LiamGTR

Can I go lower but stay OEM?

Clubsport springs are identical to normal sport springs.

I assume you want to be able to advertise as 100% OEM because you don't want a limited audience when you come to get rid.

Odds are you won't be limiting your audience too much if you lower it sensibly (i.e. don't slam it on cheap coilovers)

The other option is of course just to keep the old stuff and put on before selling.

Mine is going to be sitting on Eibach Pro's and Bilstein struts. I think when I come to sell the majority of potential buyers will see that as a positive as its an expensive kit and they are an OE manufacturer.

You can write whatever you want in the ad too - I imagine if its not sitting on the bump stops the average person looking to buy isn't going to know its not standard.

Edited by ben.embrey

It's a bit like saying "can I not look fat but still weigh 24 stone?" Never going to happen.

This randomly popped into my head in the gym a few hours ago.

What if you were 24 stone of pure muscle? Wouldn't be fat then and would still weigh 24 stone?

It's a bit like saying "can I not look fat but still weigh 24 stone?" Never going to happen.

What if you were 24 stone of pure muscle? Wouldn't be fat then and would still weigh 24 stone?

hahahah! You make a very good argument.

Although you'll still be 'fat' in out right size.

For example, if you have to sit next to me on a plane I'm going to complain that you should have booked two seats instead of one!

hahahah! You make a very good argument.

Although you'll still be 'fat' in out right size.

For example, if you have to sit next to me on a plane I'm going to complain that you should have booked two seats instead of one!

Hah :P Just trying to be awkward really haha, I get what you're saying though :) Edited by LiamGTR

Don't bother. It's a good height that's already low and hard enough to get a jack under.

alright Granddad :lol:

Going back to the original post - I would walk away from a lowered car and I WOULD notice.

I've modified and bough modified cars and it causes nothing but grief.

Don't bother. It's a good height that's already low and hard enough to get a jack under.

Going back to the original post - I would walk away from a lowered car and I WOULD notice.

Oh well , I sold my 330ci on tuesday night to a gent who was 65, i think the 10k plus worth of receipts inspired him to make the purchase, knowing the suspesion can be raised by anyone with a bit of common sense.

Oh well , I sold my 330ci on tuesday night to a gent who was 65, i think the 10k plus worth of receipts inspired him to make the purchase, knowing the suspesion can be raised by anyone with a bit of common sense.

The problem I've found over the years is parts wear out. OEM parts legally have to be made for at least 15 years after production of the vehicle ceases.

There is no such requirements from after market companies.

The problems I have had;

Burst coilover - couldnt repair or replace it. Had to buy a whole set.

Bent wheel. As above.

Snapped exhaust - couldn't source just the section of the pipe that that snapped - whole system to replace.

It's not just performance and mechanical parts either. I bought a car with aftermarket head unit and the previous owner bastardised the wiring to such a degree I had to pay some one £100 to fix it. I know thats less common on more modern ISO cars but this was a 1992 vehicle, not a 1962 vehicle.

Even styling parts - buy some nice aftermarket headlights and crack one. Good luck one light or one component for it. The list of pitfalls for non OEM parts is scary.

thats half the fun though, fixing things, leaving stuff standard is all well & Good on a new bmw, but on a 13-14 year old e46 worth peanuts i personally couldnt give a toss if anything went wrong with it, i have the mechanical knowlege & ability to fix most things & have contacts for cheap parts, but can understand why people leave them standard too. Its all a risk, wheres the fun in taking no risks ;)

thats half the fun though, fixing things, leaving stuff standard is all well & Good on a new bmw, but on a 13-14 year old e46 worth peanuts i personally couldnt give a toss if anything went wrong with it, i have the mechanical knowlege & ability to fix most things & have contacts for cheap parts, but can understand why people leave them standard too. Its all a risk, wheres the fun in taking no risks ;)

It's not fun having to buy 4 shocks, top mounts and springs instead of one shock I can assure you. Nor is it buying 4 wheels instead of one.

The problem I've found over the years is parts wear out. OEM parts legally have to be made for at least 15 years after production of the vehicle ceases.

There is no such requirements from after market companies.

To my understanding, there are requirements very similar and a decent after market manufacturer will abide by them too! If you buy a early E46.... that means there is only a few years (if that) left on those 15 years you talk about (not sure what "legally have to be made for at least 15 years" actually means though?).

So the flip side is, buying an after market part with a 3 year warranty to replace a 13 year old part on a 13 year old E46 is surely not a bad thing?

The problems I have had;

Burst coilover - couldnt repair or replace it. Had to buy a whole set.

Bent wheel. As above.

Snapped exhaust - couldn't source just the section of the pipe that that snapped - whole system to replace.

Just sounds like you've had a really bad run to me which has clouded your judgement on parts etc.