Kos

Poor Dealer Experience - A lesson to all

Evening All

Ive had a rather unfortunate experience with my local BMW dealer Berry Chiswick which i thought i'd share with you all
My e46 went in for its airbag recall, a one hour job and i waited until it was done. Got there just before my 12pm appointment, signed the paperwork and got my car back with invoice at 1.17pm
Now, i will say that if the car had gone for a service i would have made it clear to them to NOT wash the car however as this was a recall job that would take no longer than 1 hour, so i did not think they would wash it. The paperwork did say Service Wash (Standard BMW practice to print this on any paperwork that gets issued to any car booked in for work) but nevertheless, for a a one hour recall job, you do not expect it to be washed.
i got the car back it is f**ked and it needs correction, there's no 2 ways about it. TFR stains on some panels, swirls and it is vile.
I've had the car 2 years, it is 12 years old but i did full correction on it and bar some stone chips and a couple RDS's it was flawless. its always been safely washed, and it had a light polish and wax in november. It is all original paint on every panel (consisted reading with a paint depth reader)
i had it out with the service manager who was very dismissive. Accused me of being a new customer with an agenda. Little does he know that I've been using the same dealer for parts for the past 15 years and probably spent more than £20,000 in parts for my other cars.
at one stage they offered to take it in and valet it (i declined initially but i decided to accept it as a way of moving forward to a resolution) then that was retracted because i asked for a courtesy car. He said he didn't want to give me one and he suggested i may not even have a divers licence !!! He point blank refused to attempt to find a way forward. absolute tossers
Talk about good customer service !
after i said i'm not moving and just sat in his office he threatened to call the police (not good, i don't need police to get involved due work requiring a CRC and being a holder of a shot gun certificate, any accusations from them about me being threatening means licence gets withdrawn)
so, i left on the provision that the dealer MD call me
he did, and he was as dismissive as his service manager.
i have seen other threads on other forums where people have has similar issues but it tends to be when they have clearly told the dealer to not wash a car but they have.
my issue is that they have not given the car back to me in the same condition i gave it to them but more so the shock way i was spoken to and treated as if i was a nobody
they have basically in 5 minutes put almost as much damage on the paint as there was before i purchased it
The car has only recently had its winter protection detail so the paint was as good as it was in this 50/50 photo which was taken when i did the full correction
Lesson is, make sure you tell them DO NOT WASH MY CAR and write it down
DSC09749_zps6kgxnhd1.jpg
how i got it back
_DSC8918_zpsvin2ord8.jpg
_DSC8910_zpszgbubtkv.jpg
_DSC8908_zpsmschm7s9.jpg
_DSC8907_zpsbbo5v1xv.jpg
_DSC8906_zpsw0mlc0ms.jpg
_DSC8904_zpsz81mpwhf.jpg
_DSC8903_zpsge4fbqwl.jpg
_DSC8902_zpsif0r1kzj.jpg
_DSC8898_zpsofxetiaw.jpg
_DSC8896_zpsrhqfoy7f.jpg
_DSC8891_zps4rx5dqdo.jpg
_DSC8889_zpsrw6doexp.jpg
Edited by Kos

Side by side or over and under? Either way I'd have emptied both barrels on them. (I may delete this as I may apply for an FAC in the future!)

I've seen a few people have had theirs washed as part of the recall. I dont know why BMW bother tbh. A. Because it will cost them money in labour and B. Because they evidently know nothing about washing cars!

Edited by Rob-

Side by side or over and under? Either way I'd have emptied both barrels on them. (I may delete this as I may apply for an FAC in the future!)

I've seen a few people have had theirs washed as part of the recall. I dont know why BMW bother tbh. A. Because it will cost them money in labour and B. Because they evidently know nothing about washing cars!

both lol and a single barrel 3 shot Berretta

sounds like their wash technique, size to side over the top and under the sill

the reason they bother, standard BMW practice, keeps customers happy apparently

Me GF had the same when her black Golf GTI went in for a service with VW. Paint looked as if it had been washed with a brillo pad.

She complained, and so did every other person who collected their car that day!

Took it back for a machine polish, and the manager was very apologetic. The car was even collected from the house and delivered back.

Edited by My Car Still Hates Me!

A while ago I had a service done on my e46 at Coopers in Purley Way, when I got it back it looked like a blind man had washed it, the wheels were half done and the body work was patchy. You'd think a brand like BMW would know the importance of car cleaning standards but clearly they couldn't give a f**k about our pride and joys!

Jeez, that is grim ! Admittedly my way of avoiding them washing my car is that I give it a good wash before it goes in and when they ask if I want it washed and just say 'does it look like it needs washing' and decline the offer.

They genuinely do not give a sh*t about washing techniques with customers cars.

I've used Berry Chiswick in the past and they've always been spot on, prefer the service at Cooper Thames Ditton though. Cooper Cobham were horrendous the other week, kept waiting for about half an hour for a parts person to see me, considering Thames Ditton had called them to let them know I'm popping over!

Many people do ask them not wash there motors but it still gets done anyway, they can poke the

recall it aint worth the risk.

Poke the recall? I don't know about that... Risking the car being washed, or risking you having shards of metal implanted into your face and neck when the airbag goes off...

I think I'd rather take the recall and put a note in the car for them not to wash it.

I always tell them not to wash it. Don't trust anyone else to wash it, least of all an apprentice with an old sponge.

My dad forgot one time with his M3 and when they brought it round it was covered in water marks etc. He refused to accept it back until they washed and dried it properly.

Ask them not to do it and make sure they write it on the job list. Put a sheet of A4 on the dash saying "Please Do Not Wash This Car" and take a picture of it as you lock it

Then, if they let Stevie Wonder clean it you have plenty to go back with

My sign has a cheeky PS "Feel free to do the inside, if you have to!"

I'd be contacting BMWGB

No way would i stand for that

I've been treated appallingly badly once by a BMW dealership which almost went to court

Edited by dunk1

I'd be contacting BMWGB

No way would i stand for that

I've been treated appallingly badly once by a BMW dealership which almost went to court

Email sent to GB and the dealer ship MD

Bloody awful service name and shame them on Facebook and get it shared mate,

it is on FB, right now, its' a lesson for all

Ask them not to do it and make sure they write it on the job list. Put a sheet of A4 on the dash saying "Please Do Not Wash This Car" and take a picture of it as you lock it

Then, if they let Stevie Wonder clean it you have plenty to go back with

My sign has a cheeky PS "Feel free to do the inside, if you have to!"

This is the lesson DO NOT WASH CAR

I always tell them not to wash it. Don't trust anyone else to wash it, least of all an apprentice with an old sponge.

My dad forgot one time with his M3 and when they brought it round it was covered in water marks etc. He refused to accept it back until they washed and dried it properly.

good on him

Many people do ask them not wash there motors but it still gets done anyway, they can poke the

recall it aint worth the risk.

Poke the recall? I don't know about that... Risking the car being washed, or risking you having shards of metal implanted into your face and neck when the airbag goes off...

I think I'd rather take the recall and put a note in the car for them not to wash it.

Get the recall done, but as above put a not in the car

I've used Berry Chiswick in the past and they've always been spot on, prefer the service at Cooper Thames Ditton though. Cooper Cobham were horrendous the other week, kept waiting for about half an hour for a parts person to see me, considering Thames Ditton had called them to let them know I'm popping over!

Ive been using them since they were park west. Never serve but all other departments without complaint

Unbelievable how the gave you the car back. I'm taken mine in soon ..will be a BIG

notice on the dash which will say DO NOT WASH..!! Thanks for the heads up..! :huh:

LoL Good, my post is working ;)

Jeez, that is grim ! Admittedly my way of avoiding them washing my car is that I give it a good wash before it goes in and when they ask if I want it washed and just say 'does it look like it needs washing' and decline the offer.

They genuinely do not give a sh*t about washing techniques with customers cars.

nope, and lacking in customer care and attitude

A while ago I had a service done on my e46 at Coopers in Purley Way, when I got it back it looked like a blind man had washed it, the wheels were half done and the body work was patchy. You'd think a brand like BMW would know the importance of car cleaning standards but clearly they couldn't give a f**k about our pride and joys!

nope, they don't. hence a lot of people book and pay for a pro detailer to do new car details and inspect the cars for them on collection

Take it up with BMWGB.

On It

That is terrible customer service. And man, what did they wash your car with?! Very poor technique in deed. Will have to tell my dealer not to wash mine when it goes in for airbag recall.

My post is doing its job :)

Me GF had the same when her black Golf GTI went in for a service with VW. Paint looked as if it had been washed with a brillo pad.

She complained, and so did every other person who collected their car that day!

Took it back for a machine polish, and the manager was very apologetic. The car was even collected from the house and delivered back.

good to hear you had a result

Thank you all for taking the time to reply

Will keep you all updated

It would have bothered me 5 years ago but nowadays i cba to even wash it so give a fu*k about a few swirls got more important things to be bothered about lol. Gone are the days of 2 buckets oooooeeerrrr

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by the_driller

Kos, I replied to your thread on bmwowner but it seems to have gathered more interest here, so I'll copy & paste my post here for info:

Ex dealership service valeter here!
I can sympathise with this mate, the gesture of good will from the dealer is only as good as the valeters. With your car being in as good nick as it is, there should've been some judgement call by service to ask the question before they proceeded. Unfortunately, the way the industry and the quality of staff doing these low paid jobs is nowadays, they simply don't give a f**k. They're given 5h1t kit to work with as you probably know, there would be no other outcome after being through their hands.
I know it is common place to wash and vac anything recalled though, it's more to cover their arse if you find any grubby prints on it, which in fairness, is all that 99% of their customers would complain about.
There's a good sheet to print off on detailing world saying 'do not wash this car' to leave on the dash when it's at garages, I'm sure you know but a heads up to others if not:
Edit: It's probably worth noting too, I would be surprised if BMWGB will have much to say on it, other than offering a solution. I spent a few years valeting in dealerships in my teens, and I know nowadays it's farmed out to subcontractors, young lads, sometimes not of UK origin & nothing really to do with the manufacturer of the delaership they work at. I would say the best approach would be to get it detailed (IE do it yourself) and pass on the cost to BMWGB to cover your time, products and a bit extra for the inconvenience. At least then you know it's dont to standard. You know they'll offer you a courtesy valet, and it'll be just as poor quality wise.
Edited by das_flo

Kos, I replied to your thread on bmwowner but it seems to have gathered more interest here, so I'll copy & paste my post here for info:

Ex dealership service valeter here!
I can sympathise with this mate, the gesture of good will from the dealer is only as good as the valeters. With your car being in as good nick as it is, there should've been some judgement call by service to ask the question before they proceeded. Unfortunately, the way the industry and the quality of staff doing these low paid jobs is nowadays, they simply don't give a f**k. They're given 5h1t kit to work with as you probably know, there would be no other outcome after being through their hands.
I know it is common place to wash and vac anything recalled though, it's more to cover their arse if you find any grubby prints on it, which in fairness, is all that 99% of their customers would complain about.
There's a good sheet to print off on detailing world saying 'do not wash this car' to leave on the dash when it's at garages, I'm sure you know but a heads up to others if not:
Edit: It's probably worth noting too, I would be surprised if BMWGB will have much to say on it, other than offering a solution. I spent a few years valeting in dealerships in my teens, and I know nowadays it's farmed out to subcontractors, young lads, sometimes not of UK origin & nothing really to do with the manufacturer of the delaership they work at. I would say the best approach would be to get it detailed (IE do it yourself) and pass on the cost to BMWGB to cover your time, products and a bit extra for the inconvenience. At least then you know it's dont to standard. You know they'll offer you a courtesy valet, and it'll be just as poor quality wise.

cheers for the reply

i can't disagree with anything you have said

as i may have said earlier, it is lesson for all.

What annoys me more is the attitude of the service manager. He pretty much went out of his way to f**k me off