330CDT

E46 Corrosion Warranty

Hi guys, I recently bought my 04' 330CD - it has some bubbling on the rear arch and very small patches on the front sills.

I took it to BMW after a couple of weeks after as I'm aware time is running out on the warranty - for a 'bodywork inspection'

The bloke came out, took my service history book & took some pics and paint depth readings and then ummm'd & arrr'd at some questions I asked him, he didn't think I would be able to get anything from it. He send off the information anyway for me.

He didn't think I would have a case, no biggie I thought (was just trying it on really if they get sorted I'd be well pleased, but I'm not too bothered as I'm happy with the car anyway)

A week later I get a call saying they have accepted my claim!

And they reckon it could take a week to a week and a half to sort and I'll get a manual mini cooper all free of charge. Unfortunately the bloke on the phone didn't understand the paperwork and I was asking what's included and he was saying front wings and drivers side panels etc.. but on the front I only have a small patch on the sill. He said the person dealing with it is on holiday so I need to call back and find out what's what.

Anyway - here's the pictures of how the car is now.

Front right sill :

iikjIRSl.jpg

nuV4bsml.jpg

Front left:

B3on4lsl.jpg

xFSRu0Xl.jpg

Rear left:

FU9knN6l.jpg

8gl0t8hl.jpg

Rear right:

VAJuFn8l.jpg

So my question is - does my rusting look that bad?

Will they repair it and match it all up perfectly? I'm just a bit worried as I've just bought it and don't want any agro haha.

What would you guys do in my shoes?

Think I'll just man up and get it done once I find out what bits they are doing.

Cheers guys,

Tom

Edited by 330CDT

You've done well to get it out of them so top marks for that!

I'd personally go ahead with it, the repair must be to a reasonable standard and if you're not happy with it just say.

The rear quarters and even more so with the sills are an integral part of the car and worth keeping in good order.

It would also make it more desirable should you wish to sell it on..

I had mines done under the warranty, they done a crap job and the rust started to come back in under a year, needless to say I have been back and it is going for repairs again second time lucky I hope!

Edited by Daud

I had the front wings replaced and the bootlid. But they wanted to grind back the rear arches and repaint.

Told them, no thanks. Arranged to have the rust cut and new metal welded in.......then it was written off when i got rearended.

I suppose that is one way to sort the rust problem out!

I had mines done under the warranty, they done a crap job and the rust started to come back in under a year, needless to say I have been back and it is going for repairs again second time lucky I hope!

Same experience as Daud for me but they wouldn't take it back the 2nd time (even though they said the repair had a further 3 year warranty).. Arches are a complete mess now!

Well, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear!

Haha. Balls, now I really don't know what to do.

Is it possible I could just tell them to do the front sills...?

I need to find out what they are actually planning on doing, this could be a few fun phonecalls...

Cheers,

Tom

Basic way to look at it -

If the part is removable (front wings, bonnet, boot lid etc..) - they will remove and replace with a new item so you can be sure it won't rust up again any time soon.

If the part is NOT removable (rear arches, sills, roof etc..) - they'll grind back the rust, fill and respray. They don't treat further which means you can bet it'll come back at some point.

The best way to repair it long term is to cut out the rusted metal and replace with new metal. If you can't do that you at least need to grind it away as much as possible, treat it with rust remedy, protect (such as waxoyl) and prime, then paint and lacquer - main franchises won't do that! And tbh you'll be lucky to find any body shop willing to do that unless you pay an arm and a leg (but likely they'll be worth it).

Your rear arches really don't look that bad. Looks like surface rust to me so I'd be happy with a grind and respray. If you had bubbling on the outside and around the front of the arch that's another matter.

On the sills I'd be interested to see whats underneath. Have you had the skirt off to look?

I hadn't got any of the bubbling you've shown at all, just noticed what I thought to be surface rust underneath so I whipped off the side skirt to treat and found this -

AAFADA82-ED01-4FE6-AD4F-D30E030A5410_zps

Luckily as its hidden by the skirt it was easy to have the old sill cut out and replaced with new metal.

Edited by ben.embrey

Beaten to it by Ben - expect there to be something lurking under the sill covers too!

I had mine off a couple of years ago, and found this: http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/47906-sills-removed-my-rust-findings/

I'm sure two years of neglect isn't going to have improved them at all... For the 30 minutes to take them off and check, it's well worth doing if they're going to work on it already.

Thanks for the info guys!

Your rear arches really don't look that bad. Looks like surface rust to me so I'd be happy with a grind and respray. If you had bubbling on the outside and around the front of the arch that's another matter.

On the sills I'd be interested to see whats underneath. Have you had the skirt off to look?

I hadn't got any of the bubbling you've shown at all, just noticed what I thought to be surface rust underneath so I whipped off the side skirt to treat and found this -

Luckily as its hidden by the skirt it was easy to have the old sill cut out and replaced with new metal.

:o Holy cow, I haven't even had my sill off - that's very worrying!

I'll go ahead and get them to sort the front and check under the sills then!

Happy to leave the rears unless they say otherwise.

Cheers

Thanks for the info guys!

:o Holy cow, I haven't even had my sill off - that's very worrying!

I'll go ahead and get them to sort the front and check under the sills then!

Happy to leave the rears unless they say otherwise.

Cheers

It looked to me like I'd got trapped moisture somewhere beneath the skirt and it does looks worse in the pics than it actually was. As I said it was a faily easy fix for someone good at welding. Cost me £130 to have a new section made up and welded. As its covered by the skirt I didn't need to have it blended and sprayed etc.

If I were you I'd whip the skirts off (its a 5 minute job) and have a look.

I'd then take it to BMW and get as much done for free as you can. Worst case is your rust free for 6 months or so then if / when it comes back you can get it sorted properly.

Edited by ben.embrey

Exactly the spots my '04 330cd went in & they repaired it under warranty. The rear arch came back through after 3 months so I got them to do it again and it was still fine 9 months later when I sold it.

So.. the extra scratches on the sill will be £150 if I get them repaired at the same time,

And they can refurb the alloys for £75 a wheel and are doing 4 for the price of 3 at the moment.

Ahhhh! May end up spending quite a bit.

I got the paceman 's' for a week haha. It makes a nice noise!

20150721_090526_zpsq1myqsld.jpg

Haha I know it's massive. Classed as an 'SUV' 190bhp or something. Straight into sport mode lol.

Think I'm going to go for all alloys refurbed while they have it for a week. Saves faffing about later on.. ££ though! Cars!!