bungers

Dynavin N6 - purchased & mini review.

So, after much faffing around attempting to order one from the states to try & avoid the massive price difference (you can't btw), I ended up purchasing one from the UK supplier. It should be here Thursday so I'll update this when it arrives.

I had a D90 & whilst it all worked perfectly, there were a couple of things I wanted updated, I've had to wait until this release before going back to them (currently have an Eonon D5150).

Looks impressive: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105

http://youtu.be/-BvsPcROsFE

Edited by bungers

Looks very good! But the big question - what's the damage? Lol

Edit: answered my own question. That's not bad considering how much they used to be! Look a hello lot better too!

Can you get TV on them?

For a few hundred more this may be an option instead of upgrading my ULF.. Hmmmmm..

Edited by momo

Looks very good! But the big question - what's the damage? Lol

Edit: answered my own question. That's not bad considering how much they used to be! Look a hello lot better too!

Can you get TV on them?

For a few hundred more this may be an option instead of upgrading my ULF.. Hmmmmm..

Yes you can add DVB-T & DAB+. I've still got the DVB box from my D90 which I'm hoping (but doubting) will fit. Currently looking into an OEM way of adding the necessary aerials as I don't want stickers on my windscreen or gash aftermarket aerials. I've also been told it's only the iGo that comes with it that'll work with the unit, but I prefer Sygic so will work out a way of getting that on there instead.

What's the eonon like that u currently have fitted

It's absolutely fine, I just prefer the Dynavin units.

I really like the user menu, that what i hate about my andrive, especially when you use cd's the interface is horrible but i dont think its changeable. When andrive updated there menu system i never got an update

i presume its wince seeing in the video under nav preferences it was linking to a .exe file?

subscribed > interested to here your thoughts on it, like speed of scrolling and responsiveness, customisability

Edited by Cannockwolf

Yup, the D90 was ok but had a few annoying niggles that needed sorting, like the horrible iPod interface, a few generations and it seems they have come on in leaps & bounds.

Looks similar in appearance to the touchscreen headunit I had in a 14 plate VW Golf hire car at the weekend, in terms of the style, colours & icons, wonder where they borrowed that from LOL, even shows a Golf on the OBC screen. ;)

Yup, the D90 was ok but had a few annoying niggles that needed sorting, like the horrible iPod interface, a few generations and it seems they have come on in leaps & bounds.

I really like the cohesiveness in look across the system, if the ipod connection carries on playing when the car is restarted then that could be a major point for swapping

I really like the cohesiveness in look across the system, if the ipod connection carries on playing when the car is restarted then that could be a major point for swapping

This is why I like my OEM mk4 setup with the Intravee, it just works how it should, no flashy interface, no bells & whistles, does exactly what it says on the tin, unlike the D90 that was a jack of all trades, but not particularly great at any of them.

But the N6 looks very promising, be interested to hear how Bungers gets on when it it installed.

Still the same old 786 system revamped again!

You don't need a powerful processor & PC amounts of RAM to run something like WINCE.

I think they've done well addressing the criticisms and flaws of their previous units, which is how these type of units should progress. The interface clearly resembles some of the Windows Metro styling, which was designed for touchscreens and looks nice, so why not?

If the interface runs as smoothly as the one in that clip I'll be ditching the parrot smart idea and going for this.

My thoughts exactly!

With my useless Bluetooth ULF issue i've been weighing up all the options. There's only so much i'll go up to for a Gen13 ULF (I mean it's not as if the unit does anything but pair the phone to the car), so I was thinking about an Asteroid Smart but was put off because lack of TV functionality.

So if an Asteroid Smart is ~£400 Why not pay a little extra again and get something that does it all (and looks like does it well)?

Will be interested to hear how Bungers gets on too. I e-mailed a company that sells them and they say £140 for the DVB Tuner.

Tempting..

Hi

Definitely a step in the right direction !

Better quality internals, higher quality DAC's etc as well! The other 'budget' unit's and their low quality in everything about them don't match up to this latest 'better' revision from Dynavin.

This unit is what should have come out 5 years ago and has the 'bits' I asked various Chinese manufacturers at trade shows back then!

What remains to be seen in the UK is if there's full quality support and after sales care and backup from whoever the current 'official' importer and distributor is. A few years ago there was some sort of issue/problem and nowadays, although there's a UK importer listed on the Dynavin website, there's not much feedback or response from who they are etc.

So, once people do take the plunge and purchase an N6 Dynavin and 'hopefully' find the unit works well and reliably, consistently and long term, there'll be more feedback indicating so. If there's 'problems' or 'issues' then although better than the 'budget' chinese replacements, then at around £650 owners will most likely be quite miffed. Lets see what happens over the next few months!

Andrive - is there a similar, better quality components, upgraded IC's and internals and a better 'interface' unit coming out from you guys as well?

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

Sorry it's so late but it's now installed!

1st impressions are that it's a proper quality piece of kit. The packaging & looms are all good quality, the instructions are clear, written by someone who has a decent understanding of the English language & there are tons of colour pictures should you get stuck.

qe9yzyze.jpg

u8yva2y4.jpg

4ave8u4e.jpg

repagu7y.jpg

januhyza.jpg

Fitting was easy, the headunit itself uses FAKRA connectors for both the (magnetic) GPS receiver & the FM/AM lead so there's no adaptors causing reception loss.

The external mic has a clip to go on your A pillar cover, but I routed it through the N/S A pillar, removed the OEM mic from its housing & fitted the mic in the OEM location:

u2e9utys.jpg

veturu3y.jpg

Even with the connector block, CAN BUS box, my reverse camera feed & the iPhone lead connected, there was plenty of room to play with. The preouts & dual zone looms are separate so if you're not using them (like me), you don't have to connect them, rather than having to tuck them all in somewhere anyway like on previous/other units:

ahutapah.jpg

I've taken a couple of videos showing how fluid & responsive it is. The screen doesn't appear to generate as much glare as the Eonon it's replaced, although it was dusk when I started filming so will see what it's like during proper daylight. Steering controls are spot on & even the R/T & voice control buttons are recognised. The tuner is excellent, AF works a treat and you can see in the first video that pressing the scan button only tunes into the next frequency which has a decent reception, rather than just scanning through. Manual adjustment is achieved by pressing the bottom centre, which brings up a fine tuning option. Stations are saved using their RDS name rather than frequency & radio text is displayed also. I will be uploading radio station logos onto the unit for the presets, it doesn't do anything, but makes it look prettier - will also be changing the boot logo, however you only really see the standard one when it first boots as the boot sequence is started as soon as you unlock the door. The unit stays live for ages once switched off so is straight back to where you left it, rather than having to wait for it to boot everytime - it also remembers exactly where you were too.

I have found one flaw with the unit so far, which might be a setting I haven't found or maybe an iPhoneism, but when you switch from A2DP streaming from the iPod to the iPod mode, there is no sound. I will play with this and will update if I find out why this is. I also can't seem to get either the internal or external mic to work, but again this might be a setting I haven't found yet.

I had to do 2 clips as the phone stopped recording & then ran out of memory. Apologies for the poor quality but I hope they give you a rough idea of what it's like to use - couldn't show iPod mode as I was obviously using the phone to film :-) If anyone would like a clip showing a certain mode or option then let me know.

EDIT: 2nd clip has just had its sound muted due to 'copyright'.

Part 1: http://youtu.be/AfXr3aQnOZQ

Part 2: http://youtu.be/qtLhBcg45y8

Edited by bungers