wrighty338

Sound drop outs (bm54?)

Last week my sound from the stereo was pretty intemittent, sound would drop out and come back every minute or so - lasting a few seconds at a time

i want to get this sorted before i have to commute to work on thursday so was going to get a trim remover and start looking at the back of my Dynavin for loose connections

i had the car detailed this weekend by a friend who tells me to look at the bm54 in the boot as it may be faulty - should i check this first as a possible cause for drop outs or should i got to the trouble of headunit removal aswell - not something i really want to do. but if i look at the bm54 thing in the boot - any ideas what i should look out for?

anyone had a similar experience/resolution? its only just started happening, havnt touched the car in anyway to interfere with anything etc

Hi,

It's not possible to tell as no one knows how your setup was connected up.

Any aftermarket head unit has it's own built in amplifier, so there's no need to 'connect' up the BM54. If for some reason whoever installed it did so by connecting it to the BM54 unit, you'll need to work that out first and see how they did it. If it turns out they 'have' connected it somehow, and the BM54 'is' driving the speakers, then to test, you could bypass it and run the speakers from the onboard amplifier on the Dynavin. If the problem goes, then you know you have a faulty and thus not needed BM54. If the problem persists, then you might have a faulty Dynavin.

At that point, I'd say to sell off the BM54 and any other oem audio modules you might have or, remove them and store them away. You can then have the Dynavin unit powering the speakers. If they are 'oem' speakers, they'll still work with the dynavin, and perhaps sound a bit louder too, however be careful not to drive them too hard as they don't handle much RMS power and the Dynavin's in built amp is only perhaps 4 x 22 or 23W RMS.

Cheers, Dennis!

i eventually managed to order some trim removal tools and take the headunit out, iv checked all cables and cant see any issue- popped it back in and still sound drops out every 30 seconds or so. getting annoying now. thinking it could be my headunit iv emailed dynavin for troubleshooting steps but no response

whats the best double din i could replace it with?

Wrighty, I had a cursory look at sound settings today while I was in the car, the only thing I can see in iGoPrimo Navi settings is in sounds and warnings/volume/master, check/uncheck the box and see if that helps as that controls total audio. There are other ways through your sys.txt file in the sound folder, but I would`nt change that unless you know what you are doing. I do have a V5 Dynavin firmware upgrade in a BIN file which I can email to you if you want, this includes how to update it. Before that though, try the pin hole reset on the bottom right front of the unit labelled RST, with the unit on push a pin in the hole until you hear a beep and see if that helps.

hi guys i decided on my days off to take the unit out and leave it powered off to reset it. i did notice on the one time i used the nav i had no nav sounds. your theory rings true that the nav could have been running but also on a silent mode Rich. iv reseated the unit and im set to drive to work tomorrow so il see what happens.

if its just this il be more then happy its fixed lol