jamesfoley

2003 330Ci M Sport

Anyone know what the cause of a smelly air conditioning could be?

My pollen filter is relatively new, so I'm pretty sure its not that, and I've given it a quick sniff just incase but seems okay. I've also run one of those air conditioning cleaners, but it came back after about a week.

It only seems to happen on warm days when you actually need to use the AC which is annoying. Figured I'd ask about to see if there is something obvious I should be checking.

Anyone know what the cause of a smelly air conditioning could be?

My pollen filter is relatively new, so I'm pretty sure its not that, and I've given it a quick sniff just incase but seems okay. I've also run one of those air conditioning cleaners, but it came back after about a week.

It only seems to happen on warm days when you actually need to use the AC which is annoying. Figured I'd ask about to see if there is something obvious I should be checking.

I've had smelly A/C before. Used an A/C cleaner and mines fine now.

If it were me I'd put another cleaner through.

Mine was horrible when I first got the car. It had hardly been driven let alone had air con used. I just blasted the heat on full whack for half an hour and its so much better now.

Something to do with getting rid of the bacteria

Another quick question, recently I've been feeling like the cars body is very disconnected from the wheels, lots of body roll and light steering. Tyres seem okay, and I'm not losing grip from what I can tell, but the car just feels unpredictable around corners and bumpy roads.

I've had my tracking done and at the same time asked the guy to check the bushes which he said are all okay. I was thinking about replacing the rubber steering coupler to see if that tighten up the steering a little.

Anyone know of any other common issue to look into?

Oh also, can anyone recommend some aftermarket LED tail lights for a pre-facelift coupe? I'd like to replace my standard bulb tails.

Finally got around to replacing my normal tail lights with Eagle Eye LED tail lights. My normal tails didn't fit right and I've been wanting to get the LED lights for a while.

Admittedly they probably don't fit / look as good as the OEM LED lights, but for what I paid I'm really happy with them. There is also a really faint flicker to them when the engine is off which is strange, only noticeable if you point it out to someone, but I'll see how it goes over the next week or so.

Here is a pretty bad before an after shot, but you get the idea. I'll grab some better photos at the weekend when I give it a clean.

NPx46Iu.png

Figured it was worth a quick update to say that the LED flicker was solved using SSS Progman and its retrofit LED option. You first need to go through the retrofit steps for LED tails, then once that's coded (seems to take a while) you need to use the 'Encode' option in the control modules section which will actually apply the option to the LCM (also takes a while).

Also might be worth mentioning http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/ here as they were so helpful with the whole order process, and that I have a working copy of SSS Progman and PA Soft BMW Scanner if anyone near me is after some coding.

Edited by jamesfoley

Finally a decent weekend for a clean and to meet up with a couple of friends. Also spent some more time getting my DEPO projectors to fit better, turns out the indicators I had were from a bad batch, so picked up a new pair and all is dandy.

rPTrUHn.jpg

4d8ufeX.jpg

cy2tvsL.jpg

aqhDhap.jpg

zu8r4on.jpg

WtjcXak.jpg

Xs6HiLn.jpg

Edited by jamesfoley

I wimped out on buying an android based headunit and picked up a Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB instead, mainly because I wanted DAB, but it is also a lot better looking than my old Sony unit, and doesn't have USB and AUX ports sticking out the front (USB and AUX routed through to the glove box). I actually use the sunglasses cubby hole and I didn't really want to fart about with a relocation panel. Re-earthed my dash cam and routed everything through the A pillar while I had it all apart for the DAB antenna too, so everything is nice and tidy now.

nsuNlr7.jpg

LED bulbs for the angel eyes are in the post and I want to swap out the chrome headlight inserts with some black ones from my old headlights. 

Next on the list is the cooling system, currently have a box full of parts in the living from from C3bmw, so that'll be fun.

Would like to swap out the wheels at some point just to change things up a bit, but something is telling me I should stop spending money on the car for a bit :D 

So at some point I've managed to scuff up the bottom corners of my bumper which is pretty annoying. You can't actually see it unless you look under the car to be honest, but its just that I know its there...

Anyway, could I get away with installing CSL splitters on there to prevent any more damage and potentially cracking the bumper? I like the look of them and I'd much rather replace a busted one of those than fix my bumper, plus they'd hide the scuff marks there already.

Well, I wanted to keep them black on the silver bumper, and if they're black plastic you shouldn't be able to see any damage to them, right?

Only thing is after a bit of reading it seems like I'd need to attach them with screws, and drilling holes into my bumper isn't something I wanted to do. I guess thats the only way to make sure you don't randomly lose one...

1 minute ago, jamesfoley said:

Well, I wanted to keep them black on the silver bumper, and if they're black plastic you shouldn't be able to see any damage to them, right?

Only thing is after a bit of reading it seems like I'd need to attach them with screws, and drilling holes into my bumper isn't something I wanted to do. I guess thats the only way to make sure you don't randomly lose one...

Mine are attached with double sided tape and 2 screws on each splitter. They screw in underneath so you would never see the holes if you removed them.

Awesome, cheers guys.

Once my carbon cube trim arrives and I get round to fitting it I'll pick up a pair of the clubsport splitters. Just had a full service on both the 330ci and WRX, and after buying the carbon trim its left my monthly car funds a little low :(

Finally bit the bullet and bought a carbon cube trim set, the original stuff is so much nicer than a wrapped / painted set.

hNhhqHe.jpg

Annoyingly when removing the passenger side door card I caught what simply looks like a cable clip that holds the cable for the wing mirror and part of it snapped off. It still holds the wing mirror wire up, and the part that came off didn't seem to be holding anything anyway, just annoying that it was going so well and then the clip broke :(

Just the rear arm rests to do now at some point, but worth the money in my opinion :)

If its a little clip it might just be easiest going to BMW mate! I had the same thing with a little spring for my roof, all I could find online were suppliers from the US, it ended up being a couple of quid from the local dealership with them getting it in that same day.

Rear arm rests sorted, huge pain in the arse but may have just been me being frustrated in the heat...

Clubsport splitters are also on the way, will post pics when they're on.

For some reason I get rear tyre squeal when pulling away from junctions, usually DSC would cut in and prevent rear slip but it seems to happen quite often now. Tread isn't low so I can only assume the tyres on here are sucky or DSC isn't happy, but no lights on the dash so I guess it must be tyres. Another thing I'll have to look in to...

Gotta love a clean interior

TsEZf2l.jpg

12 hours ago, jamesfoley said:

Rear arm rests sorted, huge pain in the arse but may have just been me being frustrated in the heat...

Clubsport splitters are also on the way, will post pics when they're on.

For some reason I get rear tyre squeal when pulling away from junctions, usually DSC would cut in and prevent rear slip but it seems to happen quite often now. Tread isn't low so I can only assume the tyres on here are sucky or DSC isn't happy, but no lights on the dash so I guess it must be tyres. Another thing I'll have to look in to...

Gotta love a clean interior

TsEZf2l.jpg

I had a set of ching chongs on mine whilst my split rims were being refurbed. They were doing all sorts of things to the traction control so I'd bet cheap tyres (if thats what you've got on it now) are the issue.

They're Marshal Matracs, but I've used them on my WRX and had no issues, I've just read that the 330 is picky with its rubber. I didn't have much choice at the time as it was either those or no car. When my bank account allows me to I'll change all 4 corners :)