method69uk

Alternator question

Hey guys

Had the red battery symbol come up on the dash the other day. My next door neighbour also runs a garage so I asked him to take a look at my alternator with a multimeter which was showing it's kaput and only outputting 11.5v or something.

I bought the car in August last year and in the receipts it shows the previous owner had it replaced in June 2013, as well as having the wiring to it sorted out.

It's not normal for them to go in less than 2 years is it?

Is there anything you know of that could be causing the car to be killing alternators?

Cheers

Steve

Mine had the exact same! Turns out the alternator I had fitted before was too cheap and poor quality. It failed after 2 years.

Fitted a top-quality Bosch this time. See how long it lasts. Think this one will last a lot longer tbh..

Cheers guys managed to look at the sticker on it and traced the make. It seems to have been made by a company called Rollco which I've never heard of.

Hopefully getting a good quality replacement will have me sorted.

Is it a long/labour intensive job? Just wondering what it's likely to cost in labour as I've only just forked out £700 to sort out an SSG gearbox issue! :cry:

Had mine changed for £50..

Just requires the AC and AUX belts to be removed then a few bolts undoing.. It shouldn't take too long..

EDIT: Should add for my 330d it cost over £300 for the bloody thing! lol

Edited by momo