rasa

just fitted nangkangs x4

There will always be those who insist that Nankangs are s**t, and those who disagree.

From my own experience (I bought a car with Nankangs already on) I would never buy them, or any other budget tyre. My reasons are three-fold.....

1) I found them to have very little wet grip.

2) They were horrendously noisy.

3) Despite checking the alignment more than once, it was only after binning the Nankangs that the car stopped tramlining.

I prefer my tyres to be quiet and am more than willing to pay for that.

Tyres are like everything else on the car - you get what you pay for. IMO a premium brand car needs decent quality parts. It boils my piss that people buy 10+ year old BMWs because they are cheap and then moan that they cost money to keep running. Just because what was once a £30k+ car is now worth less than a tenth of that doesn't mean that it no longer has the running costs it had when it was new. :rolleyes:

tried a few tight little roundabouts tonight and they were good no understeer at all and it was pretty wet,i wasnt hooning it but was brisk and hardish on steering,they will do for me,and i only bought them after a few of the members on here had had them on,i think one of the members was the guy with the 5.7 car i forget whp now. ps roundabouts had no other cars on and a bit of run off just in case

I've never tried Nangkangs (and nor will I through choice), but I did have budgets (one Yoko and one Arrowspeed - the Arrowspeed seemed the worse as it would spin up before the Yoko IIRC) on the back recently after obtaining new wheels, and when I took them off, the whole car is nicer to drive and more stable/predictable (so more relaxing). Plus it's quieter too. There's also more grip, as well.

Those first two points alone are worth it for me over cheap tyres.

Edited by TriggerFish

I've never tried Nangkangs (and nor will I through choice), but I did have budgets (one Yoko and one Arrowspeed - the Arrowspeed seemed the worse as it would spin up before the Yoko IIRC) on the back recently after obtaining new wheels, and when I took them off, the whole car is nicer to drive and more stable/predictable (so more relaxing). Plus it's quieter too. There's also more grip, as well.

Those first two points alone are worth it for me over cheap tyres.

A mismatch of tyres would of had a far bigger impact than the composition of the budget tyres thereselves mate. But as I said earlier, everyone has there own individual opinions and I respect the fact that you have yours.

I actually agree with Stu on the maintenance issue, maintenance should not be skimped upon with cars like these, especially the 6 cylinder engines. Although they are not fast cars in the grand scheme of things, they are still a performance car (when compared to the average everyday vehicle - focus/astras/corsas etc) and should be treated as such.

Saying that, I do not class Tyres as a maintenance part, they are a consumable item (like brake pads) and using cheaper brands will not have any adverse effects on the cars mechanical reliability (unless if course you crash it).

It is certainly not an indication of how meticulously the car has been maintained, or if that vehicle has/has not been respectfully driven. A lot of my friends now use budget tyres after driving/passenger rides in my vehicles and seeing that they are perfectly adequate for road use. These are the same people who cherish their vehicles and maintain them regardless of cost. I also know a lot of people who buy tyres for brand snobbery (a mate of a mate said they were the best tyre in the world) and drive the vehicle like they stole everyday even when the engine is cold.

Find it more funny as Arrowspeed are actually a Goodyear f1 compound albeit a generation behind the current ones.

Tyres are like arseholes everybody has one.

Didn't know mismatched tyres made a difference. I try and replace it pairs/fours usually. First time for a while I'd had different models on the same axle. Either way, they were subjectively less pleasant, and given most days you don't push the tyres, I'd want something that 'feels' nice I guess, which for me, isn't to be found in a budget.

On the maintenance front - it's interesting, as I don't find this an expensive car to keep going for the most part.

Goodyears must drift well then ;)

Edited by TriggerFish

As far as I understand, once the tires are the exact same size in terms of width, rim size and wall size then you just have bad grip and unpredictable handling.

I think a friend of mine ran into issues because he had a Sierra with a welded diff with different sizes on the rear axle. It was just a car for thrashing and he never kept cared about the rears. Does that make sense?

I always understood it that different Tyres, with different compounds/tread patterns/sidewalls will have 2 completely different characteristics. By having 2 separate types on one axle you will have the axle trying to do the same thing with both wheels, but the tyres having completely different behaviors.

So one will lose grip before the other, one might disperse water better than another etc.. It just leads to a completely unbalanced ride, and as kermits said bad handling and unpredictability.

Edited by L4nky808

Yeah you're spot on there now that I've read it! With different sizes the wheels will be moving at slightly different speeds, I never thought about the characteristics being different ;)

I've had ns2s on 8js all round, and now ns20s on M3 alloys, and not had a problem yet.

Might be noisier than a Michelin, but i listen to rock and metal, and have no backbox.

Never lost it in the wet, never even been twitchy in the wet, and no tramlining.

It's an obvious thing really.

Buy budgets, and you need to be a bit more aware that you aren't running great tyres, so don't try and drive it like Ayrton senna, and you'll be fine.

If i can go wherever i like with nankangs on my daily without an issue,mostly driving a bit faster than a lot of the cars i see on the road, why would i spend more?

I know some of you guys haven't tried budgets, but from driving around with these, id say that if you do actually need a better tyre, you drive to aggressively.

I appreciate that you may not have had to perform an emergency stop in the last 15 years however, it doesn't mean that you will not have to perform one tomorrow (fingers crossed you don't).

I currently have Falcon's on mine, without going out in the rain I couldn't tell you which ones... these cost £118 a corner + fitting. I highly recommend them and feel that they are up there with Dunlop SP's I've previously had.

ha ha cant believe what happened a couple of days ago,a single decker bus pulled straight out in front of me,i was only doing about 28-30 as a bend was coming up,the bus i seen when driving up and thought nothing of it until he carried straight on and if i had of not been concentrating i would have t-boned him,my abs kicked in and it was a proper emergency stop,was dry ish but the car came to a stop very quick,the driver also broke hard,i was waving at him as we were both stationary and he was apologising,i pulled away and noticed the bus had pulled over,probably the passengers had been thrown about,

Just put ns2's on the back of my 330d and was apprehensive with the mixed reviews but they've been very sure footed so far with plenty of wet weather driving, I'm happy!

Just because what was once a £30k+ car is now worth less than a tenth of that doesn't mean that it no longer has the running costs it had when it was new. :rolleyes:

Running costs are more than when they were new if anything!

ABS kicking in shows the tyre is losing grip which in dry ish conditions isn't very good.

I did a test for a mate one day in my supra which had 4 pot fronts with 2 pot rears, disc size

around 13", the tyres were Conti sport 3's, no sign of the ABS kicking in from a very

hard stop from way over the national speed limit, all done on a private track of course :)

ABS kicking in shows the tyre is losing grip which in dry ish conditions isn't very good.

I did a test for a mate one day in my supra which had 4 pot fronts with 2 pot rears, disc size

around 13", the tyres were Conti sport 3's, no sign of the ABS kicking in from a very

hard stop from way over the national speed limit, all done on a private track of course :)

maybe but considering the bus was exavtly in front of me and i had to really stand on the brakes and i only ended up 2ft from the bus,closest ive been to a head on smash,bus was prob only 20 yards wen it pulled straight in my path,good job i was going slowly coz ive i had of been doing say 35 then i would prob of hit it and had a nice claim in

i had to really stand on the brakes.........good job i was going slowly

ABS kicking-in on a low-speed emergency stop definitely isn't at all good! :o

Edited by StuBeeDoo

i had to really stand on the brakes.........good job i was going slowly

ABS kicking-in on a low-speed emergency stop definitely isn't at all good! :o

Ahhh yes, agreed. Someone who doesn't really understand the physics behind their ABS system.

Better tyres would have stopped without employing the ABS, thus stopping you even quicker.

also when i ssy it was dryish it was damp,as it had been raining for a couple of days,thats driyish to me,no lying water

They are terrible. I replaced all 4 3mm Nangkank NS-2's on my 330ci to Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY 2's, much better, silent! NK's sounded like all 4 wheelbearings were duff, and back of the car came out unexpectantly at sub 30mph speeds on wet corners.

Tyres are like the most important part of the car - it connects the car to the road - why skimp?

Tyres are like the most important part of the car - it connects the car to the road - why skimp?

:thumbup: Amen to that!

ill stick to the ns-2,and let yous all know when im dead ha ha

At the end of the day, Rasa, :D

Haters_zps210a55ae.png

Edited by StuBeeDoo

To be honest its your car and fit what you want,

I do 40K a year, (Done 170K personally in my 330d) have a race car a road bike and a track bike, therefore quite a few miles and lots of tyres

I truly believe if you ave been running a mid range tyre then the Nankang's will feel pretty ok when new compared to your worn Khumo/Falken, but in real terms they are a mile away from Michelin/Goodyear and Continental.

It also depends on your style of driving, my mum could drive my car for 12 month and not notice the difference between a Conti and a Remold as she barley goes over 60mph, works in the centre of Birmingham and mainly in traffic.

I however live in the country do massive mileage inc lots of motorway, and its said i on occasion drive enthusiastically, this is when you see the differences between the tyres, especially in wet weather and standing water.

My experience of Nankang (yes i did try them) was after a few thousand miles the grip dropped off and never ever had the confidence in them, the road noise was a lot higher as well, i ditched them with 5.8mm left (sold them on ebay actually), i think the best of the midrange were Falken's even though i didn't get massive mileage out of them. (just under 10K on rears)

Even though i have tried them and have an open mind, i have gone back to Conti or Goodyears (Goodyears seem to last 2-3K more than Conti, also Contis at just above legal limit arent quite as Goodyears but for out and out grip down to 2mm there excellent)

We have also tried lots of road tyres on wet track days in a 400bhp FWD car with a gripper diff when its to wet for semi slicks, and the rainsports are excellent

So as said, its up to you what you fit and if your happy then great its your car and its you opinion, we all look for different things.

For me

Road Car Conti or Goodyear (Michelin are excellent but more expensive) (330d remapped, decat, performance system, EGR Delete)

Track Car - Dunlop DGZ03 (semi Slick) (400bhp FWD, 32psi boost and 350 ft lb )

Track Car Wet road tyres - Rainsports or Full wets (not road legal)

Road Bike - Michelin Power pilot 3 (or road pilot3) (110bhp)

Track Bike Pirelli Super Corsa Diablo SC1.s (soft Compund) (125 bhp)

Just remember opinions are like arseholes, (we all have one lol)

Edited by Jasesapphy

I do 40K a year, (Done 170K personally in my 330d) have a race car a road bike and a track bike, therefore quite a few miles and lots of tyres

I truly believe if you ave been running a mid range tyre then the Nankang's will feel pretty ok when new compared to your worn Khumo/Falken, but in real terms they are a mile away from Michelin/Goodyear and Continental.

It also depends on your style of driving, my mum could drive my car for 12 month and not notice the difference between a Conti and a Remold as she barley goes over 60mph, works in the centre of Birmingham and mainly in traffic.

I however live in the country do massive mileage inc lots of motorway, and its said i on occasion drive enthusiastically, this is when you see the differences between the tyres, especially in wet weather and standing water.

My experience of Nankang (yes i did try them) was after a few thousand miles the grip dropped off and never ever had the confidence in them, the road noise was a lot higher as well, i ditched them with 5.8mm left (sold them on ebay actually), i think the best of the midrange were Falken's even though i didn't get massive mileage out of them. (just under 10K on rears)

Even though i have tried them and have an open mind, i have gone back to Conti or Goodyears (Goodyears seem to last 2-3K more than Conti, also Contis at just above legal limit arent quite as Goodyears but for out and out grip down to 2mm there excellent)

We have also tried lots of road tyres on wet track days in a 400bhp FWD car with a gripper diff when its to wet for semi slicks, and the rainsports are excellent

So as said, its up to you what you fit and if your happy then great its your car and its you opinion, we all look for different things.

For me

Road Car Conti or Goodyear (Michelin are excellent but more expensive) (330d remapped, decat, performance system, EGR Delete)

yup opinions are like arseholes but also depends on which sex you poke ha ha

For me

yup opinions are like arseholes but also depends on which sex you poke ha ha

Your a bad man Rasa