Jard

330d Tuning (Decats, EGR blanks, intercoolers and remaps)

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a 330d.

I have recently purchased a 04 330d touring 204bhp model and would like to free up some bhp.

After a few hours of searching and mixed advice I would like to keep everything together in one thread as I think it would help other 330d owners being a popular topic, but aswell as just advice on tuning it's also advice on what fits and what doesn't for both 184bhp and 204bhp models.

Decats - I'm mainly just thinking of just getting the ecotune primary decat, but thinking is it beneficial enough to remove the 2nd cat also?

Does the ecotune primary decat fit both 184/204bhp models?

Roughly what bhp is expected from just the decat?

EGR blanks/pipes - there's plenty on the Market, ranging from £25 (eBay) - £90 (alhard), are they any more beneficial then each other, engine runs better with a certain one or better fixings etc?

Are EGRs the same for both 184/204bhp models?

Intercoolers - im aware that some universal intercoolers interfere with the space up front and some people remove the aircon fan, but has anyone fitted a universal intercooler on there's? Was there much work involved? Where was it purchased from? Could you still use the oem pipework?

Or really is it worth purchasing one from airtec or alhard? Do these still cause space issues?

Remaps - Im personally unsure on where to take my 330d once the above parts have been purchased/fitted, I'm from the midlands so emaps/cnl have come up from searches, but are these just generic maps (economy/miild/aggressive), has anyone recently used these companies?

How much roughly do these cost?

Or would it be wise/worth it (even though the modification list is farily small) to get a custom/live map from let's say MSD (motorsport developments) so everything can be tweaked on a RR for both the modifications done but also the drivers driving style (£250-500)

Not in the title, but obviously increasing the power will show weaknesses in the drivetrain such as dmf, clutch, prop donuts etc.

A friend was told he had a m3 lightened/balanced flywheel in his old 330d but didn't know too much info on it, is this something that's been done a few times? I guess it's to help with the torque but also spin up more freely helping to pick up the revs quicker.

Look forward to hearing the advice/information that comes from this for me personally and others wanting to find the same information all in one thread.

Edited by Jard

no need to physically remove the egr, just clean it then remove the vacuum pipe & get it mapped out. i would recommend simon at emaps, he will map out your egr & do the power remap at same time, charged me around £250. i assume that you are also going to remove the swirl flaps and replace the breather filter with the new vortex style one?

Edited by coop

BW Chiptune, who did my remap, said my decat wouldn't gain me any extra power (it defo spools up faster though).

I guess this is true - my car made 6bhp less than a friend's car, and they're both mapped by the same people, it's just that mine has an extra 100,000 miles on the clock...

Here's a very very recent thread on the Allard FMIC: http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/59420-allard-fmic/:)

I personally found it much better to remove the EGR pipework than just rely on a bypass. Saying that though, I didn't use the Allard EGR Bypass and maybe for that reason I kept getting a leak at the join with the existing pipe and bypass.

If you look at these progress threads you'll see a lot of recent upgrades on the 330Ds and potential impacts/benefits and plenty of good ideas :)

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/55760-my-330d-m-sport-manual-touring/

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/52997-e46-330d-hillclimb-car/

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/54924-my-330d-nissan-man/

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/43411-scotts-330cd/

Oh - if you have swirl flaps, get them done!

Thanks so far guys..

The_judge - ye I removed the swirl flaps last week and will have to check those build threads out..

At the moment I'm concentrating on getting the cars health upto scratch, full service (oil/filter, air filter, fuel filter, discs and pads etc) and just had the handbrake shoe break away so having that stripped down, built back up and new shoes Tuesday..

Then coilovers/tyres and more power.....

Cool, also look at what coop says, I think you already have the vortex breather and not loo roll style, but may be worth replacing add a maintenance item anyway.

You may want to add silicon hoses to the intercooler inlet/outlets as Hefty & I have done. It's probably why I got that slightly higher bhp than triggerfish above ..... (!)

Oh and get INPA and check all your injectors are ok too and within tolerance.

Oh and final thing, make sure your thermostats both work as well as your water pump, as part of your maintenance your currently doing, and your drive belts are in good nick, it's not always obvious when they are wrong and no point going down the mods route till these basics are done, which you seem to be doing anyway :). Use this guide for above:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f91/e46-330d-thermostat-ac-water-pump-drive-belt-replacement-t103035/

oh and if you aren't replacing the intercooler for a while, is with clearing all the crap which is sitting on it, sorry long post, but I've just condensed the last year of my life into this post .....!

Edited by The_judge aka Suf

Mines the 184bhp engine and I recently replaced the turbo (had a bad turbo failure, while I was doing that I also decat'ed it, got rid of the EGR and replaced the I/C as it had a split..

I also did a full service on it.

The I/C I used was universal one that, it fitted fine but had to trim some of the cowlings down, I left the A/C fan off as it seised, I used the original metal boost pipes but had to make up some new pips for in-between the metal boost pipes and the I/C.

I need to get it remapped to get the best out of it but so far it deffo feels like it comes on boost sooner and feels a little quicker, but saying that it had been about 2 weeks since Id last driven it due to the blown turbo... so could just be in my head!

As for remaps, Im in the midlands too and would prefer a custom one so if you find a good place let me know!

Hudson speed shop in Cambridgeshire. Not too close but not a huge trek. Definitely worth it 100% top guy and knows his stuff.

....Phone.....

I've just found this on the bay. Very good idea having a direct fit, no pipework messing setup.

But £400 is steep when it's only a 60 quid universal IC with 2x90° bends welded on with the pipe from the standard pipes attached.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161711499795&alt=web

....Phone.....

Mine is an early 204bhp. It had the swirl flaps removed by the PO. It's allegedly had a remap but the PO didn't have any documentary evidence, so until I get a chance to get it on a dyno, I assume it hasn't.

Since I've had the car I've fitted an Allard EGR-delete tube, removed all the associated pipework and blanked the exhaust manifold. I'd like to fit a de-cat, but all my plans are on hold because I'll likely be changing the car within the next year. Any replacement car will be another E46 330d, so I'll start again on that one.

Huge power figures don't impress me as much as driveability, so I'm unlikely to ever go as far as fitting a bigger intercooler or different injectors. IMHO, swirl flap and EGR deletes are an absolute must on these engines.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

My build thread is one of the ones suf listed above.

Decatted downpipe, de flapped and mapped made 285bhp/450lbft. I've since fitted allard egr delete, allard fmic, gutted secondary cats, magnex cat back exhaust. Just got couple more mods before remapping again. But my lift pump has s**t itself lol.

I'd also add that fitting a bypass over simply disconnecting the egr.....the difference is night and day. With the egr disconnected it is still causing turbulence with the air flow, blanking it makes a much smoother transition

Edited by Todd1983

I'd also add that fitting a bypass over simply disconnecting the egr.....the difference is night and day. With the egr disconnected it is still causing turbulence with the air flow, blanking it makes a much smoother transition

This ^^^ :thumbsup: The restriction inside the EGR must be getting-on for half the CSA. :o

Mine is a 54 plate and had the loo role style breather for information in this thread. Any research i did before changing it suggested it would already have the vortex style one with it being a 54 plate.

Whats the deal with EGR deletes on the later ones? From reading threads (you can tell from my post count that im more of a lurker!) it'll bring the engine light on with my later 330cd, as will a decat? It had a shark performance stage 1 map on it when i bought it, egr wasnt 'mapped' out, standard cat still present. I'd like to fit a downpipe and eisenmann backbox (If i ever find one second hand or may just have to take the plunge) as well as the egr delete but assume i'd have to get it mapped again!

The later engines will bring up the EML on both the 320d and 330d and it has to be mapped out if you disconnect or replace the EGR with a proper kit. A decat shouldnt put on an EML at all but may be wrong, didnt on mine.

Mine has a 'stage 1' map on it already from previous owner. Think i'll do the decat then do a bit of saving and go to these guys for their 'stage 3' in the long run. Half the stuff's already done. http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/BMW_E46_330D_Turbo_Diesel_Tuning_In_Blackpool.html

Polybushed front lolypops and rear trailing arms and Bilstein coilovers to go on, get the handling sussed first before any more power haha