JDS1808

What fuel do you use?

Yep, my missus has a smax and there was a warning letter from ford in the driver's info pack regarding morrisons diesel. It basically said that there's too much bio s**te in it. Always use regular esso diesel in the '46 with a double dose of millers.

Where have you found out to use regular esso out of interest?

& What is this millers you speak of! I've also seen on FB some stuff you can put in to 'clean' the turbo out - anyone heard of this?

Cheers.

i just use esso cos there's one close to my house, and i use their regular diesel cos the 'supreme' stuff is about 20p per litre more. millers is a fuel additive that you can buy from halfrauds and flea-bay, etc. it's got detergent in to clean your injectors and supposedly also has cetane in to make your car go faster [lol]. basically it's meant to turn regular diesel into premium diesel......well that's my understanding anyhow.

i think if you use some fuel additive & give your car a good booting every now and then, that should be sufficient to keep your turbo clean.....and make sure you replace your old bog-roll style breather filter with the newer vortex style one.

Edited by coop

i just use esso cos there's one close to my house, and i use their regular diesel cos the 'supreme' stuff is about 20p per litre more. millers is a fuel additive that you can buy from halfrauds and flea-bay, etc. it's got detergent in to clean your injectors and supposedly also has cetane in to make your car go faster [lol]. basically it's meant to turn regular diesel into premium diesel......well that's my understanding anyhow.

i think if you use some fuel additive & give your car a good booting every now and then, that should be sufficient to keep your turbo clean.....and make sure you replace your old bog-roll style breather filter with the newer vortex style one.

Thanks dude. 20p per litre more! Here diesel is 115.9 at the minute and V Power is 123.9 or less I think. Usually about 5-6p more a litre. I get 3% back on all fuel anyway thanks to a certain credit card so it becomes free basically!

I keep reading about that bog roll breather and to get it changed - apparently some 04's have them changed already. I don't even know where I'm looking rather embarrassingly... Would anyone care to look at my thread 'cleaned the engine bay' in car care chat and point it out to me? Haha ! Or I'll start a thread on it and keep this on topic.

Cheers!!

Thanks dude. 20p per litre more! Here diesel is 115.9 at the minute and V Power is 123.9 or less I think. Usually about 5-6p more a litre. I get 3% back on all fuel anyway thanks to a certain credit card so it becomes free basically!

I keep reading about that bog roll breather and to get it changed - apparently some 04's have them changed already. I don't even know where I'm looking rather embarrassingly... Would anyone care to look at my thread 'cleaned the engine bay' in car care chat and point it out to me? Haha ! Or I'll start a thread on it and keep this on topic.

Cheers!!

Yeah that esso supreme diesel is 1.40 per litre at my local garage, they're having a laugh. I'd want a complimentary tit w**k for that much lol. The breather filter is located under the air filter. Mine is an 04 too (build date Feb 04), but it had the old bog roll style filter fitted, and it was manky as hell.

Some interesting quotes:

"Tesco Momentum 99 super unleaded reportedly contains more ethanol than super unleaded fuels like BP Ultimate, which some people claim provides an octane boost but may not provide the same efficiency gains as the more expensive branded fuels. Like everything to do with fuel, people have different opinions, and the facts are hard to find."

"The standard petrol and diesel that’s sold on garage forecourts is mixture of two things:

• ‘Base’ fuel
  • An additive package

The base fuel is the same for all companies – in fact, it usually comes from the same tanks at the local fuel refinery/distribution centre. What varies is the additives package that goes into the fuel. .......Each fuel company has its own additives packages and these are different. So it is possible (but not common) for some drivers to feel that their car responds better to the additives used by one fuel manufacturer over those of another."

"What’s any different about that from FuelSave? Well, we do know that V-Power Diesel contains sophisticated synthetic GTL components that are claimed to aid combustion, and that V-Power is marketed primarily as a performance fuel, but Shell data sheets show FuelSave to actually have higher Cetane values than V-Power, which rather knocks the claimed benefits of the higher Cetane values stated for FuelSave. It all leaves us rather puzzled."

Edited by The_judge aka Suf

Supermarket stuff (usually Sainsburys) with Millers additive. Maybe the additive makes a difference, maybe it doesn't, but it works out cheaper than VPower and has similar stuff in.

I've been using supermarket fuel since God was a lad, but I could be about to change my way of thinking. For the last 12 years it's been dead easy because I pass a Sainsburys on the way to/from work.

Since I've had the 330d my top 3 consumption figures have been on branded fuel - Esso, BP and Shell in that order. The recent tank of Esso got me 1mpg (or over 2%) better than my previous best and over 5mpg better than a virtually identical (same roads, distance, traffic volume and weather conditions) run on Sainsburys c/w Millers.

It's a bit out of my way, but once the current tank of Sainsburys is gone, I'm going to fill-up with Shell standard diesel a couple of times and see what difference I get.

I mainly used Tesco own boggo standard diesel with 250ml of two stroke oil in, that was for my 320cd. On a motorway run with that combo Id get 650+ miles. My 330cd, two tanks of Tesco and two stroke oil has given 480 (some motorway miles) and 450 so I am going to try fancy diesel. Texaco fancy diesel is 115.9 at my local station which is fairly reasonable.

When I fitted my new fuel pump and put the car into bmw for a plug in one of the techs told me to stay clear of supermarket fuels as the fuel tends to have debris in it and contaminated which was the reason a lot of the fuel pumps fail.

I only have shell and esso close by so always used that.

It's a bit out of my way, but once the current tank of Sainsburys is gone, I'm going to fill-up with Shell standard diesel a couple of times and see what difference I get.

Minor change of plan. I've found an Esso that I didn't know existed which is only 1ppl more than Sainsburys. It's nearer than the Shell.

I'm sure my car is performing better since having the Esso in last week, even though it's had more Sainsburys in on top of the Esso (before I decided to swerve Sainsburys).

Minor change of plan. I've found an Esso that I didn't know existed which is only 1ppl more than Sainsburys. It's nearer than the Shell.

I'm sure my car is performing better since having the Esso in last week, even though it's had more Sainsburys in on top of the Esso (before I decided to swerve Sainsburys).

I put another tankful of Esso in yesterday.  I've noticed that the Esso diesel doesn't froth as much as Sainsburys. :)

I always thought the high octane fuels only really made a difference to turbocharged petrol engines. Drivers of Volvo & saab turbo engined cars swear by it but I never noticed any difference in performance to my 9-5 Aero. To be fair there was an improvement in economy but not enough to make the higher cost worth it in my opinion.