govich

330Ci ... gone :(

2 and a bit years ago I bought a 6 speed 330Ci because auto engineers love BMWs and straight sixes.

2_zpsvkzmrjvc.jpg

Standard mod to every car I've owned is an airbox for more intake noise (the best noise)

6_zps9evwf3wk.jpg

Aside from that it's mechanically unchanged. I've tried a remap but all that led to was a barely noticeable 10hp increase and it pinging its head off on Tesco 99, so it's back to standard.

It's been on an easy lap around the 'ring

5_zps2xwwmgbr.png

And around the alps

1_zps2n2vhhiw.jpg

Including the Stelvio pass (too big a car for this really)

4_zpscevlbdwy.jpg

And to the old Reims Gueux circuit in France

3_zps3bxuhtie.jpg

It's a great car to spend time in and for exploring windy country roads in the south downs, could use another 200 hp to make things really interesting though. I've seriously thought about moving to an M3 or 335i but this is just so much car for the money it's worth these days and I would worry about taking those cars on long trips. I've decided to instead spend on fuel and making sure it's mechanically sound.

It tends to get treated very well (Fuchs oils, Michelin tyres, mostly OEM parts..) but that does mean I have confidence during long distance & hard driving.

To come are Rainbow rear speakers, new trim to replace various tatty bits (steering wheel!), some mechanical TLC as it's close to 100k miles and then a drive up Norway next summer.

Cheers!

Edited by govich

Picked up my ESS kit today, the Vortech charger looks huge in the engine bay! I've taken the opportunity to do the oil level sensor, filter housing gasket and new VANOS feed, valve cover gasket etc. It's been leaking a lot of oil & sending the burning smell into the cabin so hopefully all that sorts it. Also got plasma coils to go in, not long before it's all back together.

8fb6f14b-669a-4b9d-b776-ceedf36f2a85_zps

On the drive back, the rear exhaust hanger completely gave up so that's hanging up by cable ties for now..

Also put on an ebay shifter and boot, feels great and very happy with the look. Steering wheel re-trim next!

9842c9b1-fbb9-4cdc-a939-86741469f81e_zps

Lovely car mate! Got the same headunit as you.

Is it worth getting the rainbow speakers and not amping them? When compared to standard speakers with the Erisin unit

Not sure really! Mine are connected through the amp I stumbled upon in the boot, and that's been in there since I got the car. 

Update on today's work, I had to quite literally scrape the valve cover gasket out of the groove and make sure I got every last piece that had dropped into the head! It was closer to plastic than rubber after 100k miles, no wonder it was leaking oil. That and the oil filter housing gasket & vanos line reeeally wanted replacing. I may have to do the CCV system soon after seeing the state of that..

A few bits missing from the ESS kit I picked up (extra belt pulleys and longer alternator bolts) but otherwise smooth sailing. Red goes faster!

d2ead921-edbf-484b-91a8-110aa3fbaa1f_zps

Can you post up lots more pics of the charger install please.

I'm comparing yours to mine :) I fitted the VF charger kit December last year.

FYI at the same time I also fitted rocker cover gasket, CCV, DISA valve, water pump, thermostat, header tank and radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/3/2016 at 21:00, avalaugh said:

Can you post up lots more pics of the charger install please.

Finished the install last night, here are some photos. The kit boils down to the injector install plus:

CCV - connection at the centre of the manifold, blank off top connection at front of manifold

7490de13-f304-4b6f-b300-3724aa5e0a1f_zps

Vac line - rear of intake manifold

ad129e37-9d1f-4ee7-ae11-80ec730c320e_zps

Power steering reservoir - remove hose to front and replace with a longer one

ff574974-5ed3-4e32-8be7-13c7fe442e2b_zps

Mounting - ESS bracket mounts onto the 2 alternator bolt positions, belt runs around 3 additional pulleys on the bracket in addition to the charger pulley

d904327b-20ac-4e63-9024-c927c34f0606_zps

The most time consuming part was fitting the intake hoses (clock the compressor, offer up, trim, repeat many times). Also had to extend the MAF wiring (not shown in this photo)

20160409_201734_zpsezdhyvcz.jpg

I'm a fan of all the extra noise and the car should have been this quick to start with! It loves the boost and so do I...

Edited by govich

Nice one, my kit hardly makes any more noise but my air filter is buried down behind the fog light.

Have you got a link to this kit, would be interesting to compare it to my VF Engineering one, looks incredibly similar.

I got in touch with ESS about updating my map, I think I'm getting a tiny bit of det around 5000 rpm so asking them to pull some timing out.

Happy to send you the current map, it is specific to the red Bosch injectors I've got though (part number 0280155759). Not sure if the fuelling will match the rates of the injectors from the VF kit?

If I use 95ron it's pinking like crazy, much better on 97-99ron though.

The VF kit came with red injectors too but again no info from them on size or make.

I've been trying to find someone who'll map it for me but so far only 1 place have said they can do it, but it's about £800 :0

Yeah I've tried BP ultimate and Tesco 99, it's a bit better on the BP but any det with boost makes me nervous. 

I got the part number off the injector boxes if you still have any of them? See if you can find out online? I'd be wary of trying this map with different flow rate injectors. Did you have to use spacers to mount the rail?

Bad of VF to not help you out after you've spent 4 grand with them isn't it? I hope ESS get back to me..