kirkynut

Kirkynut's own E46

Sorry to Hijack thread but what's difference between Sportline and Proline Eibachs? And costs? Etc

The amount they drop the car. Look on Eibach's website.

Kirkynut

Great thanks Guys. Just fitted the FK coilovers but not sure can live with them! So may go to Eibachs and Bilsteins!

You can pay the same price or better from a German reputable seller. I just bought my H&R cupkit on eBay from Germany (23,000 positive feedback points) and it was £150 cheaper than the UK and arrived in three days. Is really dodgy buying from overseas, Ja?

I'm sure there are some great cheap foreign suppliers but there's nothing like supporting your own country's economy though eh? Both us and ze Germans will get a slice of the pie from my transaction!

Kirkynut

I've been having an issue with the warning lamps on the dash coming on to tell me that I have a rear bulb blown on the off side and once last night on the nearside but I have no bulbs out. I thought it might be a bulb on the way out but then read this thread kindly linked by Bert recently - http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/25287-rear-light-cluster-warning-lights/ and originally posed by Nodderdog in 2011!

So I went out to the car this afternoon and fixed it:

One melted plug from the offside

20151007_171505_zpsbtue9fda.jpg

The connector that is all burnt up, which fell out of the plug

IMG_6843_zps6mlcwq03.jpg

The earth wire simply cut and attached to the earth on the circuit board by way of crimp connectors as it was 'orribe out there so I didn't want to mess about with soldering.

20151007_170342_zpsripkf38n.jpg

I didn't muck about with splicing it into the wire from the plug and did it the same way as Bert as I couldn't see the point. You are just connecting it to the same part of the circuit board that the pin on the plug goes to anyway!

Now it's no good that BMW didn't use wire and a plug that is man enough for the job but at least they left that tab on the circuit board for a spade connector to push onto.

Kirkynut

So now all the maintenance has been done the fun has begun! New wheels and tyres on and wheels waxed!

IMG_6844_zps9ralo8gd.jpg

IMG_6848_zpstqjxjcdp.jpg

IMG_6856_zps0d5k1xhs.jpg

IMG_6850_zpsehihn8xp.jpg

These photos were done very quickly with little thought or consideration put into them as I have run out of time in the day!

The wheels are DARE CH Motorsports and I have added the centre caps - whether you agree with them or not with the wheels not being BBS I don't know but I like them so have put them on!

It will look 100% better when dropped on Eibach Pro's so I can't wait to get them on now!

Kirkynut

Hey.. they look great..!!

Definitely needs the drop... can't wait for the finished photos..

Cheers chaps. I'll post some decent pictures once it's been lowered as no point doing anything proper until it's lowered. The springs have arrived, it's just finding the time and for my mechanic to be free to fit them as I can't be arsed!

Kirkynut

Will good once dropped. Nice choice on the wheels, (even if they are reps). :P

How come here no one complains about BBS badges on DARE wheels and on my thread everyone went mad?

Lex they're BBS CH reps so it's acceptable to put BBS badges on. If he'd put the badges on MV2s a flame suit would be needed...like you had :P

The springs are on, the insurance company has been updated, no increase in premium as I told them of my plans from the outset but no time for photos I'm afraid!

I'm working the next 6 days so will look to get some decent photos when I'm off next. I might fit some in before but don't hold your breath!

I've also got a new head unit surround to replace the ill fitting one I currently have and a second hand centre vent to replace the broken one that the car came with.

Kirkynut

Lex they're BBS CH reps so it's acceptable to put BBS badges on. If he'd put the badges on MV2s a flame suit would be needed...like you had :P

Dare made BBS CH reps, also same company Dare made my BBS RS reps, I had BBS badges on RS reps and people start moaning that they're s**t reps and etc.

Basically my wheels and the ones above are from the same factory, both reps of BBS.

Anyway, nice car Kirkynut, sorry for this bit of off-topic.

This afternoon I have fitted the new centre air vents that I got for £12 delivered on eBay, removed my head unit and refitted it so that the cage doesn't show and fitted the microphone for the Bluetooth Phone connection that I found in the box after I had fitted it the first time round! Doh!

I had found that the original surround for the head unit that I got with the leads in a kit got pulled in when I did the screw up in the top left hand corner, revealing the cage. It is very flimsy and I could not get the cage to grip it any better as the tabs you bend over would not bend over close enough to the top corners due to the surround plastic not being thick enough.

I bought another surround from Halfords, made by Audioleads. It was no different, so money wasted there. The solution was to pack the surround out behind the screw so it cannot get pulled in as much. I rolled up some electrical tape to use as packing as I could make it as big as I wanted and it is a little sprung against the screw to stop the screw undoing its self and creating a vibration. This seems to have worked a treat as the surround doesn't get pulled as much and the cage cannot be seen. It looks right now.

I also took the dealer sticker out of the rear screen and have put new wiper blades on.

So now the car is just how I'd like it, save a couple of scratches I'll not worry too much about for now.

In summary it is a 2003 320i SE Automatic saloon on 73k miles in solid black with black leather, dark wood interior trim, power-fold mirrors and electric lumber support in the heated front seats. It has Mtech 1 bumpers.

The extras / mods / new parts on it now are:

• New rear o/s wheel bearing, fitted by the dealer before he sold it to me
  • New rear discs and pads, fitted by the dealer before he sold it to me
  • New lights all round, fitted by the previous owner
  • New auxiliary belts, fitted by the previous owner
  • New valve cover gasket, fitted by the previous owner
  • New Dare CH Motorsport wheels - 8.0 x 18" ET35, square set up with 225/40/18 AVON ZZR tyres and BBS Centre Caps (like them or not)
  • Sony Bluetooth Headunit fitted by myself with DAB using DAB aerial fitted by previous owner
  • Eibach Pro lowering Springs on standard shocks
  • Second hand replacement centre vents due to old ones being broken by previous owner
  • Oil change with new filter by myself
  • New Air Filter by myself
  • Rear lights earth mod by myself
  • New BMW badges by the previous owner

The electric windows all work fine with no motor or regulator issues and the Aircon works fine with no issues with the Hedgehog! The viscous fan seems to be good too.

I do not plan to do anything else to it now other than minor visual mods. One small mod I was considering was to get some more wood trim and have it painted in metallic burgundy with alot of lacquer and polished up nicely. My fear is that it would get scratched or chipped and I will get upset over it, whereas the wood trim is relatively hard to damage.

I have considered having some wood trim hydro dipped but I don't like any patterns I've seen and those I have seen have all been done before and are not original or individual. They have the potential to look tacky.

I am aiming for a classy yet sporty look. It's only a 320i but it's plenty fast enough for me. I was going too fast too often in my MK6 Fiesta ST and this quiet, civilised auto 6 pot is making me want to woft around more than speed around. I still look down to see I am doing 40 in a 30 too often mind!

Having said that, stick it in Manual mode and it can still move along. Not as quick as a 325 or 330 granted.

So all in all I am happy with my E46 purchase and the mods I have done. I have had a itch to have my own E46 for some time and now I have it and just how I want it.

When I get time to give it a wash and it is not raining I shall do a photo shoot. In fact you will likely not see any updates but probably photos periodically as I like to play with my DSLR and practise on my car.

Kirkynut

Edited by kirkynut

I managed to get out with my car and camera today, despite it raining and being generally grey and dull.

IMG_7055_zps69tvesdj.jpg

15_zpseyxbslqd.jpg

10_zps70tc4kdc.jpg

IMG_7039_zpsol0kuii0.jpg

6_zpsldwbaizl.jpg

1_zpstv9ani28.jpg

IMG_6993_zpsrar42xnt.jpg

2_zpsir9nd6uy.jpg

IMG_6881_zpswea1ol9b.jpg

5_zpsybpuqbfw.jpg

7_zpsbspy9ux3.jpg

Here's my interior with the new head unit and the centre vents replaced

8_zpsmfd6mvjq.jpg

I'm happy with it.

Those number plates will have to be changed though as they are 'orrible!

Kirkynut

Edited by kirkynut

Excellent car dude I have the same interior spec as yours except you have heated leather and leccy adjustment. Im also not bothered by sports seats as these have fairly deep side bolsters as you can see in mine below and they seem to hold you quite well. I am also enjoying the autobox and not missing a manual although this is my second auto.That six cylinder is super smooth and wafty though isnt it.

I must say your car is looking superb on those wheels gives the car the classy but sporty look. Im interested in the head unit you just fitted as mine has CD prep but no CD player so I may get a changer or do what you have done. Any more pics showing the new head unit in place ?

15qyaur.jpg

Thanks for the comments chaps!

macP, I will take some photos of the head unit when I get the opportunity. I've had a terrible last 4 days or so. I got injured at work and had to take some pretty strong antibiotics. Well they ruined me (inside anyway) after taking just 2 tablets and I'm only just recovering now! 

I cleaned out my rear arches when washing it last as there was a load of mud in them:

IMG_6872_zpsd3a574ru.jpg

I would urge everyone to get their hand up inside the lip of their rear arches with a hosepipe and give them a good clean out! We all know they rust and the moisture that mud retains is a reason for it!

Kirkynut

Just had a read through this and your cat is looking nice, wheels look really good, but I would like to see your first choice on it. The paint and shine looks great to.

What do you mean by my first choice? I suggested a few in the end! 

Personally I don't think anything else would suit it more than what's on it now. I'm made up with my wheel choice. 

I'd have liked it to have been a little lower but would not have liked the ride or the issues created. Even at this height something scraped slightly the other day when I came down off a curb. 

Kirkynut