Alex B

E46 330d M Sport or E39 530d M Sport?

I've recently bought a 2003 330d touring manual M Sport after giving up looking for a 530d manual M Sport, but I've got the option of a 2002 530d Manual M Sport now.

Anyone owned both and able to give me feedback? I really like the 3 series and it seems fairly economical but I like the rarity and extra size of the 5 series. I've also read the 5 series is more comfortable/softer.

Thanks

Alex B

Edited by Alex B

Can't comment on the engines as I've never owned the 3.0d in any bmw but I've owned a fair few e46's and a couple of e39's.

In terms of comfort the e39 is in another league. It was like driving around in your living room. Saying all that the e39 was auto whereas the e46s were manual.

Echo the comments above, E39's are uber, but the E46 is smaller & lighter so a little better on fuel

Both will be the earlier 2.9 engine, which I had in my first 330d, loads of low end punch, but not as revvy as the later 3.0 and not quite as good on fuel, but still good.

E39 330d's in manual are very rare though

My 330 is the 204bhp 6 speed one, full black leather heated seats, 120k miles, pretty tidy, nice to drive, averaged 38mpg on a recent holiday to cornwall, (genuine, not from the display).

The 530 I'm looking at is alcantara, (so probably not heated), probably in the region of 180k miles at a guess, (was at 160k a year ago), needs a few jobs doing but price reflects it.

On paper the E39 is only 1mpg lower round town but now sure in real terms.

Alex B

My 330 is the 204bhp 6 speed one, full black leather heated seats, 120k miles, pretty tidy, nice to drive, averaged 38mpg on a recent holiday to cornwall, (genuine, not from the display).

The 530 I'm looking at is alcantara, (so probably not heated), probably in the region of 180k miles at a guess, (was at 160k a year ago), needs a few jobs doing but price reflects it.

On paper the E39 is only 1mpg lower round town but now sure in real terms.

Alex B

As much as the E39 is a great car, the later 3.0 D engine with a 6 speed manual box in an E46 Sport Touring is rare, yours also a lot less miles and if it were me I'd keep the E46

I was tempted but already have a '92 GMC suburban, R32 GTR, Marcos V6, 200sx S14a, I'd get hung if I bought another car without getting rid of one!

I am leaning towards keeping the E46 for the reasons Rich D says, along with the fact I already have it!

Alex B

I prefer the e46 , IMO 1 of the best BMW ever.

You've clearly never owned an E39, it's like an E46, very similar in some respects, but even better

Both cars are superb though

Edited by Rich_D