Straight6 josh

Bolts to nuts...

Hi all,

Just after some opinions really, I'm buying new wheels in a few weeks so I'm also after some nicer looking wheel bolts as mine are dated.

Now, I'm looking for something nice and shiny ! And 95% of them are Nuts and not bolts... So, I googled to see if there's an easy way to convert to nuts. There are kits out there, basically just a threaded stud that screws into the existing hole and is secured with red loctite and then wheel nuts screw on as they would.

Anyone done this ? I'm a little skeptical at the minute so hoping someone can shed some light.

This is an example of one of the kits available

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-BMW-E46-BLACK-CONVERSION-WHEEL-STUDS-AND-BLACK-NUTS-/181446147069

And here are the type of wheel nuts I'm after or similar to give an idea

http://www.eightspeed.co.uk/acatalog/Wheel_Nuts.html

any help and or advice is appreciated !

I prefer studs myself - had these on the Honda's and Toyota's I've previously owned.

I do think its a bit of a waste of money changing them really though. For how often you take the wheels off its an inconvenience I'm happy to live with.

I prefer studs myself - had these on the Honda's and Toyota's I've previously owned.

I do think its a bit of a waste of money changing them really though. For how often you take the wheels off its an inconvenience I'm happy to live with.

It's only a visual thing really, not too bothered about if it makes removing and fitting wheels easier

Don't do it.

The hubs are designed for bolts. End of. Studs just wound in and held with loctite will just come loose. I know this first had from a friend thy did this on his clio and it was constantly coming loose. And low and behold it lost a few too.

Very dangerous.

....Phone.....

Its all a bit scene kid to me to be honest, just be a man & hold the wheel in place & shove a couple of bolts in ;)

Or, get one of these......... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easy-to-use-alloy-wheel-fitting-alignment-tool-for-M12-x-1-5-Thread-/261816252380?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item3cf576f7dc

:thumbsup::thumbup:

Its all a bit scene kid to me to be honest, just be a man & hold the wheel in place & shove a couple of bolts in ;)

Probably ! I'm only 20 though and seem to be influenced by these sorts of things :)

Yea, your Mrs does it for me

lol!!

Your doing really well in every other respect! YOu havent fitted a big fcuk off exhaust or 20 million subs in the boot, your on the right track little one, i intend to keep you that way :lol:

oh ffs, you've just described me haven't you

Restarting an old thread here, I'm considering stud and nut conversion, not really for scene points but because I'm looking at hubcentric spacers. I want studs so I can slide spacers on then the wheels without faffing about. Although I hadn't thought about the handbrake adjustment bit!

Looking at eBay and Google, mtec racing supplies keeps cropping up. Anyone used them and their products like studs and spacers?

http://mtec-racing.com/vehicle-parts-spares/3564060

Thanks

If that's the only reason you might be better off with these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sparco-Wheel-Spacers-2-x-16mm-BMW-3-E46-CHEAP-DELIVERY-WORLDWIDE-M12-x-1-5-/271107571328?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW%7CPlat_Gen%3AE46&hash=item3f1f453e80

You replace the disc retaining screw with the one supplied to effectively lock the spacer in place! Seems like a great idea to me! lol

If the spacers are hubcentric then they'll sit on the hub just fine, allowing you to then fit your wheels? I've never had any issues with them?

EDIT: Have a look at sive s's m3 thread as to why I wouldn't go to studs.

Edited by bungers

I can't find said thread? On the phone so don't think the search is as good? I see what you're saying about the hub bit, but I'm the type of person who is always taking wheels off to do something so could get annoying.

Plus, I've been around a lot of track days/cars etc and it's always bolts that fail or come loose rather than stud and nut conversions. And I've seen a few e46 m3's with nuts and think they look the nuts (lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother and if you are that bothered go with the spacers in the link posted earlier.

Standard bolts are tapered so the ones supplied with the spacers will be fine.

I've got normal hubcentric spacers and they seem to get stuck to the wheel anyway so are dead easy to fit back on.

Edited by ben.embrey

I wouldn't bother and if you are that bothered go with the spacers in the link posted earlier.

Standard bolts are tapered so the ones supplied with the spacers will be fine.

I've got normal hubcentric spacers and they seem to get stuck to the wheel anyway so are dead easy to fit back on.

I ran 15mm spacers on my previous coupe, the cheap H/C spacers from ebay, 35 odd quid a pair I think. They came with longer bolts obviously and were no hassle at all. I remove my wheels when cleaning often and as Ben says, most of the time the spacer gets stuck to the back of the wheel (copper grease'd up too) so its as easy to refit the wheel as it would be without spacers.

Sive had a rear wheel fall off - imagine if it had happened at 70+ on the motorway!

Edited by Ruesta