GuitarGuy

E46 330d (204) induction kit

Hello BMW familia,

This one may stir up some controversy but I'd like to get this out of the way before I fully start this post, before commenting please realise I already (think I) know the following:

1 : I won't get any power gains and may even loose some for doing this mod

2 : I'm childish for caring about sound from a diesel, didnt stop me spending £X00 last week on a 3" mandrel bent straight pipe from the turbo and straight out the back, and I freaking love it as boy racer as it may seem to some of you, I've had nothing but compliments from people since I fitted it.

Right so I'm wondering if its possible to fit a cone/pod type filter to this car, I'd like to get a better induction sound out of it. I was thinking of building a heat shield around it, redirecting the snorkel that comes from the factory to feed in from underneath where i would have the heat shield as well as joining on to another duct that brings in more cool air from the front grille in the middle of the bumper? (facelift coupe)

Any suggestions on where to look as google seems to be drawing a blank on this one?

Cheers

Also for anyone interested in seeing about the exhaust i made a little video about it all:

Do you know where the air filter is on the 330d? Have a look first.. It'll probably answer most of your questions! :)

...google seems to be drawing a blank on this one?

There's a good reason! ;)

Here's the air filter housing on a 320d (it's exactly the same on the 3.0ltr engine):

image_37020_big.jpg

It's already a cone filter in it's own housing, attached to the engine. The one in the image above is a K&N replacement filter.

You won't be able to move it easily at all tbh!

Edited by momo

I already had a long look into this and to be honest it's pointless and expensive at around £350, I ended up dropping a pipercross filter in eventually.

I had a look at this http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57A-6042 which fits on the 2litre or 3litre diesel as they both have the same air filter housing,

Have a looky here http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57A-6042_inst.pdf

Thats one of the cheapest http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-57A-6042-APOLLO-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-INDUCTION-KIT-BMW-318-320D-E90-E91-2-0TD-/291435569868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43dae9e2cc :huh:

Dont really like this factory system but it does the job :thumbsup:

Edited by daud786

Its for a number of different BMW models momo, have a look in here http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57A-6042_inst.pdf

Installation process and the setup looks exactly the same as our E46's,

I might be wrong ofcourse but i did have a look at the engine bay of a e90 318d once and it looked identical to my 320d, am pretty sure this kit would fit but like I said its too expensive plus people that have tried this kit say it isnt that great. I dont know :mellow:

I did try and get a hold of that pipe only but that is expensive on its own as that is what is required to connect from oval shape of the maf to a filter of your choice.

Just to add the reviews from that page for the different models not sure if its accurate;

Customer Feedback

Used this for my 1994 BMW 325i Convertible show car. Great replacement over open filter that I did have, the TK-14084-2 Works and looks great, thank you very much.
Eugene J Ewing, Jr., Erie, Pennsylvania The air filter was a perfect fit on my wife 2011 BMW 328i.
Ryan Wen, California Replaced the stock BMW air filter with the BM-1113. Fits the 2013 R1200GS water-cooled engine. Great filter.
Scott, Lincoln, California Edited by daud786

Haha yeah I know, exactly why I ended up buying a pipercross drop in filter :thumbup:

Edited by daud786

Thanks for all the positive assistance guys,

point well made and received loud and clear, whilst it may be nice to get some induction noise, ill just bop a piper cross in.

I did know where the air filter was, I've only just changed it with a Mann filter last month :P but i figured someone must have found a solution by now. Makes sense though. Cheers

Depends who you speak to - most say it's useless on our diesel engines. Even after remapping. I spoke with Colin from CNL mapping about it years ago when he mapped my car (he also had a remapped 330Cd at that time). He said it gave him a couple of bhp if anything IIRC.

The existing setup is already a cone type filter - so not much to be gained by replacing? Unless you want to be able to never replace it again (filter for life)?

Depends who you speak to - most say it's useless on our diesel engines. Even after remapping. I spoke with Colin from CNL mapping about it years ago when he mapped my car (he also had a remapped 330Cd at that time). He said it gave him a couple of bhp if anything IIRC.

The existing setup is already a cone type filter - so not much to be gained by replacing? Unless you want to be able to never replace it again (filter for life)?

Reason I got a pipercross, Just take it out and clean it whenever i want to!

It does sound very nice. Especially on the road test. How do you get it through MOT's

I have a straight pipe system from the turbo also, I had fake covers installed to make it look like I have a cat, No issues with MOT's so far :punk:

I have a Pipercross filter, had it so long I cant remember if it really did anything but its useful to pop out once in awhile, wipe down and put back in.

The thing with aftermarket filters is they let more dirt through as well. Stock filters let a perfect amount of air through whilst keeping a reasonable amount of dirt out.

That exhaust is gorgeaus, would love something like that!

i just had a thought about this, couldn't I just run a cone filter off the turbo directly?

Yeah id have to remove a bunch of the stock system but then silicone hose up to say where the snorkel normally has that ribbed part of hose that hooks in to the normal air filter?

i just had a thought about this, couldn't I just run a cone filter off the turbo directly?

Yeah id have to remove a bunch of the stock system but then silicone hose up to say where the snorkel normally has that ribbed part of hose that hooks in to the normal air filter?

You are missing out the MAF which being an oval shape is awkward. You can, but its a lot of effort for little reward. Doesnt make it very unique though.

I already thought to do this also but gave up, you wont gain much tbh, up to you at the end of the day though!

I looked into using different MAF housings from the petrol cars didn't look into it much, worth a try?

Likewise as well the intake system is designed differently to other diesels. With my PD Bora it was a case of more air was best so ducting and larger intake to the turbo worked well. However, these have a funnel shaped piece which I suspect also allows for quicker pickup at low revs and to try and make the car feel torquier low down. If you remove that funnel (Ive tried) it makes the car more laggy low down but when it picks up you have more airflow and makes a very small difference. But, you need to change your driving style and keep the revs closer to 1800 and upwards as at 1500 it has less go.

Could be very clever to remove all the housing (probablu save some weight!) And design your own system but if it works, I wouldnt play with it.

Edited by dooge

I just really want the induction noise, relatively large turbo so it'd make some epic noises.

Also quick question about the waste gate, since removing my cats from the exhaust, if i hit full throttle around 2k rpm, let the turbo spool then lift off i get the owl hoot really clearly, its louder than the burble by some margin, is that coming through the exhaust? If so couldn't i just run that to a blow off valve?

I know for a fact the owl hoot comes from the exhaust cause I have that also, really clear and loud :unsure:

Edited by Daud