hh1

Can anyone shed some light on these android head units please?

2 minutes ago, The_Judge_ said:

Is there a preferred USB dongle that works easily with the XTrons units? I'm fed up of having to turn hotspot on and off on my phone (and also need a solution which my wife can understand (!)

Ignore, just found this page: http://xtrons.co.uk/car-media-fitting-accessories/3g-dongles.html

I'm using a Three provided Huawei 3G USB dongle. It's an early one so only supports 3.6Mbps throughput but is OK for traffic and streaming spotify in good signal areas. Using it with the SIM card from my EE Car Wifi unit.

Thanks for the headsup re: viper4android - I keep seeing references to it but never got round to trying it out. Might give that a go later.

So fitted my android unit last night running 6.0 with 2gm ram & 28gb internal hard drive.

I need a list of best apps to install for nav/music etc!

I use spotify on my phone daily & i know you can get the spotify app on the android unit but i dont want to have to hotspot my phone connection for it

to work as im scared it will use all my data.

Does anyone know if 'hotspotting' and Iphone will use more data than just using spotify on the phone itself?

Hope the new unit is working well so far.

I can recommend Waze for navigation, it has speed camera alerts, traffic redirection, and also users can report hazards such as broken down cars, police speed guns etc., which are then alerted to other people driving along the same stretch of road. It does use a bit of data though, around 10-15 megabytes an hour. Google maps now has a driving mode, and offline map capability, which might save some data usage in theory. I don't use it though but many do.

As you are concerned about data usage, I would make sure you check the Google Play update apps. settings - make sure it is not set to Auto Update apps., then it will just notify you of app. updates but not download them without your permission. Then you can connect to home Wifi when convenient and update the apps. manually by going into Play Store.

I would think that as long as the sound quality setting on Spotify is the same on the head unit as on your Iphone (if there is one, I don't use Spotify), the data usage should be the same whether your head unit is doing the streaming or your phone.

Brilliant thank you for the info Tim,

I agree with your theory reference Spotify i will have to monitor usage over the next week or so and see what it does.

Reference maps i would like to use a offline only maps as i do alot of abroad driving so data isnt alsways an option to use.

The system has IGO installed which works okay but seems a bit basic, Can anyone recommend anything better for offline? 

On 11/07/2017 at 09:18, LJColeman said:

So fitted my android unit last night running 6.0 with 2gm ram & 28gb internal hard drive.

I need a list of best apps to install for nav/music etc!

I use spotify on my phone daily & i know you can get the spotify app on the android unit but i dont want to have to hotspot my phone connection for it

to work as im scared it will use all my data.

Does anyone know if 'hotspotting' and Iphone will use more data than just using spotify on the phone itself?

Which unit is this?

p.s. for Navigation use Route66 - I believe it's called Magic Earth Pro. Has offline maps for uk, europe, us etc, fullscreen and can fetch traffic info if you want.

12 hours ago, The_Judge_ said:

p.s. for Navigation use Route66 - I believe it's called Magic Earth Pro. Has offline maps for uk, europe, us etc, fullscreen and can fetch traffic info if you want.

Brilliant thank you mate i will give that a try, Ive been trying Sygic this week but seems ok... 

Ill give that a go also.

I run iGO NextGen from gpspower.net. Offline full europe maps, speed cameras, speed limits, traffic, poi's and full alert points - I much prefer it to Google Maps.

I always hotspot my phone to my HU - I have 12Gb of data anyway so it doesn't really make much of a difference on usage for me - though sound quality playing spotify installed on the hu will be better than streaming over bluetooth.