Callum

Apple CarPlay

Hi there

I'm considering installing Apple CarPlay in my E46, so it'll require panel relocation, which isn't a huge deal.

I know that the heater is just behind the radio and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this will fit.

Also does anyone know whether or not CoPilot GPS works on the screen?

Thanks in Advance

Which headunit are you going to install? CarPlay is just a feature on some units.

Aye need the dimensions of the unit. If full double din then it'll need the airbox cutting

www.bobsbmw.co.uk

Hi,

There's a number of Pioneer head unit's that are CarPlay compatible via a firmware update and also a unit which has it as standard currently. In due course, more head units from Pioneer as well as other premium brands will also have Apple Carplay and then also I suspect, Android Auto as well.

For now though, the Pioneer head units with a disk mechanism will be like any other 'traditional' depth double DIN units and as mentioned above, to have them fit 'flush', the cabin airbox will need to be cut/modified to make the room for them. This needs to be done carefully and properly as if the internal air flow flaps are cut wrong, then airflow can be severely compromised etc.

The Car Play specific head unit from Pioneer doesn't have a disk mechanism SPH DA120, annoyingly though, it's still a traditional depth unit, so still needs the airbox mod.

If you have Co-Pilot GPS on your smartphone working, then you can 'mirror' it's display on the DA 120.

Cheers, Dennis!

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/pioneer-sph-da120-with-apple-carplay

This is the one I'd be getting if I were to get a car play radio, sorry for the confusion.

I guess this is a good time to mention I work at Halfords and get a sizeable discount :)

I don't really want to cut apart the car so I may have to find an alternative.

Edited by Callum

Ah the AppRadio, I had one in the Alfa and as its a proper double DIN you'd have to make some modifications I believe. Why not take advantage of the Halfords 'we fit it for you' service :lol:

Hi,

As per my response, the SPH DA120 is a traditional depth double DIN even though there's no disk transport.

The only shallow depth, touchscreen, fully featured, double DIN head unit on the market is the Parrot Asteroid Smart. The 2nd generation of this unit is due 'soon' so it 'might' have Apple CarPlay - I've not seen or heard about actual specifications/features as yet. The first version doesn't have it.

None of the replacement chinese head unit's will get Apple Carplay in my opinion, the cost to whoever/whichever factories in deepest China that make the various units will be way too high for them to make high quality and consistently performing head unit's capable of running legitimate Apple software. In the future, maybe someone/some chinese brand will provide it ! who knows...

So if you really want Car Play, your currently limited to the Pioneer's that have it and the extra costs/procedures of modifying your airbox to fit a unit well.

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi,

In that case, get the Parrot Asteroid Smart and save the time/faff/cost of having to modify your airbox!

E46RHDParrotSmart8_zps44ecafa1.jpg

Cheers, Dennis!

Does this also come with the standard parrot functionality? I also have a Parrot MKi9100

And how does the GPS rate?

Edited by Callum

Hi,

The hands free mobile phone functionality of the unit is excellent ! multi point technology works very well as I have 2 smartphones. Performance as you'd expect is perfect!

The included iGo isn't for me as I prefer 'waze' which is a free app download from the Asteroid Marketplace. Many other's on this forum love iGo so it's down to your preference. You can install the dedicated and custom to the unit from the asteroid marketplace 'TomTom' which is of course a paid for app. Other GPS software that runs on Android could be 'side loaded' onto the head unit if you wish.

The link you give is to the current unit, not sure where the new version is out in 3 days information is? when it does come out, I'm getting it !

Cheers, Dennis!

Apple CarPlay looks quite good - i'm sure it will be great at as takes off.

For the interim though, I get most of the integration at an acceptable level with bluetooth and my car has nav already etc. What I do miss is the ability to use airplay to play music in the car, and for that purpose, I am thinking of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181471571914

Not anything like carplay, but since more flexible music control is something I miss, I can't knock this for the price.

Hi Singh,

Looks like an interesting idea !

Those TP Link mini ethernet wi-fi routers are excellent, I have one here for my wi-fi requirements in a certain area of the house, I paid £17.99 for it at PC World!

It's the custom software they've loaded onto the device which enables the functionality, and I'd estimate it'd be around £60 or so delivered inclusive of all VAT/Import duty etc.

Issue is that you'd still need to control the actual device by hand, to me and many other's that's not acceptable at all in a car whilst driving.

Cheers, Dennis!

Apple CarPlay looks quite good - i'm sure it will be great at as takes off.

For the interim though, I get most of the integration at an acceptable level with bluetooth and my car has nav already etc. What I do miss is the ability to use airplay to play music in the car, and for that purpose, I am thinking of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181471571914

Not anything like carplay, but since more flexible music control is something I miss, I can't knock this for the price.

Try this :)

Hi Singh,

Looks like an interesting idea !

Those TP Link mini ethernet wi-fi routers are excellent, I have one here for my wi-fi requirements in a certain area of the house, I paid £17.99 for it at PC World!

It's the custom software they've loaded onto the device which enables the functionality, and I'd estimate it'd be around £60 or so delivered inclusive of all VAT/Import duty etc.

Issue is that you'd still need to control the actual device by hand, to me and many other's that's not acceptable at all in a car whilst driving.

Cheers, Dennis!

Yeah, manual control is let down, but at least passengers, front or rear, can use the phone, or their device, to play music in the car. As I say, not a bad option for an interim add-on.

Also on the relocation panel, would I need 18mm or 16mm? The only button on there is an ASC button

Edit: It's 18mm, cycled over to car and measured (y)

Edited by Callum