lsuk

DSC and brake warning light both yellow

I took my car in recently for an inspection II service and mentioned that the DSC light comes on sometimes..i don't think this info was passed onto the BMW mechanic. Now a few weeks after my service i noticed today that after a short time driving the car both the DSC and brake warning lights come on yellow. also at one point there was a short audible sound. Pressing the DSC button does not change anything. though pressing the DSC button when none of the 2 above lights are on does turn the DSC light yellow, pressing again and it goes off as expected. The handbook for the above condition says there is a defect and have the system checked asap. Its about 3 weeks since i had the car serviced at the BMW dealership and i've only driven the car a few miles, probably less than 20. Any advise please? My car is a 3 Series (E46) Compact 316tiES.

Yes mine exactly the same at the moment. The fault code said the abs pressure sensor (didn't say which one- I'll unplug each in turn and Rescan). I did unplug each sensor and clean contacts which cured fault for a while by it eventually came back. Think they are about £100 each.

Yes mine exactly the same at the moment. The fault code said the abs pressure sensor (didn't say which one- I'll unplug each in turn and Rescan). I did unplug each sensor and clean contacts which cured fault for a while by it eventually came back. Think they are about £100 each.

abs pressure sensors..are these the same as speed sensors? they are located near the wheel discs. Did you have the ABS light in yellow? i don't get the ABS light on so maybe i can rule out the speed sensors (abs pressure sensor?) being at fault.

i have a diagram showing the DSC E46. sensor inputs i see are:

-4 x wheel speed sensor

-2 x charge pressure sensor - this is in brake master cyclinder? not sure where that is!

-rotation rate sensor - i think this is the sensor on the steering column?

-lateral acceleration sensor - i think this may be under the driver seat?

other inputs include:

-electronic brake light switch

-park brake switch

-DSC switch

i'm looking at getting a scanner such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Scanner-1-4-0-Diagnostic-Interface-Code-Reader-Scan-Tool-E38-E39-E46-E53-E83-/151725822773

Edited by lsuk

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ER12-EUR-01-2002-E46-BMW-316i_19&diagId=34_1092

Have a look at this for master cylinder. front left of bonnet.

After my traction light and brake light came on once. I pulled the codes out and mine looks like nothing wrong with abs.

the code I got for abs no can bus com and time out on can bus which looks like it happened as my camshaft and crankshaft error came up.

Hi, I think before you do anything you have to reset you system witch is simple just remove you fuses for the DSC one by one and put them back together usually you need to do this when you change you brake discs and pads or when you have you brake fluid low that is the time when you DSC module sometimes forget to adjust the new parameters and simple thing like removing you fuses and putting them back do the trick.

PS leave the car off for minimum of 30 minutes before removing the fuses.

Hope that helps   

Edited by Crasher