Arnold

Bank Transfer......

Hey guys,

Found a nice set of wheels and agreed on a good price with the seller.He said it's cash on collection or bank transfer.

I live far from the guy so I can't pick them up,never used bank transfer.Is it safe to send the money with bank transfer???

Don't want to do any mistake that's why I asked you guys before.

Thanks,Arnold

Unless you're backed up by something like ebay or paypal I wouldn't buy used wheels without seeing them in person to make sure they're straight and undamaged. Photos can be easily misleading/manipulated. If you want the wheels and the price is right then make the time to go get them in person. What if the guy sends you a box with bricks in it, recorded delivery? He has "proof of delivery" so you have little or no prospect of chasing him in the courts. Way too risky and far too many shameless scammers out there these days, unfortunately.

Unless you're backed up by something like ebay or paypal I wouldn't buy used wheels without seeing them in person to make sure they're straight and undamaged. Photos can be easily misleading/manipulated. If you want the wheels and the price is right then make the time to go get them in person. What if the guy sends you a box with bricks in it, recorded delivery? He has "proof of delivery" so you have little or no prospect of chasing him in the courts. Way too risky and far too many shameless scammers out there these days, unfortunately.

Where is he based

www.bobsbmw.co.uk

Thanks for the reply guys. He live far, (350miles), so no chance to pick up the wheels,way too long journey. Courier only £25 so that's why I dont want to go.He sent me loads of pics and the price is also not bad so I will think about it again and will reply him tomorrow.Maybe he will sell the wheels and I don't have to take the risk.

No problems but it's the same as handing over a wad of cash with no comeback. Once the money is gone, it's gone.

If you trust the seller then it's your call

Maybe consider an Escrow service?

Escrow service?Never heard of that,will do a google search.

What about paypal? I am sure he has paypal account that's a bit better.

He said no paypal account bankd transfer or cash.

Even no PayPal if you offer to cover his fees? Bit dodgy if he still says no IMO.

Not suggesting you do, but it could be a good litmus test.

Edited by TriggerFish

Would never give someone a bank transfer like that! There's absolutely nothing to stop them from just taking your money and leaving you as you are. I'd use PayPal only or even better ask them to list the item on eBay and pay them through PayPal, that way you're protected by eBay's buyer protection scheme too.

Don't trust him.

There is little to no viable reason he shouldn't take paypal.

It's secure for the pair of you. It sounds like he's a sly character unfortunately. Stay well clear. Just take your time to find the right wheels and a trustworthy seller.

Just out of interest where did you find the wheels? Are they on eBay or elsewhere?

ive just bought whels using paypal and just sold wheels using the bank although the buyer paid through his bank in person,paypal you are covered aslong as it is paid or recieved as goods and not as a gift,i paid as a gift,although it was from someone on here,it is a risk

i bet if you said yes to pick them up hel make up an excuse, he probably said cash on collection to make it seem like hes a genuine guy...but like others said don't trust him..

paypal (its not that hard to set up) or look for others

Wow there is a lot of distrust based on no known facts in this thread.

Sure you have protection with paypal and it is wise to use that if you can.

But just because someone doesn't have paypal does not automatically mean they are a scammer or a thief.

If it was me I would collect them as even with paypal people regularly get scammed and I would never buy wheels long distance without collecting them. Also if they arrived damaged then you have the hassle of sorting out who is at fault, the seller or the courier?

OP if you can't collect them then keep looking for wheels that are more local to you.

me personally i wouldn't bank transfer a few hundred pounds to someone i dont know, there is a lot of distrust around,

Neither would I but the way I read it is the guy wants cash on collection (which is the most sensible way of buying wheels), which a lot of people do with larger items as they don't want the hassle of packaging and waiting around for a courier.

If he doesn't get cash he is prepared to use a bank transfer, that doesn't mean he is a thief or a scammer.

Maybe he has been caught before with PayPal? If the courier damages the wheels and they were paid for by paypal then a dispute would be opened and more than likely the buyer gets a refund or part refund and the seller gets stitched up through no fault of his own.

I just think it's harsh to label someone as dodgy, a scammer or a thief when you know nothing about him and very little about the situation.

Take on board what 90% of people on here have said. I would never bank transfer anything unless i knew the person personally and trusted them.

I think it's 100% of people saying don't bank transfer.

Similarly I would never use the gift option on paypal for buying or selling:)

me personally i wouldn't bank transfer a few hundred pounds to someone i dont know, there is a lot of distrust around,

Neither would I but the way I read it is the guy wants cash on collection (which is the most sensible way of buying wheels), which a lot of people do with larger items as they don't want the hassle of packaging and waiting around for a courier.

If he doesn't get cash he is prepared to use a bank transfer, that doesn't mean he is a thief or a scammer.

Maybe he has been caught before with PayPal? If the courier damages the wheels and they were paid for by paypal then a dispute would be opened and more than likely the buyer gets a refund or part refund and the seller gets stitched up through no fault of his own.

I just think it's harsh to label someone as dodgy, a scammer or a thief when you know nothing about him and very little about the situation.

i never said he was a scammer, thief or dodgy LOL..just said don't trust him...but please let him/her prove me wrong, at the end of the day its up to the OP what they do..were just giving advice to a post they put up

Edited by cos01

i never said he was a scammer, thief or dodgy LOL..just said don't trust him...but please let him/her prove me wrong
Read my post again as I didnt say you called him anything. LOL

I said in this thread he had been labelled all of those things. One person even suggests that there are no wheels and collecting them is a bluff

I actually agree it's a bad move to pay by bank transfer but it's more likely than not the seller really wants cash on collection and isn't dodgy at all.

I find this whole thread bizarre and even more so considering the op had a s**tload of trouble buying a set of wheels in the past from ebay that arrived damaged. With all the hassle he had with that set (even though he had paypal protection) why on earth would you even consider buying wheels without looking at them, let alone a bank transfer!

I drove from Birmingham to Scotland for a set of wheels because the price was right and it was a chance to drive some ace roads and take the mrs on a day trip.

If the OP really want the wheels then i say go collect, kill 2 birds with one stone and make the mrs happy and everyones a winner :thumbsup: