govich

330Ci ... gone :(

The M52 manifolds went on this week and the lower bit of the M54 manifolds cut and mated up, it sounds great with the same tone but just louder, like I hoped, and seems to pull hard! Will go on the dyno again next week to check it's all happy at full throttle. Keeping all the O2 sensors has gotten rid of the 'cat efficiency low' CEL, as I suspected it seems that was due to fouling the primary cats.

The ECU has some learning to do though, it's now grumpy at idle and part throttle from running too rich (I've had a 'bank 1 too rich' CEL), I'm hoping the adaptations will take care of it. An emissions test measured 4.5% CO (MOT limit 0.2%) so there's a bit of work to do on the cal at low load potentially.

Edited by govich

Cheers mate, I've emailed ESS to see if they have a map for installs with upgraded exhausts and I'm thinking I may re-flash the ECU to reset the adaptations tomorrow and see if that improves it. It stutters a bit at part throttle, feels like it's just over-fuelling.

The sound is so much raspier and angrier though, love it! Forget 28-30 mpg :lol:B)

The ESS guys are saying the O2 sensor corrections will be all over the place with the new headers, makes sense as it runs fine under lots of throttle where the O2 sensor isn't correcting but i'm still puzzled why yours runs OK. Did you have the primary cats before you changed headers? Maybe VF turned the O2 sensor corrections off in your tune? It's either that or they spent lots of time on the O2 maps.

I'm going to try unplugging them to see if it runs smoother.

Regarding the sound, I'm going to try set up my external mic and gopro to capture it!

Yeah the guys had the M54 headers off to chop them and mate them to the M52 headers, so the pre and post cat O2 sensors were all out.

I'm getting O2 heater circuit codes on all 4 sensors now, I've just looked up the pre- and post-cat sensors and they are different part numbers so I guess they've been physically fitted the wrong way around & the ECU doesn't like the voltages it's seeing in response. To get it running smoothly AND not flag heater circuit codes & CEL every startup, they need to be physically swapped around in the piping & then I need to restore the wiring to how it was. Just another day in a modded car but I wouldn't give it up :D

In other news, reflecting after a long drive, the throttle response feels much sharper, it picks up more quickly & 6th is a true motorway gear rather than just overdrive. I also had the TC light start flashing at the top of 2nd gear on an onramp (55+ mph with 255 rears) for the first time.

Edit; power runs to come on Wednesday B)

Edited by govich

Here's the dyno run plotted with the pre-headers 306.5 run. Just how it feels on the street - stronger everywhere and great top end :lol: it can just about get this power down in 2nd gear so I think I've reached the limit of this chassis as a street car without changing something.

Dyno2_zpsiixzdxvg.jpg

And in the spirit of the photo zone, here's the car after a full drivers' side respray to get rid of some rust spots B)

Car1111_zpsjerty6jk.jpg

Fantastic, I was very pleased with how mine felt after the headers too, that's just about M3 power really, if you factor in the torque figures of the 2 cars.

I'm aiming for 350hp once I get the pulley and new map on, any more would be a bonus, not sure if the charge cooler will increase power, but it certainly makes it consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know which one I'd have my money on in terms of being real-world fast.

Agreed on your cooler - that's all about being able to make the same power in the middle of summer. A bit more boost and a remap should see you to 340 at least. I'm done with the engine for now but if I ever need to do the VANOS seals, a nice set of SC cams just might find their way in & with a retune there's my 350bhp. ^_^

RMJ - tempting but it gets off the line surprisingly well with 255-wide Michelin PS4s. 1st is a scramble for grip but it mostly hooks up in 2nd. I'm impressed, I've had modified cars with this power refuse to put it down in either of the first 2 gears.

By the way, I found my AFRs were increased by about 1 point, from roughly 10:1 to 11:1 across most of the rev range, so I suspect I might see improved fuel economy.

That's with 0 correction, not that it matters but comparing figures is extremely difficult, too many varying factors, unless the cars in question are on the same dyno on the same day.

Boost and AFR's are the only important readings, the rest is just a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't trying to compare I was just saying that, that's what my car made at 10psi with a quick tune on the Dyno on a completely stock engine with cats ect there's easily more in it, it was a rush job as I was going to Caldwell Park the day after. I think with tubular manifolds and full exhaust system and a little more boost it will make close to 400hp quite easy. But I'm then limited by my supercharger over spinning 

I'm getting 0.6 bar boost peak at redline, so just under 9psi. You had a very favourable set of conditions (low RH, low IT, high ambient pressure) to get 358, that's why it's corrected down to 348 at standard conditions, although DIN 70020 is a withdrawn '70s standard and no-one should be using it...

I won't get into the happy dyno argument, if you're happy with the car that's all that matters. I wouldn't expect 400 hp to come easily, good luck & keep us updated.

Edit: Just noticed AA claim 365hp for their kit at 8psi, which made me want to dig deeper.

Looking at the Rotrex C38-71 (AA kit) compressor map in comparison to the Vortech V3Si (ESS kit), they're both at about 75% efficiency at this boost level across a broad island. The Rotrex charger has an internal ratio of 7.5:1 vs. the Vortech at 3.6:1 so spins a lot faster & in general that means it'll be less mechanically efficient.

All else the same,they should make about the same power on a dyno, but ESS claim much less. Easy to write a number on a web site I guess. Did the place that dynoed it also sell you the kit?

Edited by govich

On 10/02/2017 at 12:52, RMJ said:

Hows this build going mate? any updates this year? :)

I've just finished furnishing a new flat so nothing major on the car thus far! I'm up to 8000 odd miles with the supercharger with no engine issues at all. After the front cat removal it's using a bit more fuel (25-27 mpg) which I'm now convinced isn't down to my driving, so a custom tune may be in order.

I've got Meyle front lower arms, a new rear tail light (a few LEDs out on the old one) and engine oil/filter waiting for a sunny weekend.

I built the kit for my car with lots of random things from work odd parts we had floating around the supercharger is actually a c3094 so smaller than the one you have quoted. The whole conversion has cost me just under £700. I work at the the tuner above so our mapper mapped the car for me. I'm quite happy with how the car performs it is noticeably quicker than an m3 and stays with a e92 m3 the car does weigh a lot less though at 1200kg. I'm just impressed with what it has done on a completely stock engine literally nothing has been changed. When I find some time I'm going to build an engine for it our engineer think there's some power to be had in the head and inlet tract some tubular manifolds ect ect. It only a matter of time before the oil pump throws a wobbly as that's the common fault so I might as well be prepared. 

21 hours ago, scottycsx said:

I built the kit for my car with lots of random things from work odd parts we had floating around the supercharger is actually a c3094 so smaller than the one you have quoted. The whole conversion has cost me just under £700. I work at the the tuner above so our mapper mapped the car for me. I'm quite happy with how the car performs it is noticeably quicker than an m3 and stays with a e92 m3 the car does weigh a lot less though at 1200kg. I'm just impressed with what it has done on a completely stock engine literally nothing has been changed. When I find some time I'm going to build an engine for it our engineer think there's some power to be had in the head and inlet tract some tubular manifolds ect ect. It only a matter of time before the oil pump throws a wobbly as that's the common fault so I might as well be prepared. 

Impressive stuff. Have you got any pics? Interested in doing this myself and would be grateful for any further details. Have done plenty of engine builds and fabrication, so not fazed by such a project.

Fair enough mate! Definitely start a thread and keep us updated. There is a lot of good info online about porting, the exhaust ports in the head are fairly restrictive & a good set of reprofiled cams will work wonders. Do you have a build thread? If not, get one up! Keen to see how you got it down to 1200 kg.