shabir

winter E46

So guys and girls, this is going to be my 1st winter with the 323 vert, and i drive from Birmingham to Nuneaton daily for work, am i going to be doomed come icy roads, and snow if we get any real snow that is.

in the past ive mainly had a FWD car so never had many issues, my E39 wouldnt get out the drive when i had that drive is on a slope, but the E46 never gets a chance to go in the drive so that wont be a issue.

Whats your guys experiences with these in winter? My brother never had many issues with his E30 while it was a 320, but know that its powered by a 2.8 stroker with a aggressive cam, it just spins as you cant take off slowly with low revs

They drive fine ...... With winter tyres :)

They drive fine ...... With winter tyres :)

damn it, just had tyres put on was thinking of getting winters put on early but forgot to tell my bro when i left the car with him

My 330 vert auto is possibly one of the worst cars I've driven on snow or ice, on normal summer tyres that is

Driven with confidence and not stupidity I find RWD cars handle the snow as well if not better than a FWD

The reason for this is when you get in a slippery situation, wheels staring to spin you can steer the car with a bit of sideways motion but unlike a FWD that no matter what steering angle you put in veers off to the kurb.

I live on a slight downhill gradient turning a tight right hander 50 yrds from my home to a steep climb for a further 75 yrds, drop the traction give it the beans and up you go leaving all the useless muppets in their Fiestas scratching their heads why a BMW 330ci can get up the hill and they can't. This has happened on quite a few occasions over the last couple of winters. All this is done using Verds Vorti summer tyres too.

On the flat or down hill or hitting a patch of ice there's no difference just drive sensibly to the conditions.

Had no issues with my E46 when on winter tyres. The reduced braking distance saved my bacon a couple of times! Had i been on summer tyres, in those conditions, would have been different outcome!

I already have my winters on, way back in 2010 I was driving a 2.8 E30 with Toyo T1R's when all the snow came down (8" in a few hours) and that was Interesting:blink:

Camskill is a good place to buy from, I got my Vradestein snowtrack 5's for about £55 a corner then had to get them fitted.

Edited by Stonesie

Had no issues with my E46 when on winter tyres. The reduced braking distance saved my bacon a couple of times! Had i been on summer tyres, in those conditions, would have been different outcome!

It almost caused me problems when the car behind couldn't stop in time!

I was approaching a set of lights, and it was snowy, and they went amber/red, so I braked, knowing I'd stop in time with my winters. The car behind clearly wasn't going to stop in time, and I saw as much in the mirrors. By this point, I'd already stopped, but managed to pull away again so that they only hit me with a 1-2mph closing speed. Wasn't even worth getting out of the car to check the damage the impact was so gentle.

I also drove mine around with very low tread (under 2mm) summer tyres in the snow, and it didn't ever get stuck, although it was in no way as happy as it was on the winters.

So guys and girls, this is going to be my 1st winter with the 323 vert, and i drive from Birmingham to Nuneaton daily for work, am i going to be doomed come icy roads, and snow if we get any real snow that is.

in the past ive mainly had a FWD car so never had many issues, my E39 wouldnt get out the drive when i had that drive is on a slope, but the E46 never gets a chance to go in the drive so that wont be a issue.

Whats your guys experiences with these in winter? My brother never had many issues with his E30 while it was a 320, but know that its powered by a 2.8 stroker with a aggressive cam, it just spins as you cant take off slowly with low revs

I've driven every winter in my e46 with summer tyres and experienced no problems at all, the only sideways action I got was when I made the car do it in the work car park.

I've driven every winter in my e46 with summer tyres and experienced no problems at all, the only sideways action I got was when I made the car do it in the work car park.

Indeed. While I realise that winter tyres are probably a significant upgrade on semi-slick/track-type tyres, a good summer tyre with decent wet grip (e.g. Eagle F1) has always been fine for me in the winter, even in RWD cars much more powerful than the e46.

Having said that, if I lived in the middle of nowhere or waaay up North where snow tends to be more likely, I would probably invest in a set.

if the going gets tough you can put a couple of bags of sand in the boot for extra weight and to throw on the road if needed

cool so looks like i should be ok then, ill see how it goes on the current tyres, and once the ice etc kicks in if i find long drives are going to be a pain ill switch up to winters. i use busy main roads anyway so hopefully no issues would come my way. 

if the going gets tough you can put a couple of bags of sand in the boot for extra weight and to throw on the road if needed

Years ago I bought 5 large bags of sand put them in the boot during the bad winter weather. All it did was cost me £20 for no change at all.

Tyres are the main thing to look at, winter tyres especially.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

20-30kg in the back of a 1600kg car... Not surprised it didn't do anything!

i dont think i want to add any extra weight to the rear end, I find the AC Schnitzer springs have given the car a huge drop, and certain people who are know banned to sit in the back cause the tyres to rub on the inner arch over bumps lmfao

I suppose it's all down to what you can afford, but personally I wouldn't be without a set of winter tyres. :thumbsup:

I suppose it's all down to what you can afford, but personally I wouldn't be without a set of winter tyres. :thumbsup:

Agreed but i'd rather have my 4 x4 :)

Easier solution - get a job where you can work from home! :D

I bought a spare set of 17's years ago to put snow tyres on.. But every year since whenever it snows heavily I just work from home. My previous manager was cool with it, and now at my current company my manager is in the states so it's much easier now to get a day off, sorry I mean WFHDFA.. :P

If you go for winter tyres check with your insurance company. A mate of mine had a prang a few winters ago and his insurance company wouldnt cover him as he hadnt declared his winter tyres as 'modifications' :wacko:

If you go for winter tyres check with your insurance company. A mate of mine had a prang a few winters ago and his insurance company wouldnt cover him as he hadnt declared his winter tyres as 'modifications' :wacko:

Stupid, isn't it? I think Admiral issued a statement saying they don't need to know about winter tyres though.

To be honest, it's totally down to circumstance. If you live in an area with high risk of frequent snow/ice and you need your car to be on-call 24/7 (e.g. sick relatives, unavoidable work travel), then winter tyres make perfect sense.

However, for dealing with a few cold/frosty mornings in the majority of the UK, and the option to work at home on the couple of days that it actually snows, winter tyres are an unnecessary (and expensive) luxury.

Hmm in the same boat myself not sure what to do and I live in Scotland! :o

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/93097/winter-tyres-test-20152016-reviews-and-uk-prices

There's a nice video on there showing the difference, an extreme case but it illustrates the point... If I was in Scotland, I wouldn't hesitate.

Easier solution - get a job where you can work from home! :D

I bought a spare set of 17's years ago to put snow tyres on.. But every year since whenever it snows heavily I just work from home. My previous manager was cool with it, and now at my current company my manager is in the states so it's much easier now to get a day off, sorry I mean WFHDFA.. :P

Ill have to move the lab to my house then, dont think ill have space, and rather not have loads of blood samples in my house lol

thats the dumbest thing ive heard, in that sense using tyres different to what the car left factory (such as brand etc) with could be argued as a modification. 

thats the dumbest thing ive heard, in that sense using tyres different to what the car left factory (such as brand etc) with could be argued as a modification. 

Dumb?  Yes.  But I've heard it too.

Edited by StuBeeDoo