Midnightclub

Lowered coupé - front brake lines rubbing ARB

Hey guys,

I've got HSD monopro coilovers and am running the short drop links (they're hyundai I believe??) but they're a bit too short meaning the brake lines are able to rub the ARB, obviously not good!

Other than going to adjustables, are there any others people use to combat this? There cable tied away from the ARB at present but I want a permanent fix. I did think about removing the ARB entirely, but after reading a few threads, people think it would be detrimental to handling.

Thanks!

Edited by Midnightclub

I'm running standard droplinks on my HSDs.

No issues with anything. (Indeed, I tried the shorter ones and found that they messed the ARB position up IIRC.

Yes annoyingly mines fixed.. Do you have monopro too or are they the DualTec(?).

Long shot I know, but do you have any pictures of how the droplink is relative to the shock body?

After looking on HSD's site they advise that monopro do have adjustable ARB mounting bracket, so I've messaged them to find out why mine doesn't have this.

Edited by Midnightclub

They 100% don't have an adjustable mount, it's welded to the shock body for a start! lol. If it was adjustable I wouldn't have this problem.

I can only assume they're an earlier generation before they changed design or something.. Will see what they come back with.

I think they're both on the floor, but they're not recent, so I can't really recall.

The early ones came with fixed brackets and adjustable links I think, but they changed it for some reason.

Adjusters are fairly low now I think, there's not much space left - maybe a cm or two at the most?

If it helps, which I don't imagine it does, it sits like this:

_DSC1260.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I thought they must have been an earlier design or something. Hopefully they can offer me some adjustable links which aren't silly money..

Mine isn't THAT low, will grab a pic on the way to lunch so people can see my predicament

Fair play i didn't realise they had changed the design.

Have a look at McGill motorsports, you can get rose jointed adjustable drop links from there for not too much money!

Thanks for the suggestion, there prices do seem very reasonable! Would you possibly be able to suggest what I'd need from there (as they seem to sell the components individually)? And does anyone know the length of the original links off the top of there head?

I've popped McGill a message seeing if they can suggest what would be best, although did find this:

From this thread: http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/41123-running-with-no-front-anti-roll-bar/

1meter m12 rod

4 x m12 rose joints

4xm12 jam nuts

4x m12-m10 reducers

4xm10 button head bolts

8x m10 washers

4xm10 nylocks

3FFF51E2-9760-49A2-BD63-B3C4894BC28F-692

Edited by Midnightclub

Okay, got a couple of pics before the heavens opened.. There is literally no chance the original drop links are going to work here, so there goes that idea...!

As you can see, no way a stock link will fit here:

IMAG1452.jpg

and the clearance I've got with cable ties.. you can see where it's been rubbing..

IMAG1453.jpg

That's my picture you posted and the joints didn't last long at all then I replaced them but put the rubber boots on and they lasted much longer

You can get more noise from them though

The road noise doesn't really bother me much.. Thanks for your advice.

Have you got the shock located correctly in the hub

Yeah, there's only one way you can mount it, there's a metal lug that fits between the gap at the back of the strut where it locates.

Had a reply back from HSD, they confirmed around 2-3 years ago they changed design. They offered me the newer design mounting bracket... for £50 (£15 each, plus £7.50 for each extra locking collar)! Or they advise I get adjustable links.

Edited by Midnightclub

Waiting to hear back from McGill after giving them some measurements.

In the mean time, I've found that ford puma/mk1 focus drop links are around 238mm which seems about right for what I need and also happen to only cost about £10 a set so may give those a go and see how it turns out.

I had same issue as you but i read online that i had to have both sides of the car in the air and undo both drop links. It will allow you to push the roll bar down far enough so you can put standard drop links in. I actually spoke to driftworks (HSD supplier) and they told me HSD are actually designed to work with standard drop links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had my new coilovers on for the last 6 months and i bought brand new standard drop links and haven't had to change them once still going strong! Yep i will grab a pic next time i have my wheels off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk