grantmacdee

E36 Runaround Project

To speed things up, I was going to get a car on finance, but I started a new job where I'm travelling 35-40 miles each way 5 days a week so I wanted to get a so called run a round work horse.
I have always loved E36's and I owned a coupe a couple years ago. So this was on my shopping list and with a last minute budget of £500 plus taxing the car I found my current car......
Didn't fancy an E36 diesel so for now I have a 318 touring, had 144K on the clock, not a spot of rust on the exterior or engine bay.
I do a bit of photography so should hopefully be able to keep this updated with photos!
So the car...
As it stands I have bought a full service kit, anti freeze, water pump, thermostat, wishbones, bushes, anti roll bar bushes. Oh and a set of aero blades! This all needs to be fitted but I have just not had the time yet but should be done over the next few weeks.
I have some HID's coming at christmas and should have a set of angel rings from my mate James who works over at M Style in Essex. I have a tonne of plans in my head so I have no idea wether I'm coming or going but maintenance will always be sorted as I need it for work regardless..
So lets see where it ends up!

Nice mate - same as what I did. Well - I had a 20 grand 3 series coupe on finance. As gorgeous as it was & I felt such a baller driving it, nothing quite so humbling as driving a 500 quid snotter, knowing its paid for & don't care where you leave it etc. This is why I love my 'loon.

Look forward to your progress

Got a few bits and pieces done today, didn't get as much planned but hey!
Spark plugs changed, well needed too...
15825243788_9a408091c3_c.jpg136A1163 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
Thermostat got changed along with some new coolant...
old..
15986869076_5f8537aaef_c.jpg136A1171 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
new..
16011957532_58d7aa2096_c.jpg136A1168 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
While draining the coolant system, it was clear it hadn't been done in ages and it stunk! It's coming out again for another load of new stuff when the water pump goes on in the next week or so.. But look at the colour
15826904477_c96e9fd4e0_c.jpg136A1166 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
15826904597_50c79db05d_c.jpg136A1187 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
New coolant going in by my mate Beau 8)
16012651925_f4283369f3_c.jpg136A1174 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
The best thing of today was having the pollen filter replaced, the heaters were piss poor and didn't blow much out and turns out it happens when the filter is blocked. Anyway after looking online and seeing a number of different versions of pollen filter changes, it was under the drivers footwell behind the centre console and voila heres what we pulled out!
15826624569_cc5b792a90_c.jpg136A1198 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
Much better, the heating smells nicer and is a lot stronger!
More stuff soon :)

Photo's look awesome! When is this getting slammed on cheap coilovers? haha

Once my wishbones and bushes are fitted etc :P

Yeah, nice pics, which SLR are you using?

Canon 5d MKiii these were taken on, ironically my camera and equipment cost a bomb load more then my car

Nothing major but picked up a 'm3' rear bumper for cheap off of a local bmw facebook page...
So popped to my mates house to get it swapped over..
15877004638_98c9c1790e_c.jpgGrants E36 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
Got the bumper out the car and I am sure theres a spider in there somewhere now!
15878684397_7c03ddaf6c_c.jpgGrants E36 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
This last owner just never cleaned this car by the looks of things, car is getting a full clean over soon just not had the time at the moment...
16064449845_09b2f013f0_c.jpgGrants E36 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
Hoovered this lot out making myself useful..
16063754172_80aa74a5a7_c.jpgGrants E36 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
15877164660_afe6b4b023_c.jpgGrants E36 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
After a bit of messing around got the bumper lined up and in place..
16038663106_5847b0e0aa_c.jpgGrants E36 by GMDOnline, on Flickr
It's got scratches etc but once I sort out a front bumper and side skirts some bits will be getting painted so all is good..

Nice one. Your photos look awesome! Makes me want to fork out on a decent camera and get into it lol

More pics of the A3? :ph34r:

Ha cheers it's cost me enough but saying that I'm selling my Canon 70D just over a year old taken around 15k photos with a Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 lens around 6 months old for around the £850 - 800 mark.

I done a shoot on the A1 :thumbsup: a while back when it first got wrapped can check the photos here..

http://www.gmdonline.uk/beauana/

Doing another shoot on it today as it has just had a new set of wheels fitted..

Rightttt..
So monday morning my window popped off the runners and popped some clips and the runner has shafted. Ive ordered a new one and that is being fitted at work tomorrow. Probably won't have any photos of that but meh!
At christmas I got my angel rings / hid's / high beam bulbs / led side lights / number plate bulbs... Picking up a set of shrouds this weekend so can hopefully get them put together soon...
I have ordered my cheap FK coilovers, see how long they last!
With christmas etc I have been so busy not had a chance to get anything done on the car but hopefully get some stuff sorted now and get some pictures rolling.
Anyway for now you can have a couple more photos of the A1 from the shoot...

Right not had much time to do much but got some work done today! Will let the pictures do the talking..
P.S car has not been cleaned in god knows how long!
Wheel off..
Shock out
Helpers and bump stops out, adjusters raised, taped up also!
Lower arm and rear bush out....
New lower arms and bushes..
Got a bit busy and forgot to take pictures for a bit but got one of the coilover in on the passenger side..
Dropped
Got the rear up, was getting dark quickly now...
Shock and spring in
To finish it off, a photo in Shell, where I scrapped coming out. Lovely.
Few more maintence bits to happen, need to get on with the oil change, water pump, need to do tracking and track rod ends, gonna get 2 new tyres for these wheels as they are going to be winter wheels, brake pads and discs.
Need to sort out a vented disc setup as I have a gash solid disc set up which I am not happy about!
Thats me until the next update :)

Thats awesome!

The A1 looks nuts, and your photography is bloody impressive. I'll be taking the helper springs out of my coilovers soon.. How come you taped up under the adjuster? What does that do..?

Thats awesome!

The A1 looks nuts, and your photography is bloody impressive. I'll be taking the helper springs out of my coilovers soon.. How come you taped up under the adjuster? What does that do..?

Cheers, I've gotta raise the front its way to low was a ball ache down my mrs road! 7 nasty speed humps ha.

As for the tape just keeps the shock clean for when you need to adjust, really should have done above the adjuster too but meh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats awesome!

Cheers, I've gotta raise the front its way to low was a ball ache down my mrs road! 7 nasty speed humps ha.

As for the tape just keeps the shock clean for when you need to adjust, really should have done above the adjuster too but meh!

Haha my mrs got some nasty humps around her area as well so I feel your pain.. I just tell her to walk to the end of the road LOL

That's a good shout, I think I'll have to nab that idea when I do mine :) thanks

Via Mobile Telecommunications Device

Right not much has happened. Crappy weather etc..

Got a new battery thats about it!

b7190a6967a7d8bf48583efcdc8597b4.jpg

d775e6ece5b5a9d7366221f04796d2ba.jpg

f71a8bccc978b40eb4bdf85ca9f24ba6.jpg

Covered in snow this morning at work!

3ba071dd4841ad42e98e41ee29a31198.jpg

Getting 2 new tyres and spacers tomorrow...

My shrouds have arrive so time to get my rings and hids in also and led side lights...

Pictures soon.