ccfj1

Infinity 13cm Speaker Upgrade in an E46 coupe

Some have you may have seen this on other forums, but I thought I'd share here too.

Well, I finally managed to do the speaker upgrade on the car.

Used this as a Guide .

I bought some Infinity Reference 5002i Speakers from eBay and some speaker adapters and started.

7246_1.jpg7a36_1.jpg

Adapters;

18032008069.jpg

First off, I don't really like cutting the OEM plugs off the cars loom, so i soldered some crimps on to some speaker cable and soldered them to the speakers, I then soldered the crimps as well (for a good connection).

I also wrapped the wire in harness tape so i won't get any rattles or suchlike.

15032008066.jpg

Modded Speakers;

15032008067.jpg

As you can see I had to modify the crimps so that I could use them with the cars loom connector, (i flattened the ends out and then cut and shaped them).

I then fitted the rears first

Ready to install

20032008070.jpg

OEM

20032008071.jpg

Fitting

20032008072.jpg

Modded

20032008073.jpg

Now on to the fronts

21032008076.jpg

Every thing was pretty straight forward, but here were a couple of gotchas, first one was the rear speaker covers, the tweeter sits a bit proud of the speaker so it caught the grill, so I got the hairdryer out and heated the cover (in the right place), then made a bulge, this was just enough to clear the grill.

Second was the tweeter in the door card, this is connected to the speaker via a small plug, so rather than mess about I just cut the plug off and soldered the lead to the (modded) speaker lead I had made up.

Also, i had to cut the raised lugs off the rear speaker adapters as the screws were not long enough with the lugs there.

Reassembled the door cards and refitted to door, I must say the difference is quite marked, the sound is much more crisp and clear, absolutely no distortion coupled with the Sony SOT amp it's how the system should sound from the factory.

HTH

Hiya mate. great write up, had been planning on doing the same myself but the only guides i had seen involved mounting the speakers to the door cards using fibre glass. Can i ask where you got the adaptors from and ho much they were? Got a set of JL audio TR650's sat in my boot gathering dust!

Hi Marty,

Adapters came from eBay and were £5 a pair, the cheapest I could find.

http://tinyurl.com/4hfbky

I used 5 1/4" speakers because the were cheap (£28 for 4) and I could get the adapters, so it was plug and play, the whole upgrade was less than £50, and its a whole lot better the OEM, even my missus agrees and she has a tin ear.

The only other thing I'll say is that the 5 1/4" speakers don't produce floor shaking bass, so if you do go down this route and want loads of base think about a sub or 6" in the rears.

BTW; The 6" speakers should fit (front or rear), but you may need to be creative with the adapters, as they are for 5 1/4 (13cm).

HTH

John

Hi Marty,

Adapters came from eBay and were £5 a pair, the cheapest I could find.

http://tinyurl.com/4hfbky

I used 5 1/4" speakers because the were cheap (£28 for 4) and I could get the adapters, so it was plug and play, the whole upgrade was less than £50, and its a whole lot better the OEM, even my missus agrees and she has a tin ear.

The only other thing I'll say is that the 5 1/4" speakers don't produce floor shaking bass, so if you do go down this route and want loads of base think about a sub or 6" in the rears.

BTW; The 6" speakers should fit (front or rear), but you may need to be creative with the adapters, as they are for 5 1/4 (13cm).

HTH

John

Good man,

Thanks very much for that. To be honest i'm not really a massive ICE head, i set up a cheeky snipe on these speakers and got them for silly money. Don't really wan't to get into subs and amps and stuff but was thinking about an infinity basslink II to pick up the bass a bit. From what i have read it will be more than enough for what i need. My days of vibrating windows and loud thumping bass are well and truely over LOL.

Jags, It was with an OEM satnav setup.

Allan, I've upgraded the fronts to Focal comps and added a modded HK sub, since this install, (to fill in for the lack of bass), I still have the Infinity's in the rears, but will be looking for some focals at some point (when I save some more money up, lol).