StuBeeDoo

OEM-spec brake pad recommendations, please.

Worst thing about ebc yellows is there really hard on disks

Usually you get two sets of normal pads to a set of disks but with ebc yellows it's almost a set of disks per set of pads

ive got pagid on front discs and pads,

Have you noticed that you get a sticky residue outline of the pads on the discs?

I'm currently on Meyle Platinun pads and discs all round

How about you, Suf? Do you get a sticky residue pad outline left by your Meyle pads?

I have noticed this sticky residue from day one with my current Pagids. It builds-up around the edges of the pads themselves as well :o (more around the leading-edge, but also the trailing-edge). On the pads it's the consistency of half-dry Dulux gloss paint. I once tried cleaning it with aerosol brake cleaner but it wouldn't budge. The only time I've ever parked-up and it hasn't been on the discs was a day when we'd traversed several Cumbrian passes (including Hardknott and Wrynose in both directions) and I guess I had burnt it off. That was also one of the few times I haven't had a very slight judder which has been there even from new - so I assume it's this sticky stuff that causes this judder. I suppose I could live with the rust on the discs, but I'm getting sick of the "tickle" through the steering wheel and brake pedal. Hence my determination not to use any more TMD products.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

Can't say I notice a sticky residue, but I've never gone out to look! Will check tomorrow.

Forgot to say, haven't had an MOT with them yet, will be doing so fairly soon ....

I hadn't realised until I checked a few minutes ago, but my fronts have done 18mth/20k mls and the rears 12mth/13k mls.

Can't say I notice a sticky residue, but I've never gone out to look! Will check tomorrow.

That's promising, then. :)

the only time I've ever had this before was when I had Mintex on the E30

In fact, the reason I went for Pagid for the E46 was that when I had them on the E30 they were faultless. When I scrapped the E30 it had been parked-up for over 2 months, Oct-Dec, and the discs were still shiny.

I have Pagid discs front and rear and haven't had any issues with them going rusty after washing the car, my previous discs(unknown make) used to go red rusty and took a few miles to clean up!

Forgot to say, haven't had an MOT with them yet, will be doing so fairly soon ....

me either,will do a check if i remember,mr rear discs and pads will need changing soon.my brakes are crap when braking from silly speeds,ie had a play with a fireblade,empty roads,the fireblade pulled alongside when travelling through a vilklage afterwards,i said to him,ive got no brakes left,ha ha ,he said,i know i can smell them,also a littkle judder when standing hard on brakes,normal driving they are great though,ie speed limit and slightly above,but once hot they are crap.

This all seems to be pointing to me having "moody" (either by repackaging, or out-and-out fake) stuff then. Whatever;- I'm still going for Meyle next.

Just ordered the Brembo set from my post on page 1, will see how good they look when they get here.

EDIT

This is what's in the box...

12003937_10153757656098436_5887799091383

I'm happy with that, not quite sure about the brake shoes but they look okay to my eye and only hold the car still when parked. Febi Bilstein sensors and a Mintex spring kit should be good, all that and a hernia for £225 (around 50KG total weight).

Edited by Stonesie

I had black diamond discs and pads for my last road trip, and suffered no brake fade. And we got the discs hot, very hot!

Might have to get some for the e90. However, OEM discs and pads handled braking from 140mph no worries :)

On 10/24/2015, 6:06:51, StuBeeDoo said:

Have you noticed that you get a sticky residue outline of the pads on the discs?

Not sure if this is what you meant Stu? My car's not been driven for the past seven days, we've had cold misty wet weather mainly. I decided to swap the summer wheels with winters today, and found this on the front wheel, you can see the outline of the pads befor the disc got rotated (I was testing I had jacked the car high enough off the ground, so span the wheel )...:

IMG_0169_zps5sszqfgb.jpg

IMG_0170_zpsdaenmgjr.jpg

IMG_0171_zps33mlzdqo.jpg

IMG_0172_zpsfjilgmd0.jpg

Anyway, after I swapped the wheels I went on a small drive and all brown rust had gone ...

IMG_0178_zps1lrtsgb0.jpg

I don't think the zinc coated discs rust, but I think the brake dust does (?) Just thought I'd share my experiences of Meyle before you commit! 

7 hours ago, The_Judge_ said:

Not sure if this is what you meant Stu?................

Yes, Suf, that's pretty-much how mine go.

7 hours ago, The_Judge_ said:

I don't think the zinc coated discs rust, but I think the brake dust does (?)

Actually, I had been wondering if there's a lot of ferrous content in the pad material.  I seem to be getting rust on my alloys, as well. :wacko:  :rolleyes:  Whatever, I'm going to be replacing the front pads later this week.  I've bought a set of Ferodo Premier.  The discs will go again, I'm not changing them just for the hell of it.