Sign in to follow this  
dontpannic

These E46 Android nav units...

Hi guys.

I'm looking at one of these Android head units for the E46 - Dynavin/Eonon style faceplates but with Android instead.

Anyone using one of these? What's the audio like? I won't be running an external amp (just plugged directly into the Harman Kardon system). I'm hoping for better than the BMW Professional CD units, but not quite as good as the aftermarket Alpine unit I have at the moment - would I be right in thinking that?

Cheers!

Hi,

This topic has been done many many times over all the BMW forums. The general consensus is that you 'might' get a fully working unit out of the box which crucially stays working long term as some owners report, or you 'might' get one with issues out of the box and / or might develop issues over time.

The guys who have working units will say get one.. the guys who've had issues and problems will say don't get one.

Everything about them is low grade, low reliability/consistency, very little to no after sales care/support. The audio is marginally better than oem and only because they use a high power output internal amplifier which is still 'generic'.

So, really it comes down to how lucky you are feeling and if, you do get a unit with issues if you don't mind putting up with them or if they'd drive you crazy and you don't mind losing the money you've spent.

Good luck if you do decide to go for the gamble !

Cheers, Dennis!

As above. This topic has been discussed plenty of times.

Might be worth finding the post I made earlier this year.. Which is followed by a 3-4 month update after I got the unit to showcase what I thought of it.

Everything has been good and decent for me.. Except the audio quality. More details in my post.. I'll try and find it and post a link

Via Mobile Telecommunications Device

Naj, I've had your post saved in my browser for a few weeks as I found it very useful for future reference - i plan to order the Erisin shortly. What was your final thought on the sound quality over the Business head unit? I have standard speakers for now but would possibly upgrade to Rainbows if necessary. Also, I'm not sure I would be fitting an amp. Thanks in advance!

Naj, I've had your post saved in my browser for a few weeks as I found it very useful for future reference - i plan to order the Erisin shortly. What was your final thought on the sound quality over the Business head unit? I have standard speakers for now but would possibly upgrade to Rainbows if necessary. Also, I'm not sure I would be fitting an amp. Thanks in advance!

:)

I'm afraid I can't give you an accurate answer to that. I had the business radio for the matter of days and then went to a mid range Pioneer deck... Then amped the standard speakers... Then changed the front speakers Altogether.

It was at that point when I fitted the Erisin unit, in comparison to the Pioneer the sound quality of the Erisin had no legs to stand on - but we all know this, Dennis has told us this enough lol

However for some odd reason (with no weight to my statement) I can't imagine the Business radio with the same set up keep up with the quality of the Erisin.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I never added to that thread, but nearly 6-7months on, I still have no regrets about buying this Headunit and I still recommend it to everyone. (Unless you're chasing serious SQ.)

Via Mobile Telecommunications Device