Bamse

Decided to clean EGR today :(

All went well until I got to the bottom left hand bolt. Whoever had it off last time had rounded it off. Also, to add insult to injury, it looks as though it is not tight . The washer on that bolt I can spin with my fingernail. So im assuming someone has cross-threaded it and then rounded it off when it seized in the thread.

Booked it in now to have the swirl flaps blanked so my mechanic has said he can sort it out then. I assume the metal threaded insert the bolt treads into can be popped out and replaced and then it's just a case of new bolts.

As he said, will be a lot easier when the manifold is off.

For now, the car is running just fine so im assuming its ok to drive until I can get it in the garage.

Today didn't go as I planned at all :mad:

Bad news dude, I know how you feel: http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/55221-removing-snapped-bolts/

I've now got two snapped bolts in mine. Annoyingly, my manifold had been off atleast three times before I did this, I've not needed to have the manifold off since. It sounds like taking it off ain't too bad, but I just know I'm bound to drop something into one of the pots knowing what I'm like ..!

It is annoying, but on the plus side like you say it should be easy to drill it out once the manifold is off. I tried drilling it out in situ, even with a reverse thread bit and power drill, but got nowhere. Anyway, the problem has been there for several months now and I just used a lot of silicon sealant to bung everything off. The car doesn't appear to be suffering and runs pretty well, so worse case there is a solution.

Very annoying! Hope you get it sorted bud. Last time I had my manifold off on mine I lost 2 of the orange rubber grommet/seals for the intake manifold and a 10mm socket bit down the back of the engine. Probably ridiculous price from BMW to replace!

Very annoying! Hope you get it sorted bud. Last time I had my manifold off on mine I lost 2 of the orange rubber grommet/seals for the intake manifold and a 10mm socket bit down the back of the engine. Probably ridiculous price from BMW to replace!

See, this why I'm scared of doing this job!!!!!!!!!!

owch I know about cross threading bots lol I have done it a few times in the past have had to retap them or even helicoid them I do feel sorry for anyone have them crossed threaded ..

Manifolds are simple to remove without dropping anything off if you don't trust yourself make your way to Cambridge and I'll do it all for you ;)

I'd charge a lot less than a garage would do. And i have a warm unit and KFC close by ;)

....Phone.....

Edited by chunky899

I made the mistake of not removing or ziptieing the cables out of the way that mount on the pollen filter housing which is why I struggled to lift the manifold straight up and knocked the rubber grommets from their seats on the manifold. The 10mm socket was an accident! They are scattered over a road somewhere now Im sure...

Edited by dooge

I tool have suffered at the hands of this!

I have a bounty out on the person or person(s) who's are responsible for serially rounding off every bolt, nut, and tool known to man kind! this person must be apprehended and prevented from further harming the general public at large by exercising his brand of car mechanics