bungers

Dynavin N6 - purchased & mini review.

You'd get oil temp on the M3, but none of the other E46's

Do we know that for a fact? I ask because I thought Oil Temp was available over the k-bus (which feeds instrument cluster) but NOT the i-bus (which feeds the radio). And that was the case whether it's an M car or not (the only difference being that the M cars have a gauge to display the k-bus oil info, whilst the non-M cars don't).

I could be wrong of course. One way to tell if I'm wrong would be if the factory nav screen can display oil temp on an M3

Possibly not then, I know I can get the oil temp to display on the cluster on my M5, but the OEM nav screens don't show coolant temp, letalone oil temp, you get mpg, avg speed, range, ext temp, etc...

It's a shame though, isn't it, since Oil Temp would be much more useful!

I can confirm Sygic 12.1 works fine on the N6, I've put it on the issues micro SD so I can switch between iGo & Sygic at my leisure.

Good news.

Also Navigon works after a bit of config file editing (I tested 7.4.3), as does Igo 8. (8.3.2) Basically any WinCE nav program should work provided you can edit its config files to tell it the GPS is on COM 2 at 38400 baud

I failed at getting TMC to work on Navigon though. The N6 TMC chip is a RoyalTek on COM 3 at 38400, but Navigon only accepts GNS TMC. There used to be a workaround for the older Dynavins using a utility called MixSer (which took the COM3 Royaltek output and reconfigured it to look like GNS output on COM6) but it won't run on the N6.

Annoying, as I really liked Navigon on my D90. And I hate Primo with a passion. So I've settled on Igo8. Does Sygic have TMC? I might give that a go if it does.

Sygic does have TMC, what frequency have you got it set to as within iGo it just says scanning various frequencies & never actually shows any TMC events?

what about tomtom? i am using it on the andrive via andriod

TomTom was dropped ages ago for the WINCE platform, you can get Navigator on it but it's very dated IMO.

You'd get oil temp on the M3, but none of the other E46's

Do we know that for a fact? I ask because I thought Oil Temp was available over the k-bus (which feeds instrument cluster) but NOT the i-bus (which feeds the radio). And that was the case whether it's an M car or not (the only difference being that the M cars have a gauge to display the k-bus oil info, whilst the non-M cars don't).

I could be wrong of course. One way to tell if I'm wrong would be if the factory nav screen can display oil temp on an M3

Possibly not then, I know I can get the oil temp to display on the cluster on my M5, but the OEM nav screens don't show coolant temp, letalone oil temp, you get mpg, avg speed, range, ext temp, etc...

Yup. mpg, avg speed, range, ext temp are all available on the E39 i-bus. People refer to 'CANBUS' without appreciating that it comprises more than one bus. Only the i-bus is available at the radio harness connector.

Bungers, have you (or anyone else) noticed that the RDS TA doesn't work? If you have TA selected on the radio, it should interrupt other sources when a Traffic Announcement is made. Except it doesn't. Or not on mine at least.. It should be something they can fix in a software release though. The great thing is that, for the first time for them, Dynavin have built in a software update capability.

Small niggles though. Overall they seem to have done quite a decent job. You agree?

Sygic does have TMC, what frequency have you got it set to as within iGo it just says scanning various frequencies & never actually shows any TMC events?

Sounds like Sygic isn't looking at the correct port for the TMC signal. It's on COM3, at 38400 baud.

Some nav software will self-configure the ports, but most don't. I assume Sygic doesn't. Look through the .ini and .txt files on the SD card and you should eventually find the line where the TMC port is set.

Edited by elfer

Or, If it's IGO8 or Primo you're not getting TMC with, make sure you have this in your sys.txt file

[tmc]
show_tmc=1
port="COM,3"
baud=38400
source="royaltek"

Edited by elfer

I'm sure, through my many hours of scouring the forum, that somebody had managed to get M3 clocks working in a 330 and that everything worked except the warm up LED's (including the oil temp gauge).

If that is the case, then surely the ability would be there for this unit to read oil temp when fitted to a 330?

I'm sure, through my many hours of scouring the forum, that somebody had managed to get M3 clocks working in a 330 and that everything worked except the warm up LED's (including the oil temp gauge).

If that is the case, then surely the ability would be there for this unit to read oil temp when fitted to a 330?

No. As I said above, the instrumentation data comes from the k-bus. The radio information comes from the i-bus. They are not the same bus.

I remember reading something similar, I think it was only last year

The demo from Dynavin USA shows the navi as still being quite laggy. Your demo did`nt show much of iGo (for location reasons I guess) but can you confirm if that program is still slow on the N6, is Sygic any slicker?

There's absolutely minimal lag. In my video I planned a route to Edinburgh (from Northampton) so you can see the responsiveness. Sygic is about the same, although I've only checked that it runs so far.

Iv just bought my 330 and it has come with the older dynavin - im pretty impressed by it. having had the older version yourself - would you think its worth splashing out on the newer version? i really like my current one - i dont have any upgraded audio yet - can you tell me hows the sound difference etc?

£600 is a lot for a HU so id expect to be able to hear the difference to be honest

Iv just bought my 330 and it has come with the older dynavin - im pretty impressed by it. having had the older version yourself - would you think its worth splashing out on the newer version? i really like my current one - i dont have any upgraded audio yet - can you tell me hows the sound difference etc?

£600 is a lot for a HU so id expect to be able to hear the difference to be honest

My N6 replaced an older Dynavin, the D90 (or "v5") model from 2010-2011. I run aftermarket amps and speakers, so can't say how much of a SQ improvement there'd be on stock equipment, but I'd expect it to be relatively subtle.

The biggest change is really in the user interface on the music side. It's not that the N6 does any more than the D90, just that it does it all in a more cohesive way. In hindsight, I could have saved the money and stuck the older model. Except I really do like the new interface.

FYI, here's the user manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6D3ztMGo27LVFk4RE4tV0tOUmc/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the instructions for how to allocate icons to radio station presets (note, the icons are not loaded onto the unit so if you remove the SD card, the display reverts to the default black window): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6D3ztMGo27LR0hpWlRUX3FfY0k/edit?usp=sharing

I'm getting together a collection of BMW specific boot splash screens & will post them when all done.

Here's one more until I can get the rest of the images I have in the correct resolution:

post-20837-0-58237800-1405945120_thumb.j

Edited by bungers

That's good to hear! Was sat in my brothers A6 with his Nav system. We listen to similar/same music and I heard tones/notes on his system that you simply don't hear on mine! lol.

Think I might have to upgrade the speakers too once I get the N6. I think my drivers door speaker is dying/dead.