sive s

Issue with noise from the front suspension. Coilovers.

Hey.

I have fitted HSD Coilovers like 2 months ago. The car was also fitted with standard Droplinks.

When i was going over some bad uneven roads, i could hear a knocking noise from the front right. But not sure if it was the left too.

Bought the car like 3 months ago. Checked the bushs, when i was fitting the coilovers. They were fine.

Also i have noticed that the steering wheel is a bit off. When it is straight. The car is moving slightly to the right. The alignment was done when i fitted the Coilovers. So was thinking that the alignment is gone again.

I was thinking it could be the droplinks or Bushs.

I was also thinking could it be the alloys catching on the coilovers. I am running et40 8.5j 19 inch alloys on the front. Would I need spacers.

I will be driving the car too Birmingham on saturaday. Is it safe to take it. :(

Thanks sive

You have basically just listed everything on the front end there...

If the noise wasn't there before coilovers i would start looking at what you have changed and make sure all nuts and bolts are still tight. I would also take a look at the collars on the coilover units and check they are tight.

Did you leave the helper springs fitted?

If alignment was done after fitting the coilovers, and nothing has changed since, then that shouldn't be an issue.

Remove the wheels to rule that out. Certainly i know E36's with HSD's requires spacers but don't think it was ever an issue with the E46 design.

As to how safe it is only you can answer that. My advice is that if you are even slightly unsure then you shouldn't drive it, especially given your previous experience.

You have basically just listed everything on the front end there...

If the noise wasn't there before coilovers i would start looking at what you have changed and make sure all nuts and bolts are still tight. I would also take a look at the collars on the coilover units and check they are tight.

Did you leave the helper springs fitted?

If alignment was done after fitting the coilovers, and nothing has changed since, then that shouldn't be an issue.

Remove the wheels to rule that out. Certainly i know E36's with HSD's requires spacers but don't think it was ever an issue with the E46 design.

As to how safe it is only you can answer that. My advice is that if you are even slightly unsure then you shouldn't drive it, especially given your previous experience.

Hi mate. Thanks for the reply.

I have checked the suspension for the bolts and nuts. Everything fitted properly.

But when I checked the droplinks. The driverside one is bent. So ordering two hyundai droplinks from euro carparts. Taking to my mates garage to get it fixed.

full lenghth droplinks? Arent the HSD's like budget coilovers where you need short droplinks?

Tried the full length ones and found out that it is bent. So picking up some droplinks tomrrow morning.

Normal drop links are fine with HSD's but I have broke two already from potholes so you might want to check that.

I agree. It broke after going over a pothole. So getting the hyundai ones on the car.

I need spacers with my 17s (et46), but they're only out to et41 with spacers, so et40 is fine.

I had short droplinks and they were too short. Had to go back to standard.

No helpers on HSDs.

I'd go with it being droplinks personally. Mine squeak for a mile or two after I jack the car up, but settle down again quickly. Easy to test them though - just turn the wheel and grab/wobble the link. Any movement = dead link.

Edited by TriggerFish

I need spacers with my 17s (et46), but they're only out to et41 with spacers, so et40 is fine.

I had short droplinks and they were too short. Had to go back to standard.

No helpers on HSDs.

I'd go with it being droplinks personally. Mine squeak for a mile or two after I jack the car up, but settle down again quickly. Easy to test them though - just turn the wheel and grab/wobble the link. Any movement = dead link.

So the short ones won't even fit. Also if one is broken should I get both fixed or one. Pisstake. Might end up getting adjustable ones.

Didn't for me. The ARB sat/twisted too high. Mine's not an M3 mind you, so maybe different?

I'd get new OE ones though. I think Meyle are £35 on eBay with a 4 year warranty. I had two sets of Delphi ones before, but they only lasted about 3 months each - after that they'd blow a ball joint.

Didn't for me. The ARB sat/twisted too high. Mine's not an M3 mind you, so maybe different?

I'd get new OE ones though. I think Meyle are £35 on eBay with a 4 year warranty. I had two sets of Delphi ones before, but they only lasted about 3 months each - after that they'd blow a ball joint.

Will try the bosch ones from euros or get the short drop link ones.