macp

Replacing auto shifter and steering wheel

I noticed my knob has a crack on it fnarr, fnarr :D

The shifting knob on my auto box has a hairline crack and im thinking of replacing it. Also im considering swapping the steering wheel for something chunkier. Anybody done this ?

I've just done both of these. I bought a cool looking gun-metal mirror finish auto knob which looks and feels great. Was on eBay and easy to find, see picture. And I'm waiting for a retrimmed chunky steering wheel from Jack at Royal Steering Wheels - Google him. I'll post a picture for that next week when it arrives:)

6550AE3C-14A3-487E-8AC5-27AB04515DBB_zps

Thanks Rich Was it easy to change I saw a youtube vid where  a crowbar wrapped in cloth is used.

Just looked at your knob :o:D and as its plain leather it could work. Mine currently is walnut or something similar and the dash has matching inserts but the seats are black leather.

Edit:

Just found the vid https://youtu.be/WlmWuOg5fac

I've got the later style knob and an smg steering wheel. 

Both brilliant mods. 

20141028_193711_zpstiyfstnz.jpg

20141028_193753_zpsthbllqry.jpg

20140805_184015_zps7ushzrqu.jpg

I love the wheel (and the paddle setup), but that shifter stands out like a sore thumb against the interior. It just doesn't fit with any of the rest of the trim like the original does.

They do 2 versions of that later style shifter, a dummy one for looks or one that has all the functioning lights that change through P, R, N, D, like an OEM shifter, which is quite cool

Edited by Rich_D

They're all interchangeable as far as I know, my E90 one looks the same as the E39 one, with a different insert (silver not wood).

You can get other wood inserts, depends what colour the trim is?

Example >>>

$_57.JPG

They also do full wood look ones, there are loads of options on eBay

Edited by Rich_D