Paddybrown23

Steering coupler/guibo where to buy?

Going to attempt to change my steering coupler as after changing pretty much all the suspension, the steering still doesn't feel right. Anyone know where I can buy one from other then BMW? Looked on ECP and GSF but don't list them, cheers!

There is a guy called Will Frost on some of the BMW parts for sale facebook groups who has made a solid steering guibo and sells them when he makes batchs. Ive wanted to try one but not got round to buying one yet. Im guessing you may get a bit more feel but it should eliminate some of the tramlining and pulling issues if you have narrowed it down to that part.

Edited by dooge

There is a guy called Will Frost on some of the BMW parts for sale facebook groups who has made a solid steering guibo and sells them when he makes batchs. Ive wanted to try one but not got round to buying one yet. Im guessing you may get a bit more feel but it should eliminate some of the tramlining and pulling issues if you have narrowed it down to that part.

Think I just want a straight replacement to be honest.

It may be worth calling Cotswold BMW. They supply genuine bmw parts but all the time I have used them they have been cheaper than my local dealer and that included postage!

Might give them a bell, cheers!

I've just sold the last one from the latest batch of solid ones I do.

But j can get fresh ones if you decide you want uprated instead of rubber.

:) Toby

i think I just want a replacement to be honest, i can imagine the solid ones would give too much feedback through the steering wheel wouldn't they? Edited by Paddybrown23

i think I just want a replacement to be honest, i can imagine the solid ones would give too much feedback through the steering wheel wouldn't they?
Any feedback that is received through the steering wheel is gratefully received in my opinion.

On day to day driving there is no noticeable negative feedback....the solid bush is no different to what other car manufacturers do, just bmw decided for extra comfort a rubber join was the option.

A very well known and highly regarded Motorsport engine builder bought one off me for his 330d and this was his feedback:

I expecting fitting to be a bit laborious, but it wasn't bad really. I used a pit so I could get easy access from above and below. I paint marked the joint to shaft at each end (to ensure alignment was maintained), removed the undertray and crossmember to bulkhead brace panel for much easier access. top and bottom pinch bolts out of the joint, unbolted the steering rack and slide it forward off the joint and it pretty much fell out. Removing the rivets in a vice was easy, I ground the side of all the washers into "D" shaped to make them sit flat. Grease inside the joint splines to make it slide back onto the rack pinion easier (still a bit of a c**t), bolted the rack back into place, wiggled the steering before nipping up the pinch bolts, to make sure there was no bias in it. lower brace panel and undertray back on and checked tracking.

Just pulling out of the workshop it felt different straight away, meatier and instant. It doesn't make the steering any heavier, just removes the soft initial take up the standard bush gives as it flexes. Out on the road it was immediately apparent that even though I'd paint marked it, the steering column alignment had changed (easily rectified by moving the wheel on the splines). It took me a little while on familiar roads to really absorb the difference, but it's clearly a lot more precise and the constant micro steering corrections I'm used to with E46s are no longer needed. The feedback is only very slightly better and there's no noticeable change in vibration/harshness; anyone concerned about that or weight, really shouldn't be, it feels to me how the car should always feel and in fact the loss of softness in the steering reaction serves to make the refinement of the rest of the car more appreciable!

Very good mod and well worth it. Thanks Toby.

This is by no means a sales pitch either, just some honest feedback from someone other than me.

Edited by Quiksilver_TR

i think I just want a replacement to be honest, i can imagine the solid ones would give too much feedback through the steering wheel wouldn't they?

You can buy mine if Quicksilver knocks up some more solid ones any time soon? Its been on the car for a few months and its only my wifes runaround...

On 06/07/2015 17:02:45, Quiksilver_TR said:

Hi Toby,

Is it a replacement for the lower flexible coupling that you make? I.e no.2 on the diagram below?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=AV53-USA---E46-BMW-330i&diagId=32_0942

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 16:19, sdjfaulkes said:

Hi Toby,

Is it a replacement for the lower flexible coupling that you make? I.e no.2 on the diagram below?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=AV53-USA---E46-BMW-330i&diagId=32_0942

Sorry for my delayed reply, I missed your post.

2 is a US / Left Hand Drive part, as they don't have the heat shield fitted like the UK / right hand drive models do.

The RHD models need the heat shield as they are located right next to the exhaust manifold. Image on the left is the UK / RHD version.

The solid Item I do is a direct replacement for both (as they are the same except for the heat shield).

1 hour ago, Quiksilver_TR said:

Sorry for my delayed reply, I missed your post.

2 is a US / Left Hand Drive part, as they don't have the heat shield fitted like the UK / right hand drive models do.

The RHD models need the heat shield as they are located right next to the exhaust manifold. Image on the left is the UK / RHD version.

The solid Item I do is a direct replacement for both (as they are the same except for the heat shield).

Cheers, yup worked that out the hard way, but appreciate you clarifying. If you have any for sale let me know. Though I hear mixed reviews from changing the coupler on the RHD cars, I got a bit caught up in the US forums who swear by the replacement (be that with a new OEM or otherwise), but lots of people saying RHD original far less likely to fail....then again, there must be a reason you started making them in the first place?