coop

pressed metal number plates - opinions pls

what are your thoughts on the above? i'm quite tempted but the black border they all have around the outside is putting me off a bit, i quite like the clean look of borderless badgeless plates. also, if i drill fixing holes in them would they start to corrode around the holes? wouldn't want to rely on sticky pad fixings.

Edited by coop

I have them on mine, they look clean And I have used sticky pads for the last 3 years and they don't budge. Putting holes in pressed plates ruins them IMO.

I've got them on my e30. I like them.

Never considered Stu's point about the age of a car, but I can see that now. I think on a modern car they'd be a bit strange, but I think the e46 is old enough to pull it off

Never considered Stu's point about the age of a car, but I can see that now. I think on a modern car they'd be a bit strange, but I think the e46 is old enough to pull it off

I can remember when acrylic plates first came out. We couldn't wait to get a pair and bin the pressed ones (or the punched plate with riveted-on letters, can't remember the trade name of those....).

I've actually just ordered some clean GB badge acrylic plates - seeing as the car will be going to the continent fairly often I don't want a whacking great GB sticker (or magnet) on the back so prefer it on the plates. To save drilling them I've ordered a pair of number plate surrounds (not M-Power ones!) with BMW Autohaus Munchen printed on them.

My Fiesta has pressed metal plates in number plate surrounds bought from a dutch car parts store. I definitely prefer pressed metal if I'm honest, but as the BMW is my daily I'm not overly fussed.

Edited by dontpannic

I have pressed plates, they are made from aluminum if Im correct so you can drill through. For them to stick well I bend them so its shaped to the boot and numberplate mount on the front. Just makes it look clean and a little different imo.