gaz-777

Gaz's Graphite Grey 330ci

15 hours ago, Ger89 said:

About to order a set off CMwheels myself, did you order longer wheel bolts for the front with the 5mm spacer, or do the standard bolts have enough thread left to secure the alloys?

Also where did you source centre caps? Do standard 68mm BMW ones fit?

Hey bud, I already had longer wheel bolts when I purchased the car. So I’m only guessing you will need them to fit the wheels, never tried the original bolts so I can’t comment on them. 

I sourced my centre caps caps from eBay, there only cheap ones and yes they are 68mm so they should fit. But I did pick up some genuine bmw “m” stickers for the wheels, again on eBay. 

Great thanks for your reply, ordered the wheels and 5mm longer bolts than standard to go with the 5mm spacers. I’ll go ahead and order a set of 68mm BMW centre caps now as youve confirmed they fit. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Guys, just to update this thread I carried out an oil and filter change a few weeks ago. Also gave the pipercross panel filter a clean and replaced the pollen filter. Whilst doing the oil change I noticed an oil leak on the passenger side of the block which looked like it was coming from the oil filter housing gasket. You can’t see the leak from the top of the engine but only underneath with the bottom tray removed. So I ordered a genuine gasket from BMW and replaced the oil filter housing gasket on monday. The job was easy enough after watching a handy video on YouTube, but the majority of the job was cleaning all the oil that had leaked down the side of the block onto the steering rack and surrounding area. As I didn’t take any photos I’ve attached one from the web to show the failed housing gasket.

And after finishing that I found out that I also have another leak on the drivers side at the back of the engine. I suspect it is a failed cam cover gasket which is next on my to do list. A genuine BMW gasket is £38, anyone fitted any other brand of gasket for this job? 

EE1287EE-9E3C-48D5-92CE-522D51C8D8C8.jpeg

Edited by gaz-777

Another update to this thread, I carried out the Valve cover gasket replacement last week following a useful video on YouTube. Took about an hour and half doing it for the first time, but it was leaking quite badly at the back of the engine and dripping onto the 2nd bank primary cat. So the smell of burning oil was not nice when starting a journey. Anyway I decided to give the elring gasket a go from euro car parts, approximately £30 after their 33% off. The rubber seals on the valve cover bolts were all in good condition so I cleaned them up and re-Fitted them. I cleaned up the valve cover and surfaces well before fitting the new gasket, and any oil that had leaked around the area. I’ve just been down to Portsmouth on a family holiday and all seems to be good with no more leaks. 

The only thing annoying me now is the aux belt tensioner, the aux belt slips on cold start up. I replaced the belts when I did the coolant overhaul last summer but never replaced the tensioner, so that’s the next job. It never seems to end but I don’t mind doing the maintenance on a 14 year old car that drives and goes so well.  

I saw a comment the other day - 'hearing a new sound, and wondering how much it will cost to sort'!My aux belt makes a shocking noise - old ladies stopping and staring as I drive past.  My AC also makes a noise when it's engaged so I'm going to take the plunge and do the whole lot on Monday.

All part of the fun.  

18 minutes ago, CoupEdin said:

I saw a comment the other day - 'hearing a new sound, and wondering how much it will cost to sort'!My aux belt makes a shocking noise - old ladies stopping and staring as I drive past.  My AC also makes a noise when it's engaged so I'm going to take the plunge and do the whole lot on Monday.

All part of the fun.  

Yep all part of the fun. I had my Aircon checked over and re-gassed last month, no leaks detected and blows ice cold. I had my dad look at the belts when I started from cold and it’s the aux belt that just slips slightly but makes a horrible squeal sound. Only lasts about 10 seconds but going to work at 3am is not good when it does it!  

56 minutes ago, gaz-777 said:

Yep all part of the fun. I had my Aircon checked over and re-gassed last month, no leaks detected and blows ice cold. I had my dad look at the belts when I started from cold and it’s the aux belt that just slips slightly but makes a horrible squeal sound. Only lasts about 10 seconds but going to work at 3am is not good when it does it!  

Ah that's how mines started - used some of that spray when it started lasting longer than 10 seconds.  Now it's definitely needing doing...

I would stick to genuine gaskets as they will last longer than the Eurocarparts ones and they end up cheaper when you only have to do the job once every 90k or so.

You have to be a little careful when buying from Eurocarparts as some of the stuff they sell is complete crap. 

One thing I got from them that seems to be ok is a tensioner made by INA. However, I was then in my dealer after I bought it and asked how much it would have been from them and the tensioner and belt as a kit was the same price as just the tensioner from Eurocarparts!

So try your dealer first for genuine!

Kirkynut 

Update! 

A couple of weeks ago I changed the aux belt tensioner on the car. I purchased the ina tensioner, which was pretty good quality when it arrived. The job to change it is pretty easy and now my belt squeal has completely disappeared. It’s also tightened up and dampened down noise from the belt in general too. A job that was well overdue and should of replaced it when I did the coolant overhaul in 2018.

This year the car will see new spark plugs, diff and gearbox oil change along with the normal engine oil and filter change. In other news I have a faulty rear parking sensor which needs looking at 🙄

On 20/08/2019 at 08:02, kirkynut said:

I would stick to genuine gaskets as they will last longer than the Eurocarparts ones and they end up cheaper when you only have to do the job once every 90k or so.

You have to be a little careful when buying from Eurocarparts as some of the stuff they sell is complete crap. 

One thing I got from them that seems to be ok is a tensioner made by INA. However, I was then in my dealer after I bought it and asked how much it would have been from them and the tensioner and belt as a kit was the same price as just the tensioner from Eurocarparts!

So try your dealer first for genuine!

Kirkynut 

I bought the ina tensioner from a place on eBay for £26. Way cheaper than euro!