wrighty338

Tuned 330D owners input pls

Having just purchased my 330D im looking for advice regarding tuning process of these cars speaking from experience. Cars on 70k and swirl flaps are done.

Im looking to optimize my performance, rather then just chase figures and as i do 400 miles a week econemy is in mind still. so:

EGR's - obiouvlsy cars done 70k so a lot of soot has been recirced, i can disconnect the Vac pipe to stop operation and clean it out - will this throw an error on the ecu / eml light. Are the replacements out there even worth it?

De-cat. iv read there are several cats in the system - is the primary cat on the downpipe most notorious for holding these cars back - i dont really want any extra noise from the car or any hassle come MOT time regarding smoke output of the motor. will leaving the other cats in really restrict it that much more once mapped? bit of a daft question but it seems some places still quote good figures with only 1 cat removed

with the above 2 mods - whats the realistic peformance figures bhp/mpg wise with an Ecotune or similar map on there? Eco tune quote 250bhp/510nm where as MSD quote 270bhp with an egr delete included

Once mapped at what point is the life of my clutch/gearbox threatened by the performance increases? this is obviously something i dont want to go wrong!

Did anyone have their rear subframe mount points strengthened by bmw/another company prior to any performance increase or did you not deem it worthy - my cars 06 so still under 10 years young if anything did go. currently no other cars out there i want so i do plan on keeping this atleast a couple of years

EGR - As yours is the later 204bhp euro 4 engine if you disconnect the EGR it will throw an engine management light. This can be mapped out when you have the car remapped. Check with your mapper first as not all mappers can do it.

Cats - I'm no expert but believe the main cat is the one to remove as this holds all the heat at the turbo end.

BHP - anything around 250bhp and 500nm seems to be the norm. I've read that going above 500nm really strains the car and not good for the gearbox, clutch etc Is yours Auto or Manual?

Subframe - Not heard of many people getting theirs strengthened? I thought mostly the older M3 where affected.

I've got a 330cd getting it mapped on 14th august by Emaps and having the EGR coded out (I've got a Allard bypass pipe to fit). My car has got the main cat removed but I have never drove it before to comment on any difference but believe it will help to prolong the life of my turbo.

Very hard to say how long the clutch / flywheel will last. Bought my car on around 80k and it has already had clutch, flywheel and new turbo fitted and the last owner was a enthusiast with 5,000 mile oil changes etc

Given what you have suggested is your goal, a main cat delete, egr delete and an emaps (or cnl, or ecotune) map (circa 250bhp) will please you no end. ANY remap will put additional strain on the cars components , but at 250bhp, it is mild - especially of you don't drive it like you stole it every day!

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk (with free typos)

Edited by JasonKruys

Get the EGR mapped-out, replace the EGR itself with an Allard tube, ditch the EGR cooler, and blank the EGR outlet on the exhaust manifold. Then clean-out the inlet manifold. You mentioned smoke...... Mine used to leave thick black clouds when booting it before I did the EGR delete. Now it's barely noticable. If your EGR is the vacuum type, it shouldn't cause an EML.

Mine has allegedly been mapped (..... to around 250bhp/375lb-ft, the previous owner claimed but couldn't back it up) and with this set-up I can get well over 46mpg on a 150 mile run of mainly A-roads with about 10 miles of motorway in the middle. That figure was with bikes on the boot, so nearer 50mpg is realistic. I really need to get it to my preferred local rolling road for a power run, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Don't take too much notice of the mpg figure the OBC gives. Some are wildly inaccurate - that figure of 46mpg I quoted was claimed by the OBC to be 63mpg, IIRC.

I haven't done a de-cat myself, but it is now an MOT fail (since earlier this year). Having said that, you'll probably be OK removing the front one on a 330d as it's pretty-well hidden by the undertrays.

I woudn't be too bothered about the subframe mount issue. IMO for every 1 that gets reported on the 'net there are likely at least 10 cars that have never been afflicted. Bad news travels fast, and all that.

I can't comment on the clutch, but I wouldn't have thought 400-ish lb-ft would be a problem for the standard clutch. BMW being BMW will likely have spec'd it to be able to handle at least 50% more than standard.

HTH

Stuart.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

Hello

I bought my BMW 330 CD (55) two-three months ago.

So far I've done the following:

1. Upgrade the front control arm rear bushes to Meyle HD and Drop Links.

2. Remove Ski Hatch - Metal Plate in the middle of the rear seats.

3. Upgraded stereo system - Vibe Subwoofer 1.6KW.

4. Swirl Flap Blanks and Cleaned out Inlet Manifold.

5. Xenon HID Conversion - 8K, LED Fog Lights and LED Sidelights.

Next Jobs:

1. Remove EGR Valve. (Should of done when Swirl Done were done).

2. Remap by either CNL or BW Chiptune - go up to atleast 250BHP.

3. Maybe Blue Flame Exhaust with decat.

Regards

Just out of interest, what tyres you using?

Like people have mentioned, I've removed my EGR completely, helped significantly with black smoke. I did a terraclean too, I think it has made a difference but took about a week to feel the benefit.also, how are your injectors, have you read your values on INPA?

Cars a manual. it is mainly the older m3's affected and my cars under 10yrs old so bmw still warrant a fix on it should it break but its still in the back of my mind it could break with increased power, atleast once its done its done.i do believe it affected all 3 series too.

so which is the main CAT? the one on the downpipe?

I would always recommend getting the front pipe decat and it is the main cat, car revs soo much better without and for the cost it's a generally good mod to get! Don't worry about mot as they won't find it.

Edited by jammo

StuBeeDoo - Out of interest what benefit is there of removing the egr cooler? Never heard this before?

No benefit, as such, it's just surplus to requirement once the EGR itself is gone. There's a very good write-up here.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

i can vouch for a remap and by a company with plenty of experience and feedback,,my car is on original clutch i am to believe and ive got mine at about 260 bhp,the odd time i have had a tiny bit clutch slip,only when knobbing the nuts off it,havnt had any for a while and have thrashed it a few times,my car had 99.000 miles on in dec when mapped,now itts got 108.000 miles and veryone of them ive enjoyed,i got my egr deleted out,all for the sum with the map of £200

Edited by rasa

Mileage isn't so much of a concern as the age of the rubber bits on a low miler like yours. A remap won't break anything per se, but it'll highlight a component coming to the end of its life (bar the clutch depending on torque levels). Mine has been mapped since 88k, then more aggressively at 134k. The second map meant I ended up replacing: the clutch, DMF, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, diff mounts, subframe mounts, prop cv, prop centre bearing, prop coupling & RTABs. My diff will be added to the list soon too.

My advice - do it as it transforms the car, just be prepared to replace some parts in the not too distant future!

First thing i did to mine was disconnect egr that made a difference

Then i fitted a decat downpipe that made a huge difference to performance

3 weeks ago i had a custom map taking it to 258bhp

Very impressed mine is the 204bhp 6spd & it pulls in every gear :thumbup:

Has anyone done a back box delete ?

I changed from standard exhaust to complete blueflame.

I then removed the blueflame boxes

To be honest apart from blueflame exhaust is half the weight and has some nice pipes its not really worth it

Decat is worth the £130 (or whatever it is)

If you do go remap you will end up going for new clutch and fly not long after , no point in having remap if you have to 3/4 throttle everywhere

plenty of info on it,but with the auto they will just give out with no warning,its just what i have read,obviously,but thats how we all get knowledge,more power will inevitably put more strain on the drive train components and bushings all round,but in my opinion the map out weighs all this,ya box could go anytime anyhow without a map

Interesting read

I'm currently at swirl flap removal, primary decat, and a map with 285bhp & 450lbft. I cleaned out the egr last night, it is a vacuum hose type. Am I right In believing then that if I delete the egr via a kit, tgat it wont throw up the eml light, its a 2004 204ps engine?

I'm just waiting on a quote back from my friend to build me a 2.75" single pipe exhaust, just trying to deter whether to have 1 or 2 boxes