negev

Warming her up in the morning

It's not recommended to warm a car up. Just drive off gently and keep it that way for 5-10 mins (unfortunately there's no oil temp display on our cars...)

Driving off will raise the oil pressure and warms the engine up faster. Also driving can put less stress on the engine than running at idle as the components are being moved via the cars forward momentum rather than just the firing cylinders.

Edited by Ged

There's no point in waiting, in fact, it's not recommended. Just drive off gently and keep it that way for 5-10 mins (unfortunately there's no oil temp display on our cars...)

Driving off will raise the oil pressure and warms the engine up faster. Also driving actually put less stress on the engine than running at idle as the components are being moved via the cars forward momentum rather than just the firing cylinders.

Right, but my point is, if the windscreen is misty it's not safe to move off because the windscreen is misty.. hence my question about whether it's safe to warm it up a bit by revving it gently.

Well it's safe as in you're not going to damage anything, but you will put fractionally more wear on the engine than just driving off. Whether that leads to a noticeably shorter engine life is up for debate.

I'd just stick the windscreen blower on full, wipe my screen with a screen cloth and drive off.

unfortunately there's no oil temp display on our cars...

You can have it displayed on your dash if you want it mate.

• 1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
  • 2. OBC should show "Test"
  • 3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
  • 3. Wait for display to show "Off"
  • 4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
  • 5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select function 7.0

Don't you have to do that every time though?

It'd be nice if you could turn it on permanently and have it on the stalk.

I have an android unit running Torque Pro for this stuff, but I don't keep my OBD dongle plugged in so it's kinda useless for every day stuff.

unfortunately there's no oil temp display on our cars...

You can have it displayed on your dash if you want it mate.

• 1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
  • 2. OBC should show "Test"
  • 3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
  • 3. Wait for display to show "Off"
  • 4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
  • 5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select function 7.0

That's coolant temp, not oil :(

Still useful to know though, as the gauge doesn't accurately reflect temperatures

Simply purchase an ///M to avoid nailing it when it's cold, as it has a oil temp gauge

And the increased running costs will be offset by not adding extra wear to the engine by driving hard when it's still cold, right?

Simply purchase an ///M to avoid nailing it when it's cold, as it has a oil temp gauge

And the increased running costs will be offset by not adding extra wear to the engine by driving hard when it's still cold, right?

You got it.

Edited by Sam

For someone who drives several different company cars people wiping their windscreen with their hands is common but annoying. There is a treatment you can use on the window to stop it misting up, problem is when its really cold it creates frozen water droplets inside which are a pain in the ass!

Is it bad for the engine to hold the revs at 1500rpm until it warms up a bit? I often can't see well out the windscreen until there's a bit of heat on it.

says in the handbook ,not to warm up by idling,as said drive normally until up to temp,think its to do with oil displacement ie does not get around quicklyb enoough on idle as oil is thicker when cold and driving warms it up quicker

Edited by rasa

wipe my screen with a screen cloth and drive off.

Wipe it with a cloth ? Wash your mouth out :lol:

Nothing worse that a filthy windscreen.

Where's the dirt coming from??

I don't really have a misting problem, but if I did I'd use clean cloths to wipe it with :)

You seem to get a natural grease on glass that builds up and whilst it's not a problem for a while when un touched it becomes a mess when smeared about with a cloth.

It gets too much on its own sooner or later and the sun makes it hard to see through.

There's no science to this claim of mine. I think they just call it a dirty windscreen!

Kirkynut

Nothing worse that a filthy windscreen.

The Holocaust?

I laughed far harder than I should have done at this :lol:

Same here, got some funny looks from the GF.

Shame the e46 didn't come with a Webasto heater as an option as per the 5 and 7 series. Just press a button on the remote as soon as you wake up and by the time you get out to your car the engine block is warm and misty screens aren't a problem.

Rain X on the inside of the screen is a good solution. Tends to stop it misting up as easily.