hh1

Can anyone shed some light on these android head units please?

Well installed my Xtrons S07 is far better than my last unit, which is best sat nav which won't require a data connection, also downloaded poweramp but doesn't seem to work to clever 

With these Android units like the Xtrons, how does it work in terms of the iPhone and, say, internet radio? Do you download the app on the head unit via the iPhone connection, then use it like that? If so, do you have to leave personal hotspot on all the time, or does it use the data connection via bluetooth?

Also, does it have an iPod connection at the rear? (so you can put iPod in glovebox) ? And does it show the artwork etc (ffwd/rewind or is it just play>next etc)

On 2/21/2016 at 22:05, Fitz2282 said:

Well installed my Xtrons S07 is far better than my last unit, which is best sat nav which won't require a data connection, also downloaded poweramp but doesn't seem to work to clever 

Mine was supplied with iGo. I've updated to 2015 maps, speed cameras and POI's and I have no complaints.

19 hours ago, SeanyK said:

With these Android units like the Xtrons, how does it work in terms of the iPhone and, say, internet radio? Do you download the app on the head unit via the iPhone connection, then use it like that? If so, do you have to leave personal hotspot on all the time, or does it use the data connection via bluetooth?

Also, does it have an iPod connection at the rear? (so you can put iPod in glovebox) ? And does it show the artwork etc (ffwd/rewind or is it just play>next etc)

You have to use personal hotspot / wi-fi tethering all the time you need a data connection, or get a 3G dongle or MiFi device. The Bluetooth connection is just for audio and calls.

They have two USB sockets hanging out of the back, you can hook the iPod up to one of them and leave the other so you can plug in USB sticks etc.

My iPod classic doesn't seem to work with this unit not overly bothered will be getting a dongle and stream spotify on the app, over all am pleased with the unit, although when in reverse radio stops and screen displays no signal I realize this is because I don't have a camera is there anyway I can disable this 

My iPod classic doesn't seem to work with this unit not overly bothered will be getting a dongle and stream spotify on the app, over all am pleased with the unit, although when in reverse radio stops and screen displays no signal I realize this is because I don't have a camera is there anyway I can disable this 

Mine is on Android 4.4.4, and to stop the unit switching the screen to the reverse input, I think you have to cut a wire either to the Canbus box or one that goes direct from the stereo to the large connector that connects to the car. I think the reverse signal wire is on the main plug though and not one going to the Canbus box. It's annoying, but I've checked everywhere for a setting, even in the factory settings bit.

However, there is a partial solution, if you just want sounds when reversing, on mine the following setting controls this (display still switches though):

Settings -> Car Settings -> Driving Settings -> Reverse attenuation

The default settings is to mute the volume (called off), but you can set it to full loudness, or I have set it to -3, so it is a bit quieter when reversing, helps to hear what's around the car and concentrate on the manoeuvre a bit more if the music is loud.

Edited by Tim-Ci

12 hours ago, Tim-Ci said:

Settings -> Car Settings -> Driving Settings -> Reverse attenuation

The default settings is to mute the volume (called off), but you can set it to full loudness, or I have set it to -3, so it is a bit quieter when reversing, helps to hear what's around the car and concentrate on the manoeuvre a bit more if the music is loud.

Changed the settings on my unit to what you've mentioned above, so at least if I am reversing the radio is on but quiter so can here the parking sensors 

Cheers for that 

But again looking though all the options available on these units could be endless and half the stuff I have no idea what it does specially in the factory settings 

On 2/23/2016 at 10:36, Tewkes said:

How do you update iGo maps?

Also, how do we go about charging and cabling an iPhone 6? Lighting cable into the rear USB or something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPSPower.net forums have all the details and map downloads linked. It's worth registering there, there's a lot of information about GPS apps and systems.

On 2/23/2016 at 10:56, Fitz2282 said:

First of all adjust the reverse attenuation in the settings. If you don't have a camera and don't intend on installing one, then cut the pink 'cam' cable on the connector loom. That will stop the canbus box telling the headunit that the car is in reverse.

3 hours ago, dontpannic said:

GPSPower.net forums have all the details and map downloads linked. It's worth registering there, there's a lot of information about GPS apps and systems.

First of all adjust the reverse attenuation in the settings. If you don't have a camera and don't intend on installing one, then cut the pink 'cam' cable on the connector loom. That will stop the canbus box telling the headunit that the car is in reverse.

Well I might add one later on so wouldn't want to cut the wire just yet, but least I've got a compromise at moment 

Thanks though 

9 hours ago, Fitz2282 said:

Changed the settings on my unit to what you've mentioned above, so at least if I am reversing the radio is on but quiter so can here the parking sensors 

Cheers for that 

But again looking though all the options available on these units could be endless and half the stuff I have no idea what it does specially in the factory settings 

No worries, yes there are loads of options. For the factory settings, most of them should be left alone, except for the audio or logo sections, here is some info:

This link might help shed some more light on the factory settings: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcb-android-head-unit-general/factory-settings-menu-t3250647/post64592747#post64592747

Also, not mentioned there, there are some extra settings that say "disabled" for an option that is fitted, but leave these alone, sometimes disabled just means a certain mode is disabled, the naming is misleading. I think it was a setting called Canbus, the default was disabled, which is how it should be even though the stereo is using Canbus signals. If in doubt, leave the factory setting well alone

question for anyone using poweramp... how do you get it to stop when you switch apps. eg if im listening to my usb music through poweramp and the switch to radio poweramp music still continues in the background so you hear that as well as the radio. 

i installed poweramp after switching to the malaysk rom so dont know if this is why??

cheers

26 minutes ago, Lawyered07 said:

question for anyone using poweramp... how do you get it to stop when you switch apps. eg if im listening to my usb music through poweramp and the switch to radio poweramp music still continues in the background so you hear that as well as the radio. 

i installed poweramp after switching to the malaysk rom so dont know if this is why??

cheers

It's always been like this, you have to pause before switching!

What are the benefits of the malaysk rom when compared to the oem??

Ah OK thanks. 

Changing the rom is the equivalent of rooting your phone. One of the main reasons is the xposed modules that can be installed afterwards. So if you're thinking about it that's a good place to start reading. There are some cool little bits you can do too (like custom boot images, removing the bloatware) but I'm still not sure whether I prefer it. 

You can basically change anything you want so it's going to take a bit of time and fiddling to get it how I want. 

I'm using a FUSE ROM by booroondook. Didn't like how Malaysk seemed to get a copy of "how to skin an app for dummies" and skinned everything he could get his hands on lol.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcb-software-development/rom-fuse-support-t3274272

Finally able to pick one of these up, looking at this one specifically http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171842565795

Managed to find out its MCU version (IAP-15L2K61S2) but they don't seem to know if it'll support a bluetooth OBD dongle, or if its flat pin or round pin.

I know its been said that they're all the same unit just with different names, but does anyone here have that unit that are able to answer the above questions, or point me in the direction of a better unit / seller?

57 minutes ago, jamesfoley said:

Finally able to pick one of these up, looking at this one specifically http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171842565795

Managed to find out its MCU version (IAP-15L2K61S2) but they don't seem to know if it'll support a bluetooth OBD dongle, or if its flat pin or round pin.

I know its been said that they're all the same unit just with different names, but does anyone here have that unit that are able to answer the above questions, or point me in the direction of a better unit / seller?

They usually give you two adaptors, so it will fit either flat or round pin.

Its only the sat-nav connectors that they don't support - there are separate connectors available for this though.

Thats fair enough, I just wasn't sure if the steering wheel control wiring changed with the plug change from round to flat, and didn't want to be stuck with the wrong plug.

I'm assuming they do support generic bluetooth OBD adaptors though right? Mine is a ScanTool OBDLink LX which works on my phone with Torque just fine, but the eBay seller came back saying that it doesn't support them. :huh:

I've got the OBDlink LX which works perfectly on my Eonon GA5150F, looks almost exactly the same as the EBay one you posted so I imagine the hardware and operating system on that one will be similar, so it would play well with the OBDLink. Mine runs Android 4.4.4 as well.

Also there's a setting in the Torque app. to allow the OBDlink's to go into power saving mode, worth checking that out, as it might help save a bit of battery. The OBDlink may well go into power saving mode anyway whether or not you've got torque - I think it takes 10 minutes after locking the car, and all the indicator lights on the OBDlink turn off when it's asleep. A mirror or piece or white paper could help check the OBDlink has gone to sleep and the lights turned off, once you've locked the car.

Edited by Tim-Ci

I'll add my two cents...

I've had one of the quad core, high resolution ones with Andriod 4.4.4 for about 9 months. For what the cost, they are surprisingly good. They certainly update the dash nicely, and fir is excellent if you take the time to get the fit just right (not hard to do). One of the main reasons I bought one is to get my CD collection onto a SD card which works very well, although 32GB is the maximum that mine supports. There is supposed to be a firmware upgrade to Lollipop available at some point and maybe that will support larger SD cards. The USB input accepts larger sizes I'm told.

Installation is plug-and-play even for my HK setup despite what I read on the web before I purchased it. I have no complaints about the sound quality for a car stereo.

There are definitely some shortcomings, which you might expect. Some are more annoying than other.

1. There is a hissing sound that is constant, i.e. doesn't increase with volume, and it can be easily heard during quite music passages and when the volume is turned very low. It goes away when you mute it, so it's internal to the unit as opposed to a grounding issue. Annoying
  2. Radio reception is much worse than the OE radio. This after trying all the suggestions on how to improve this known issue. Annoying
  3. Automatic brightness control doesn't seem to work at all, or only has a negligible effect when the headlights are on. This makes night driving unpleasant as you have a bright torch in the middle of your dash. If you turn the brightness to minimum manually, it's no longer bright enough in the sunshine, and still not dim enough for night driving. I resorted to getting a difference launcher app that replaces the standard one and which has a nice screen saver for night driving. Very Annoying
  4. The screen has lots of bleeding of the backlight around the edges and shows up especially at night. Black is no longer black (see image below). Annoying
  5. Boot time is long (>60 sec) but you do get used to it. Annoying
  6. From warm boot, the unit seems to decide randomly which function it should start, i.e. sometimes it's what you last listened to, sometimes it thinks the DVD player might be a good thing to invoke, or the AV-IN, or the radio, or the music player. it only does it from warm boot. From cold boot, it always remembers what you listened to last. Very Annoying

Would I buy one again? On balance yes, though, I wish I could fix the "very annoying" bits. I am tempted to pull the unit to bits to see if I can improve the backlight bleeding issue.

20160324_194412.jpg

Edited by 2clubsp