pdistefano

Trolley Jack collapsed leading to a raised foot well!

I was up to my usual modifications on the car. This time I was adding spacers onto the wheels to stop them rubbing the coilovers. Whilst I had the back left jacked up I went to place a axle stand underneath. Luckily I managed to jump out the way in time as the trolley jack just hissed and completely collpased in an instant!

Down side is I had not positioned my axle stand at the time and as a result the whole car was being supported by an axle stand that was on the left side of my passsenger foot well. It now looks like I have hidden half a football under my carpet!

How can i push this back down without causing even more damage?

Take a photo, as if it's damaged anything that's structural it'll need repairing if it can be as it'll fail it's next MOT.

There's also the possibility that it's altered the alignment of the car

20141221_103942_zps58378110.jpg

I would get some thick wood, place it on the carpet inside, then get a large lump hammer or sledge hammer and gently as possible bash it back down, if it is really bad cut out the floor panel and fit a new one, hit the wood with as little power as you can get away with to actually get movement, rather than hitting it too hard and pushing it too far back down.

Edited by Phantom Mark

A brick hit my floor and put a nice dent in it that lifted the carpet right up. I pulled the carpet up and whacked the bump down with a lump hammer and a block of wood. Just check for any split seam sealer or paintwork and rectify if required to stop rust developing.

I think my ne car has had something similar happen to it.

I've noticed the mat in the passenger footwell doesn't sit flat and had a look underneath the car this afternoon and it looks like it's taken a whack!

Taking it round to my local garage at 5.30 to get it on the ramp and let them have a look :(

By all means lift the carpet to have a look at the seam sealer, and of course eyeball the damage, but I would recommend you put the carpet back down into place, and the wood on top before hitting it, it will absorb some of the shock and enable the impact to spread more evenly with less chance of the wood bouncing as you hit it......just my 2c ;)

Sounds like mine car is the same, looked at the underneath from a pit tonight and it looks like it has slipped off a jack at some point.

My MOT tester said its nothing structural and echoed the advice here, lift the carpet and smack it flat with a lump hammer and piece of wood.

Happy days :)