shaanaleem92

Black smoke

so ive just got a new car, being 320d se ... and upon hard accerleration but not always there is quite a bit of smoke (black) . sometimes its only a little bit...

i know black smoke is unburnt fuel ... but i was wondering if this is an issue to be concerned about and whether or not it will pass its MOT next month...

also i have been told by previous owner that it has been re-mapped..could this cause the black smoke?

what can i do to get rid of the smoke? or reduce it at least, since all diesels smoke a bit.

Could be a bad map or a slight boost leak. Either of those should be fine for an MOT but depends on how much smoke you're talking.

is a boost leak hard to fix?

smoke can be seen in my rear view mirror if i really give it some. driving normally tho you wouldn't notice unless someone following behind can see it.

Shouldn't be, it can only really leak out of two or three places.

Boost pipes are the most common and most easily diagnosed; the exterior of the pipe will be wet from all the oil.

Intercooler or joins to it may be leaking, again oil is the telltale sign.

Inlet manifold leaks, these would be harder to tell given that all the possible places are underneath but again oil is the symptom.

Unless it's hideous amounts of smoke - pop a boost pipe off & go for a drive to see what I mean - it may just be a byproduct of the map, although I did experience a lot less smoke when I disabled my EGR valve.

This is a completely failed boost pipe:

WP_20150726_20_13_02_Pro%20Medium.jpeg

smoke.png

You can really tell that it's gone as the performance is shocking, but the engine noise is amazing!

I got through the MOT fine after wrapping it in duct tape (it was a running repair while the car was in Russia, and I didn't want to buy a proper pipe until I knew it's MOT fate...)

WP_20150726_20_21_12_Pro%20Medium.jpeg

Thanks for all that detailed info :) we'll definitely get round to having a look at it.

I can't really tell what is bad performance, as i don't know how it would perform. To me it performs amazingly... and it's so quiet and smooth to drive... compared to a Honda civic i had when I was 19... been without a car since.

Thanks again for the info...i just want to get it through MOT without major problems, then I can think of cosmetically improving my car.

so ive just got a new car, being 320d se ... and upon hard accerleration but not always there is quite a bit of smoke (black) . sometimes its only a little bit...

i know black smoke is unburnt fuel ... but i was wondering if this is an issue to be concerned about and whether or not it will pass its MOT next month...

also i have been told by previous owner that it has been re-mapped..could this cause the black smoke?

what can i do to get rid of the smoke? or reduce it at least, since all diesels smoke a bit.

Particle Filter.

Oh should update really...

Fixed it...

Was a split boost pipe, new one fitted... no smoke now... or that i can see anyways...

Used egr cleaner in the air intake... helped clean inlet values etc...

Also took the egr off which was full of black stuff... took a while to clean that... put everything back together... runs better smoother and no smoke :)

Particle Filter.

Got an error code about this I think... where is this located?

Update time...

so i had a split pipe which i temporary fixed with tape...then got a new one for 30 quid off ebay which fixed the black smoke.

Nrw9o9y.jpg

9KEtuQS.jpg

dont have a picture of the new pipe...nothing to see reallly just a rubber pipe with no splits lol

the picture below shows the oil splatterd on the engine cover...from the split pipe.

WFyzLUJ.jpg

Glad you got it sorted. With my old Focus diesel, on the way to the MOT place is rant the hell out of it for 10 minutes to clear all the soot out of the exhaust system which definitely helped it pass emissions:)

i thought diesels dont have an emissions test?

but yeah i did trash it about as well to help clear some of the old build up...

i also used egr cleaner spray in the air intake which helps clean the insides.

also took off the egr vavle and removed all the black soot.

so everything i did helped contribute to getting rid of the black smoke.

Im happy to say i passed my MOT on thursday...so im good for 13 months now:) chuffed :)

Particle Filter.

I seriously doubt it.......E46 don't have DPF.

I enjoyed your black smoke pic TriggerFish, perhaps create a smoke trailing BMW formation display team.

Is it normal to see smoke in headlights behind you at night if you put your foot down, but see none in the day behind you?

Normal enough yes, even seeing a little during the day on full chat isn't unreasonable.

smoke test,not emissions for diesels,and i see a little smoke in cars headlights behind,hardly any though

I only see smoke when i really give it some.... when i get it however was a completely different story

Ditto, I can't see any during normal acceleration, but am reassured it's fairly normal to see if you give it some beans.