bungers

Bungers' 'Frankenstein' e92 335d

I'll be having a word with Mike about it when he examines the current map.

True, I can't let it go for peanuts & I'd sooner it go to someone on here anyway.

Edited by bungers

Lovely car colour is really great.

With the DPF you can always just gut the inside and weld it back up then technically the DPF is there just with nothing in it.

Bungers you having to get the CIC emulator so it doesn't moan about your car not having the relevant FSC codes?

Think I'll be getting the Wagner downpipe; had a DPF error message on the idrive this afternoon, got DIS on it & went for a run, the DDE has signalled that a regen is required, exhaust back pressure is well over what it should be so went for a run with DIS monitoring, regen didn't happen & I must have done 20 miles at running temp holding 3rd gear :-(

I'm presuming this is what's causing the lack of power as I monitored requested v actual boost & it was about 3/4 bar under so its either clogged DPF or a problem with the turbos as I also had an error logged ref the small turbo pressure. I've researched & apparently it might not regen if there's a problem with glow plugs so ordered 6 Bosch items that'll get fitted next week.

Won't be long 'till this is sorted & then I can get on & properly enjoy the car!

On a side note, I fitted the OEM M3 mirrors & started doing some coding - there's so many more modules to play with!

I cleared all DDE faults before I went out. I'm thinking the previous owner had a problem hence the new DPF, but that's obviously not the issue.

Cheers Jay & welcome back! Have you returned to e46 ownership now?

I'll get this sorted soon enough, it's not going into limp mode or anything but I want it 100% before I start chasing big figures.

Anyone recommend decent coilovers for these, I'm more than happy with the mono pro's on the e46 but wondered if there was a 'preferred' brand for these?

I'll get this sorted soon enough, it's not going into limp mode or anything but I want it 100% before I start chasing big figures.

Anyone recommend decent coilovers for these, I'm more than happy with the mono pro's on the e46 but wondered if there was a 'preferred' brand for these?

Thanks mate :)

Just bought the metallic red 323i saloon back off my manager as it was getting a bit old for him.

I would love to buy your 330cd dependant on when you sell it!

Must be a little disheartening having the issues your having so early into your owner ship but surley with your knowledge & expertese you'll have it sussed in next to no time :)

The stance looks pretty spot on at the moment, forgive my skim reading or is it on just shocks & springs @ the mo or OEM?

Thanks mate :)

Just bought the metallic red 323i saloon back off my manager as it was getting a bit old for him.

I would love to buy your 330cd dependant on when you sell it!

Must be a little disheartening having the issues your having so early into your owner ship but surley with your knowledge & expertese you'll have it sussed in next to no time :)

The stance looks pretty spot on at the moment, forgive my skim reading or is it on just shocks & springs @ the mo or OEM?

Sweet, thought you'd get a different one though to add to the tally! It'll probably be up for sale in the next 2-3 weeks as that's when the insurance runs out. Tbh if I'd not been 'playing' against the 330 & didn't have DIS on it I'd probably not think much of it, but now I know it's not 100% I'll not stop until it's perfect.

It's on H&R springs & standard shocks (which feel ever so slightly past their best tbh), it's a compliant ride, but a bit too vague for me.

Car looks really good mate. If you were even considering selling the 359's let me know as i am after a set for my Z4 M Coupe. :thumbsup:

Hope you get to the bottom of the power issues though without too much trouble.

Cheers Simon, the 359's won't be going anywhere I'm afraid, you need some genuine CSLs on the M

Well the e46 isn't slow by any means, but I went for a drive with DIS on it monitoring various things & there's a low pressure (small turbo) boost issue, coupled with a high back pressure issue. All vac pipes & pressure converters will be replaced next week & once Mike is back from Vegas, the DPF/CAT will be getting removed & mapped out. A new intercooler & Forge turbo outlet to intercooler pipe are also getting fitted so I'm expecting good things ASAP.

Have you checked that your car is getting to temperature.

To get a dpf regen you need:

At least 4 glow plugs working

At least 85ish degrees water temp

No error codes

Be in drive Not manual

I think cruise needs to be deactivated too

I unplugged my maf and egr diagnosing a fault and whilst I cleared the codes it didn't regen for a month. As soon as they were wiped by the indi it regenned instantly.

You can tell it's doing it as it'll hold onto the gears much longer almost like you're in sport mode.

No way it'll be blocked after a month. Mine does a regen pretty much weekly

Also why waste money on vac pipes and pressure converter just get the swirl flaps removed, egr deleted. Won't be much that needs the vac system then

Because the turbo's are vacuum controlled. There's 3 P/C's on the 335d, one for the EGR & 2 for the turbo's.

Spent ages last night going over the car. Fitted the Forge red boost pipe replacement - that was a bitch as it's a little shorter than the original. Also replaced 3 of the 4 vac pipes with silicon items, the 4th one was too hard to get to so will be doing that at a later stage...

Turns out the new intercooler that came with the car didn't have the correct fittings at the boost pipe ends so the original one was cleaned up & refitted for now. I've ordered a Wagner upgraded intercooler & their downpipe (DPF/CAT replacement pipe) http://www.wagner-tuning.uk/bmw-e90-series-335d-performance-package-522-p.asp

Also noticed while the front bumper was off that it had the OEM front PDC sensors attached (previous owner told me they were blanks!) so I've ordered the remaining various items to retrofit front PDC (PDC controller, loom, centre console switch). Also ordered a new headlight washer cover as one of the springs on the O/S one is damaged.

It boosts a little better lower down the rev range but still isn't right 100% and still flat when the big turbo should be boosting. Whilst it was jacked up I noticed yet another e90 common problem - the fuel tank vent pipe is damaged so when the tank is brimmed it leaks into the rear arch liner and then all over the floor! New one (BMW updated the part because of this) ordered also.

Finally got the 359m's fitted & they transform the car's looks (as can be seen in the pics). The H&R springs look in good condition but I will be definitely be getting some coilovers as the rear dampers are starting to show their age (knew this anyway from the handling).

Cheers dude!

Fitted a couple of goodies tonight; set of new full OEM LCI rear lights (needed coding), picked up the parts I need to fit the LCI rear number plate lights too. Will make the loom up and get them fitted next week.
Before:
d3336f58f884d641adc5e3064cb41f5e.jpg
After:
204fac4d96f6d8dc1a51b31a2b212308.jpg

Also fitted an M3 nappa split armrest as the standard one doesn't come far enough forward:
4e198a2ce558425f75cb4121dddf257a.jpg

These brushed aluminium extended paddles also turned up for the M3 DCT wheel that's fitted. Not got them on yet:
1d0ab4183a9b12f2fe63b22d5a3d6268.jpg

New diamond black centre console and associated cables to go with the 2013 CIC upgrade (why do BMW charge sooo much for cables?!):
5629c973015a76ff71cb4e18f52248c2.jpg

Edited by bungers