Melv1958

Oil usage chat

My current 330ci uses no oil, its using 5w40 which is meant to help with any consumption issues. My old 330ci used to use a litre every 1500 miles, and my old 320ci was even worse! I assume the CCV needed doing on my previous ones, and its possibly already been tended to on my current one.

Very interesting isn't it how some use and some don't, and people panic when they use oil but if there arnt any symptoms then it's ok. Just goes to show every car is different even though they have the same engines and components

Half a litre in 3500 miles, 330 petrol with 103k on the clock.

No evidence of the CCV being changed or the cam cover gasket either.

Both of which I shall probably replace next year :)

Mines down to about 1 litre every 1k.

I recently changed the leaking rocker gasket so will expect a bit more out of the next top up as its dry as a bone now.

I think mine would benefit from a CCV change as the pipe off the rocker gasket does look a bit gunked up...

My 320i was using a litre every 1500 miles or so and after changing the CCV and hoses it slowly got worse. I didn't change the rocker cover gasket but couldn't see any visible signs of leakage. Traded it in when I was putting in over a litre every 700 miles.

My 108k 320i varies weekly, I do in excess of 800 miles a week, some weeks I use no oil at all, but if I do its usually between a half and a full litre. Cant explain the variation at all! All the "usual suspects" have been changed for oe new kit and there are no leaks at all.