Baz2435

Glove box handle, how the hell does that work?

Idiot Alert.

Not long bought a convertible and the glove box doesn't work. I know the convertible glove box has extra electrics as it's wired into the central locking.

Having removed the existing handle I thought I'd get a non convertible handle which has arrived. Now I appreciate that I'm not an engineer but on the whole I'm pretty capable and able to fathom out how things work.

However looking at the two halves of the mechanism I just can't see how it is supposed to work. Is there a secret on how these should be put back together?

You know if you have the roof down it locks the glovebox via central locking right? So make sure the roof is up.

It probably looks the same but uses a completely different system. Typical BMW!

Put the old mech back in. Close glove box. Inset key, turn all the way anti-clockwise. Open lock with key in, whilst open turn key anti-clockwise even more. That should sort you out.

On 19/08/2015 at 14:19, Ilferco said:

Put the old mech back in. Close glove box. Inset key, turn all the way anti-clockwise. Open lock with key in, whilst open turn key anti-clockwise even more. That should sort you out.

Just tried this in my 330 very. Also have the same problem in that I can only ever open the glove box with the key.

With the glove box open and key in the lock it won't turn further anti clockwise than that required to open it. If I turn it further it feels like it might break!

Am I missing something?