arry

Goodbye E46 - you will be missed..... but hellooooooo.......

After a little over 4 years and circa 70,000 miles, I've just waved goodbye to my E46 as it departed off to be with its new owner - my ol' man :lol:

It's been a fabulous car - it really has. Just shy of 200,000 miles in total, it's been a loyal servant thumping me up and down the A12 every day in comfort and with epic reliability. I don't think I've ever spent less maintaining a car, it just ran and ran and ran.

So goodbye Mr E46:

Picture002-6.jpg

You will be missed :afro:

So what have I replaced it with? Let me see, what were my original requirements:

1) Reliable

2) Economical

3) Practical

4) Under £8k

5) A good drive

So I may have applied a little weighted scoring to the parameters and ended up with something which ticked approximately the sum total of the square root of NONE of those in categories 1) through to 4), but did tick the 5) box nicely :lol:

There could be only one option

IMG_20150503_155548_zpsufd8wop5.jpg

Yes, Man maths said this was a worthy financial 'investment' and therefore not a potential lead balloon. Oh well, decisions made with the heart are just the best way to financially cripple your liquidity - just ask my wife.

Onwards and upwards. I'll pop in from time to time to see what's old in the world of BMW.

Thanks for everything you guuuuuuuuyyyys :punk:

I used to hate Porsche, as a child, but I'm now starting to really like them (never been in one mind!). Very nice though, bet it makes the 330d feel slow!

If you're ever wondering why the rear wiper looks such an afterthought - it's heritage! http://www.petrolicious.com/the-unlikely-story-of-how-porsche-dna-probably-ended-up-on-your-car

A stretched Beatle, nice :)

What's the specs on it mate?

Let's hope the E46 doesn't fall apart on your old man!

It has earned the nickname Binky The Beetle in its few weeks in my ownership. I'm not calling it a Stretched Beatle though - that's Paul McCartney after a facelift

The E46 will be fine. If it's not fine he's had it off me for a touch over scrap value and the spare parts I've amassed alone pretty much gives him half of his money back.

The specs are it's a late 2001 plate 996 Carrera 2 with the 3.4 engine so circa 300bhp. It's not so much fast, although it is, especially from 2nd to 3rd, but as a package it's fantastic. The brakes are phenomenal, and the front end response and steering feel is just gorgeous. The sound is epic. I'd love a beefier exhaust but they're £1500 upwards so that'll have to wait LOL

I bought it from a guy that had owned it near 7 years. The service history comes in box files it's that extensive. It was kept in a garage alongside his Caterham. I can only say it was so clean in there I'd have thought it was hermetically sealed. The car is immaculate from a bodywork perspective, almost immaculate from an interior perspective and you could eat your dinner off the engine bay (what you can see of it under the boot!). It's been loved. And will continue to be so.

Oh and it's a manual..... NATCH :D

Edited by arry

I'm not calling it a Stretched Beatle though - that's Paul McCartney after a facelift

FPMSL! You could end-up with a bill for my next laptop. I just spat a mouthful of a rather nice Merlot over this one! :lol:

FPMSL! You could end-up with a bill for my next laptop. I just spat a mouthful of a rather nice Merlot over this one! :lol:

Soz dude - try something fuller bodied next time; and I don't mean his ex wife as she was a bit light on body in certain areas

Pic of the front that a mate took last week when I turned up as his place

facebook-20150426-222506_zpsljbjt3hg.png

Oh and if you do go shopping, make sure you don't buy much :lol:

IMG_20150503_155520_zpsvqremll9.jpg

Nice motor arry,

Mate of mine has had a 2000 3.4 C4 convertible for about a year now, hasn't stopped smiling since he got it, he's now planning 911's for the rest of his natural.

Whilst it has been quite reliable it does cost him a few bob every now and again, if you have / are signing up on 911UK forum you're sure to bump into him. (alex yates)

There are a few scary stories / myths about the 996, IMS and bore scoring being the main ones but don't be paranoid just enjoy it!!

Thanks guys :)

I'm hoping the scare stories are similar to E46 gearboxes dropping like flies. And of course that I get lucky again!!

My mate has some stats on the IMS with data collected on the 911UK forum, he's shown me a few times the thread he posted and i'm sure he'd tell you that you bought the right car :thumbsup:

Last of the 3.4's are probably the most reliable 996's you can get and don't really suffer from IMS failure or bore score, the riskier ones being the 3.6 and 3.8 (997) engines.

A stretched Beatle, nice :)

What's the specs on it mate?

Let's hope the E46 doesn't fall apart on your old man!

It has earned the nickname Binky The Beetle in its few weeks in my ownership. I'm not calling it a Stretched Beatle though - that's Paul McCartney after a facelift

The E46 will be fine. If it's not fine he's had it off me for a touch over scrap value and the spare parts I've amassed alone pretty much gives him half of his money back.

The specs are it's a late 2001 plate 996 Carrera 2 with the 3.4 engine so circa 300bhp. It's not so much fast, although it is, especially from 2nd to 3rd, but as a package it's fantastic. The brakes are phenomenal, and the front end response and steering feel is just gorgeous. The sound is epic. I'd love a beefier exhaust but they're £1500 upwards so that'll have to wait LOL

I bought it from a guy that had owned it near 7 years. The service history comes in box files it's that extensive. It was kept in a garage alongside his Caterham. I can only say it was so clean in there I'd have thought it was hermetically sealed. The car is immaculate from a bodywork perspective, almost immaculate from an interior perspective and you could eat your dinner off the engine bay (what you can see of it under the boot!). It's been loved. And will continue to be so.

Oh and it's a manual..... NATCH :D

thats the only way to but a car of that type,an enthusiast,i love seeing loads of bills etc,

Always lusted after a 930 myself after having drove a customers Turbo once when I was at the very young and impressionable age of just 18 years, the experience has stuck with me ever since. And I was big into the Charlie Sheen film 'No Man's Land' too :D

Nice investment :thumbsup:

Mike.

So I've had it a month, and the last lot of wax was starting to wear off. So what did that mean? It meant I had to clean my own car for the first time in over 5 years :lol:

It's so clean. So so clean. I've never had a car with so few blemishes. There's not a single dent in the whole thing.

The paint came up mirror like. Sorry for the crap bin reflections but you get the idea

IMG_20150525_145934_zps6tvnyn0x.jpg

IMG_20150525_160305_zpse3wfhipz.jpg

I heart it so much.....

You cant beat a nice Porsche, this era are amongst my favorite. A bit like the E46 prefer that to the e90 etc ...

Edited by Chrissyp83

I'd much rather have an earlier oder but I missed the boat so to speak. The prices have gone mental. Luckily the 996 is a really good car in its own right which softens the blow

Nice motor!!!

This reminds me of a story 20 years ago about a chap who went out to replace his Volkswagon Polo estate thingy...he came home with a Jensen Intercepter & became the club chairman lol