momo

How do you take payment a for cars?

Yep, that's the thing that got me worried!

Even though you shouldn't be able to - someone can set up a direct debit from just those bits of info.

This is an average form:

PRA%20Direct%20Debit%20Mandate.png

So all you need really is the persons name, account number and sort code. The other person will have your name/address from coming to view the vehicle. So all they need is the account number and sort code. Hey-presto DD set up!

I know it's very rare something like that might happen but that's the kind of thing that scares me.. lol

EDIT: Just realised that address is for the bank! Not your own address! That's even easier FFS!!

Edited by momo

Even though you shouldn't be able to - someone can set up a direct debit from just those bits of info.

This is an average form:

So all you need really is the persons name, account number and sort code. The other person will have your name/address from coming to view the vehicle. So all they need is the account number and sort code. Hey-presto DD set up!

I know it's very rare something like that might happen but that's the kind of thing that scares me.. lol

EDIT: Just realised that address is for the bank! Not your own address! That's even easier FFS!!

Banks check the signature held on record against the form, if it differs the DD isn't processed, even if it does slip through you can cancel it straight away and recover any lost funds when proven that the form was not completed by the account holder.

This is an average form:

Banks check the signature held on record against the form, if it differs the DD isn't processed, even if it does slip through you can cancel it straight away and recover any lost funds when proven that the form was not completed by the account holder.

You don't even have to prove the form wasn't completed by you. All UK Direct Debits are covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee which means you can cancel at any time and request a full refund of the payment, no questions asked.

The trust issue works both ways though.

Its daunting going to view a car and leaving a cash deposit. When I handed some stranger £500 against my old 330, I did start questioning and start all the "what if's??" in my head.

Gets even worse when you get home and do the bank transfer before going back to collect the car.

But then when I sold the 330 - roles were reversed, and had to ask someone to trust me, like I'd done to the previous owner.

Luckily internet banking and accessibility through smart phones etc has changed all that.

With the 540 and the M3, I sat at each of the guys PC's, they watched me do the transfer, they confirmed it had hit their account, took the keys and off I went.

With the 540 and the M3, I sat at each of the guys PC's, they watched me do the transfer, they confirmed it had hit their account, took the keys and off I went.

Did the guy's PC have a keystroke logger?

£500? :o

I'd never leave that for any car! lol.

I remember one car I bought they wanted something similar. I threatened to walk away so they dropped it to my usual £100. lol.

My bro bought a £6k car for his wife a couple of years back and managed to secure it with £0 deposit. lol

RE: Using another persons PC - as I work in IT myself - HEYALL NO!! I would only ever use my own equipment. But as you say most people now have bank access on their smartphones so no longer an issue really. I'd never even use their WiFi..