pete_h

Dash Cameras. What do you have ?

Here's a couple of samples.

What's odd, is that it's not consistant as to if you can read number plates. Not helped by my lights either which reflect off plates and obscure them.

I love how your videos are ranting about bad driving, and then you go and block a junction off in the second video when stopping behind traffic (just after Captain Overtaker turns off)... Brilliant [emoji106]

For those interested, I've wired mine in to the torch charger using 5v voltage regulators (one for my phone, one for my dashcam).

The torch charger circuit is connected to the consumer load so switches on as soon as you unlock the car, and switches off when you lock the car. If you unlock the car and not re-lock it, it will stay on for 16 minutes before turning off.

Another one of mine yesterday lunchtime

Edited by dontpannic

I love how your videos are ranting about bad driving, and then you go and block a junction off in the second video when stopping behind traffic (just after Captain Overtaker turns off)... Brilliant [emoji106]

Yeah, I realised that at the time - bad planning on my part :(

Yeah, I realised that at the time - bad planning on my part :(

Captain Overtaker was much worse!

Nobodies an angel, but a select few are c***s!

Nobody seems to know how that bloody roundabout works!

It's not like the lanes aren't well signposted!

Awesome choice of music by the way. Kei to the City sound track, am I right?! :D

Edited by Nimraynn

Oh s**te. No visible signs on the lead? What make is it?

E-prance, I've ordered a replacement.

It looks like I wired the lighter socket up the wrong way in the first instance and blown the lead.

Ah well :)

Oh s**te. No visible signs on the lead? What make is it?

E-prance, I've ordered a replacement.

It looks like I wired the lighter socket up the wrong way in the first instance and blown the lead.

Ah well :)

Oh dear well it's a learning curve if nothing else.

I got for mine BOB a female cigarette lighter socket from maplin. Wired that to piggyback and earth (tested it with multimeter) then just plugged camera cigarette charger into that.

I got for mine BOB a female cigarette lighter socket from maplin. Wired that to piggyback and earth (tested it with multimeter) then just plugged camera cigarette charger into that.

That's pretty much what I have done (didn't test with a multi though :( )

I couldn't se any marking's on the wires from the socket so I guessed :)

I guessed wrong and now when I look again there are tiny markings on the positive wire........doh!

Edited by B0B

For those interested, I've wired mine in to the torch charger using 5v voltage regulators (one for my phone, one for my dashcam).

The torch charger circuit is connected to the consumer load so switches on as soon as you unlock the car, and switches off when you lock the car. If you unlock the car and not re-lock it, it will stay on for 16 minutes before turning off.

Any details? I'm looking at wiring in a permanent live for my phone, and also potentially getting a cam. Wouldn't know where to start on either, and this sounds perfect! Cheers.

Small world!! It's amazing, they put lanes down, line markers, proper signposting, and still people don't understand it!!

And you're spot on with the soundtrack too - Moog is fantastic at what he does, and it shows in that soundtrack :)

Yeah, small world indeed :) I live in Maidstone, but I work in Beckenham and grew up in West Wickham so know those areas well :thumbsup:

Love MightyCarMods and the music Moog mates. Epic stuff :punk:

Any details? I'm looking at wiring in a permanent live for my phone, and also potentially getting a cam. Wouldn't know where to start on either, and this sounds perfect! Cheers.

Yeah of course mate, this might seem a little technical but here goes.

1x http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P7KN61I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

1x http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-inch-Extension-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000E5CYW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426701990&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+extension+inch

These are available without USB connectors if that's your bag, but considering my phone is USB and my dashcam is USB powered USB made the best sense lol.

I also put an inline fuse holder and 5amp fuse in the circuit too as the torch circuit is connected to the central locking and interior lights (30amps).

So...

Positive to torch socket -> fuse holder -> positive to voltage regulator

Negative to torch socket -> negative to voltage regulator

*because I have two voltage regulators installed, I fed both regulator positives into the same crimp connector for the fuse holder

You can either - do the whole thing with crimp connectors, soldering, or as a worst case, use the little wire tap adaptors (but I don't recommend those).

By doing this, you'll have a USB socket which is powered when you unlock the car, and is shut off when the car is locked.

HOWEVER - these voltage regulators have the data pins connected through which means many Android phones (and I assume iPhones too) think they are plugged in to a computer, limiting the power being taken from your power supply.

My phone (Galaxy S4) supports 1.9A charging, and when plugged directly in to the voltage regulator, was only using 0.46A, meaning it was actually discharging while using sat nav and music!

This is where the little USB extension comes in to play. On the socket side of the extension cable, you need to short out the two data wires by connecting them together.

The easiest way to do this is to cut the cable in half, solder the power lines back together, solder the data pins on the socket side together and leave the plug side open, insulate the cable, and use it in between the voltage regulator and the USB cable to your phone. It should then detect that it's plugged in to an AC adaptor and use the full charging current. Bear in mind that if your phone wants to take more power than the regulator is capable of supplying you could overload the regulator - not cool.

xakFoqp.jpg

Hope that helps a little bit - give me a shout if you need / want any more info :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I'm an IT-illiterate and I need some guidance.......

We're planning a roadtrip next year. Wor Lass has a really f**king annoying habit of wanting me to keep stopping for her to take photos. It's occurred to me that (potentially) videoing the scenic parts of the trip might get her out of the habit. I wouldn't mind so much, but AFAIK she only ever looks at the pictures she takes once..........

I know videoing is possible because I've seen stuff on YouTube. So what do I need in terms of hardware? I would need to be able to hard-wire the camera otherwise battery-life will be an issue, and I would also need multiple memory cards. Then I would need something to allow us to view the content of the memory cards on our laptops (or maybe even the TV).

Is it going to cost me mega-money, or could it be achieved on a budget of - say - £250-300?

£300 will easily buy you a GoPro (or similar) and a range of microSD cards. Depending on the age of your laptop, you'll have a card reader built in, so you'd just need some free software like VLC to watch them back :)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

http://gopro.com/

If you've got a smart phone, you can use that as a view finder for the GoPro to point it in the right place, otherwise it's trial and error with removing the SD card and putting it into a PC.

Or, if you've got a camera already, there's this sort of pikey option?

Bob_Camera_Mount_001.jpg

heres a sample of the blacksys full hd cf-100 with 720p rear camera (but youtube only gets the front cam)

it records based on motion sensors in parking mode which ive tested, i got all my neighbors leaving for work, big brother is watching you, lol

Edited by Cannockwolf

I like the Garmin G20. It's around £140but gives all info needed by police and insurance companies. Time and date, location, speed and G's. Also allows you to use it as a stills camera too. From what I can see it's the one to go for and highly recommended by which.

You can get ones as cheap as £30 on eBay nowadays. My brothers had one in his Scooby for around 6 months now and you wouldn't believe how incredible the picture quality is!

I think mine cost me £34.00

Brilliant bit of kit for the money :)

Chaps,

I have decided to get myself a dash camera, I have read lots of reviews and I'm fairly keen on a couple.

Have any if you lot got one? Is it good bad?

I'd like one that if you have an accident you can press a button ( or it senses ) and saves the previous say ten minutes leading up to the incident.

My camera saves the previous ten seconds, I turned of the 'impact' sensor as it was too sensitive so I just press the button. I have the transcend drivepro 200. Very good quality, however, it's an awkward shape and is quite large so I have to unplug it when I park the car, otherwise it may look too tempting