MICK 330

Help! 330d died on me tonight

Hi Gents,

Tonight guy`s the 330d(manual) kinda coughed then within seconds just died. As i was getting on the M40 lol!

The glow plug light came on first.After it coughed.

The engine was still running...but....would not rev....but the laughometer still moved with the throttle movement.

Then it died..battery oil light came on as usual.

Now as i owned a quality Mercedes for 12 years ive learned to chill. Spark up a smoko count to 10 (Yes sir they ALL do this your Mercedes is fine) then turn the key. On the 3rd attempt she fired up! Yippeeeeee(AAcard returned to wallet).

She then drove beautifully with not a hiccup 78 miles home!!!!

Now i have bought BM Cables thingy but its proving a bitch to install TIS. So thats not up n running yet...but still trying.

Any how.....Anyone ever heard of this joker happening??

Just to add it runs on the good stuff & the diesel filter is 600 mile old.

Any thoughts.....

This update may help some one out there on the above,

Aug 2015 this little problem reared its head. I took the car to 2 garages who read codes etc but could not trace why the car dies....but then re starts & runs fine for hundreds/1,000`s of miles.

Well today the little bugga did it again coming back from Wales sweet as then.... Glow plug light on , engine still running but throttle does not make the engine rev! 200yds she dies. So count to ten & turn the key. Turns but wont fire (wife is now talking of scrapping it etc...you can imagine ...or maybe you married her sister...knows everything...maiden name Google etc). Try again & just to shut her up it fires & drives home 30 mile no worries!

I have not had this problem(with the car) for 20,000 miles & all I did last time was fit a new Diesel filter as I must have crap in the tank . Its the only thing that probably doesn't show up on the codes!?

One to remember chaps. Hope it helps one of you one day!

Didn't see this post until today, I would've suggested something to do with fuel supply from the sounds of it and to replace filter and maybe the pump under the passenger seat.

Glad it's sorted!

ive replaced fuel filter 4 times in 4 years on my 330d,its only £13 so its a no brainer.

Supermarket fuel is fine (generally). There's been lots of reports of Morrisons diesel being bad though as they seem to get it from a different supplier or something. I never use that stuff.

Always Asda, Sainsbury's or Shell V Power diesel (every few tanks, as it has injector cleaner in it).

9/10 times its filled with the good stuff! You just cant help whats in the bottom of the tank & if it looks anything like my front wings....its a wonder it runs lol