bungers

Bungers' 'Frankenstein' e92 335d

I've been caning the O/T recently and decided to treat myself, I've always known it was going to happen eventually but I was casually searching to see what 335d's were out there and stumbled across 2 I liked. One was a facelift sparkling graphite 390bhp e92, but the bloke ended up not getting back to me, the other was this montego blue e92.

It was advertised Sunday afternoon & I collected it last night. I love the colour & spec, plus the previous owner has already carried out some of the subtle mods I would inevitably end up doing myself so all good there!

It's going on the rollers after the 330cd does & Motech Mike is going to pull the map apart to have a look at what's going on as on the way home last night I found out that my e46 is considerably quicker than it, especially once they both got properly 'rolling' ;-)

The car came with 230's & a set of 359m's, I also got a pair of OEM M3 mirrors & an updated intercooler in the deal.

Here's a couple of pics from the ad:
Current:
572efef4b7130a6fdf5f20b5354b7677.jpg
35606e9bb5384bfca161620614adfe1f.jpg
Once I've fitted the mirrors & other wheels:
179d8846dc1e1f29b8ac36b9b7f03047.jpg

Went a bit stupid today & have already purchased a complete set of brand new OEM LCI (facelift) rear lights, plus the latest available iteration of the HDD version of CIC (idrive).

Things to do:
1. Sort whatever is making it slower than my 330!
2. Start the process of getting the handling the way I like it
3. Fit the CIC & rear lights
4. Look into mental power upgrades / possible BBK.

EDIT: forgot to explain the 'Frankenstein' in the title - the factory build sheet is the strangest I've ever seen, it's basically an e92 'ES'. Everything on it is msport (suspension, seats, steering wheel, exterior trim), yet the original buyer didn't order the msport exterior styling (bumpers & skirts). My only thinking is that they really liked the colour, (which is only available on SE's), but still wanted the msport bits?

Edited by bungers

Nice.

So you'll have the r, this and the the e46?

Well the bus will be going once the R turns up, the 205's still 'queening' it up in the garage, but yeah. I think of it as I'm doing my bit for the environment, I can only drive one car at once!

Looks awsom mate,

I recently got a 530d E60 231bhp model - Just got it remapped to around 275bhp + oodles of torques.

I had a running problem, and deleting the EGR cured it. Needed the remap to code out the check, but i'd say your lack of boost is almost certainly:

-EGR (unplug, see if it's better)

-MAF (same)

-DPF blocked

Have you done the temperature test? Or does yours have a temp gauge? Mine needed both thermostats before it started regenerating the DPF ( you notice a lack of performance, different engine tone and higher shift points when it's doing it)

That's lovely, one of the best colours I've seen on an e92 and the 359m's suit it sooo well. (as do the 230s)

You already had one of my favourite E46 coupe's on here and now a wicked e92 to match. If your e46 is anything to go by this will turn out great.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Ref the 230's, that'll be 3 sets now, one set will stay with the 330, one set will be the winters for the 335 and the other set will be sold.

It's got an M3 DCT steering wheel on it (which is lovely btw), this has proper - & + paddles rather than both -/+ on each side like the standard steering wheel. I've found myself wanting the paddles to be that little bit bigger so I've ordered a pair of brushed aluminium extended paddles. Also today I ordered 5m of silicon hose, a Forge turbo to intercooler boost hose as this one is covered in oil & some LCI LED number plate lights from Cotswold.

The 330 is going on the rollers on Monday, it's getting tested at the place which imports Dyno Dynamics rollers so should be accurate! The 335 is having it's current map checked over by Mike, then going on the rollers just to see what it's putting out. Then once the vacuum pipes, boost pipe & intercooler are fitted I'll be letting Mike do his worse!

I'm having some new Michelin super sports fitted to the 359's, then they'll be going on along with the M3 mirrors. Next on the shopping list will be an M3 interior (need to find something a bit 'special' though), an M5 gearknob, some different gaitors and maybe some front splitters. Need to research the various suspension options (it's on H&R springs atm) and get some polybushed components in there just to tighten everything up.

Just get the DPF disabled via a remap, no MOT problems then. I'll be getting this one removed (it's only a month old!).

In 2 minds atm ref the 330. Watching it on the way back from the pick up of the 335 made me love it even more but it's not really practical to keep so will probably end up putting it up for sale (I've just had some genuine BMW performance grilles delivered that I forgot about too!).

It'll be for sale on here first before anywhere else when I do decide to part with it.

Be careful with the DPF, I hear you must physically remove the filter and then code it out, but new rules make it an instant MOT failure now. I'm not sure if small friendly garages will let you pass without it.

Hopefully someone on here will take it, at least that way you have a much bigger chance of getting a better price for it!