2clubsp

Clubsport wheel refurb - DIY attempt

So, I got a set of original clubsport wheels of another member on here and will be looking to do a partial refurbishment on them. As they are two piece alloys, I will split them, i.e. remove the centre spoke section and then polish and lacquer the other rim lips. The existing finish is peeling badly. The centre sections are in decent shape and I might get them repainted at a later date.

Here is a pic of one of them as they are now:

74a84d8862de70e53ba7713135e12b15.jpg

While I have them apart, I am also planning on installing a tyre pressure monitoring system that will link to my Andriod head unit. For this, I ordered this kit:

Wireless-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System

It's a bit of a punt but did have an on-line chat with the supplier before spending the grand old sum of $105 (£68) including delivery (from China). I checked out the Andriod app and it works on my phone (at least). I went for the internal sensors as I am not keen on the ones that screw on top of the valve stem. The sensors only weigh 12 grams, so shouldn't be difficult to rebalance the wheels.

Wish me luck!

Edited by 2clubsp

Nice kit.. will be interested to see if it works...!!

Yes, me too! I'm not so worried of it working but rather how reliable it will be, and how long the sensor batteries will last. They claim 3-5 years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Small update: Wheels are apart and rims stripped. Not much more will happen as I'm away next week and at the MotoGP this weekend, but hopefully swift progress will resume soon thereafter. ^_^

The tyre pressure monitoring kit is on its way from China. Eager to see how/if that works.

Doesn't the standard one rely on wheel speed difference? Does it give you an actual pressure reading or just let you know when one wheel is low?

Doesn't the standard one rely on wheel speed difference? Does it give you an actual pressure reading or just let you know when one wheel is low?

Yep that's exactly how it works. it doesn't give any pressure readings it just puts a red war I g light on the dash when it detects a wheel turning at a different speed.

Well, received the kit from China, and at first glance, it is all there. Haven't been able to mount the wheel sensors yet as I am still in the process of refurbishing them. Bloody hard work!

However, I did connect the kit to +12v to see if it powered up and connected to my Android smartphone via the supplied app. And, I am happy to report it seems to function correctly. All wheel sensors report 0 PSI and the ambient temperature. So, so far far so good. Hopefully next week, I'll be able to give at least one wheel a true test and see how accurate the pressure readings are.

It looks like this will be a nice feature for the Android head unit. The app stays in the background until one of the tyres exceeds an alarm condition, either hi/low pressure or temperature. Would be great for trackdays to monitor tyre temperature. Never done a car trackday but plenty of bike ones during my racing days.

Here is what I received:

post-34593-0-24161600-1441475793_thumb.j

Hi,

Here's how to make those CS wheels look fantastic;

Style%2017%2019%20inch%20rebarrel%206_zp

Style%2017%2019%20inch%20rebarrel%201_zp

Convert them to 3 piece and achieve higher levels of awesomeness!

With the TPMS side of things, you can get the better quality made systems from steelmate who are based in the Luton area

http://www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalog/Tyre_Pressure_Monitoring.html

Cheers, Dennis!

Those do look ace, however, the offsets look nearly zero! Are you running those on an non-M3 E46? How do you do the conversion?

Yes, I realise those Chinese TPMS are not the highest quality but for £65 all in I thought it may be worth a punt. I'm about to find out if I wasted my money.

Hi,

I'm not running these wheels, they're not mine. I do have a few contacts who are wheel builders and can do the 1 piece/mono wheel to 3 piece and 2 piece to 3 piece conversions. With new lips and barrels and some machining work and some 'jigging' where possible, the results are spectacular! I have one of my sets of wheels with one of those contacts based in the USA as I want some specific work done and deciding on all of that so that he can get on with it! there's some UK based ones too. Drop me a PM if it's something you might wish to go for !

'Hopefully' the TPMS system will work longer term, there's no real way to test until you do get a flat or lose pressure! The Steelmate product range, although made in China, are made in higher quality, known factories so they can offer things like a warranty and guarantee's etc, a much better route to take!

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

Well, finally managed to get my wheels all done. Got the TPMS system installed and running on my smart phone. It all works! Very pleased and accuracy is better than 0.1 bar, which is very acceptable. No complaints so far. Will be interesting to see how it behaves over the longer term. Eventually, it'll be running on an Andriod head unit. Will post a couple of pics of the finished wheels later.

post-34593-0-87256300-1442744097_thumb.j

Edited by 2clubsp

Be interesting how that turns out @BN101. The pictures in the ad look a bit too good.

On another note, the cheap Chinese tyre pressure monitoring kit has proven itself very well. No failures at all and batteries are still on the first set nearly 3 years on. Very pleased with that as it was a bit of a punt.