ATM

£1.05 per litre

Another thing being overlooked is the millions/billions in tax the government are losing due

to lower prices, where do they get that from, more cuts i pressume

The fuel duty element is fixed at 57.95p + VAT (69.54p) per litre. In theory, even if the oil company gave the fuel to the retailer, who in turn gave it away to us, we'd still have to pay 69.54p/litre to the Inland Revenue for the privilege. They are only losing-out on the VAT element of the pump price less 69.54p.

But, yes, the net loss to the Government is 0.2p/ltr for every 1p drop on the price at the pump. That's 10p every time I fill-up, but they're still guaranteed nearly £35 from me for each 50ltr fill. I wouldn't have thought they'll be too bothered yet. Worst case scenario is that they'll put the duty up a touch to recoup some of the loss - 0.175p/ltr increase would do it.

Or close a few swimming pools and libraries

Didn't realise it was a fixed amount for the duty so yes the gov is losing less than i first thought

That's not entirely true though. While that's what they get at the pump, they are still losing out on the tax from profits. The current oil price is dangerously close to the lift cost, meaning there is very little profit for the oil companies. Hence why they are pulling back on some operations. Of there are little or no profits, then there is little or no taxes. So while the pump duties will remain intact, the taxes from the oil companies have reduced significantly.

Then, there are the oil workers. Often on reasonably high salaries, paying a decent chunk of tax. They lose their jobs, and that's a lot of income tax gone, and benefits started. Lose lose really.

Edited by xs2man

I've already released that 35 quid to the atmosphere. So this time I thought I'd treat myself to the Tesco 99 stuff. God the car feels good now. It must be just in my mind surely, can a few RON really make that much of a difference?

I've already released that 35 quid to the atmosphere. So this time I thought I'd treat myself to the Tesco 99 stuff. God the car feels good now. It must be just in my mind surely, can a few RON really make that much of a difference?

It most certainly can. Mine threw an EML because it didn't like the £10 worth of 97 i put in as there was nothing else local at the time. Took a few cycles of 99 to clear it.

^^ shouldn't be doing that after 97 surely. Aren't the s54s supposed to run on 97? Sounds like a knock sensor issue if you have a knock sensor? Unless you got a bad batch of 97..

The manual states it can run on anything down to 95 Ron, but the higher the better. I know it shouldn't do it, but they are a little sensitive from what i hear. Its not the first time i have heard of it being an issue. It may also have been because it was the first fill up i had done after collecting the car. Typical of the garages, it was running on fumes so had to go to the nearest pump. Been fine ever since using 99.

Find it hard to believe you'd notice the difference, 5th gear tested 5 different fuels in a Golf

Asda unleaded got 235.8 hp the lowest

BP unleaded got 236.1 hp

BP Ultimate got 236.7 hp

Esso Supreme got 240.5 hp

Shell V power got 240.9 hp the highest

Video on youtube if you want to watch (5th gear fuel test)

Edited by dunk1

Find it hard to believe you'd notice the difference, 5th gear tested 5 different fuels in a Golf

Asda unleaded got 235.8 hp the lowest

BP unleaded got 236.1 hp

BP Ultimate got 236.7 hp

Esso Supreme got 240.5 hp

Shell V power got 240.9 hp the highest

Video on youtube if you want to watch (5th gear fuel test)

yeh i watched that one,wasnt that long ago,also watched one on fifth gear wheer they did it with air filters etc,i think it was fifth gear, ha ha just noticed it was fifth gear what you said,just got up,for some reason i red it top gear

Edited by rasa

I've not seen one testing air filters

Removing air filter boxes that get cold air from outside the engine bay and replacing with

a filter that draws in hot air from inside the bay don't give you any gains in my opinion, more

than likely lose you hp but look good.

Thing is a golf is exactly that, a golf. Its hardly a highly strung engine like an S54 or an LS1/3 (cant recall now what blair fitted).

I also have to run 98 in my track car as it had an emerald fitted and was mapped to within an inch of its life. If i run on anything less its noticeably down on power. Also a mate of mine who had a jap import scooby didn't realise it could only take premium and totalled his engine by running it on regular. Had to have it full stripped and rebuilt at a cost of thousands.

If you have to yes of course use a higher RON which helps prevent detonation which will

f**k up your engine.

If you don't there's very little gain as the test shows but if you feel you need the extra hp

spend the money :)

A quick bit of approximate maths, if you use say 50 litres of petrol a week the V Power

will cost £350 more a year than normal unleaded, that's 1/3 more than my insurance

costs on my vert !

The higher octane V power is supposed to give you a cleaner burn too so less carbon

build up and better emissions

Edited by dunk1

I know the rumours about cheap supermarket fuel being rubbish but I met a guy who drives a fuel tanker and he reckons all the tankers fill up from his depot with the same stuff and take it to supermarkets and forecourts.

I think if you dyno a car 3 times you'll get 3 different results even with the same fuel.

My car is mapped for Vpower so unfortunately I won't see much of a difference, but I've been noticing it coming down at the pumps. My mate remarked last night while we were filling his S2K up lastnight that 113.9 was expensive... really!?