LiamGTR

Leaving an SSG in N, D or R (?)

Which is best, and why?

I got an F (!) N error on the dash today and my brother says it's because I leave the car in either 1 or R (depending on the direction of the hill I'm facing).

Always leave mine in N and never had an issue but 1 works just as well. Very occasionally if i accidentally move the gear stick to 2 as i put it in gear the box has a 'moment' but that's happened maybe twice in 4 years

Shouldn't matter which to be honest, it's the same as a manual

I would guess they make the case for leaving it in 1 or R so that you have to have your foot on the brake pedal to move it to N to start it up and then before you move off?

My bro seems to think the beeping when in N is what's supposed to tell you you've left it in N and that's the done thing.

The beeping is to remind you it needs to be in R or 1 to stop the possibility of the car rolling as said above.

Edited by Zimmer

Your supposed to leave any manual car in gear when you leave it parked up in case of handbrake failure, leaving it in 1st or reverse makes no difference in reality. The error message from the POs car has nothing to do with it.

Your supposed to leave any manual car in gear when you leave it parked up in case of handbrake failure, leaving it in 1st or reverse makes no difference in reality. The error message from the POs car has nothing to do with it.

No you're right - that error has nothing to do with it - I know.. my car has just been put back on the road after similar errors! :mad:

I am aware, the error suggests an internal box fault and would need the codes read

I was simply replying with information where I can :)