Nimraynn

External temp sensor

Hi guys,

Don't ask me how, but my outside temperature sensor seems to have fallen off and got run over. The whole section between the bumper and the passenger side wheel arch has gone missing and I remember hearing a clatter under the wheel as I ran something over earlier in the day when I spotted it wasn't working.

When it's done this it's snapped the cable pretty cleanly, so when its wet, water gets to the cable and it can't make its mind up whether it's +50*C or -40*C... or anywhere in between that it feels appropriate at the time.

Does this sensor have any bearing on anything else other than the outside temperature display on the trip computer? I'm not overly bothered about knowing what the outside temperature is. It's nice to know, but I'm not bothered. If I don't have to fix it, I probably won't bother. Not right now anyway.

If that is all it does though, is there any way I can turn off the temperature warning? The one where it beeps and flashes the temperature up when it goes below +3*C? I had it this morning where it was a bit wet and it kept changing above and below this mark, so every time it dropped, it started beeping and flashing at me claiming it was -40*C when it clearly wasn't. This gets annoying, especially when it does it randomly for a few minutes.

Thanks,

Mike

Get a new loom and sensor off eBay, really not very expensive or hard to fit. If you don't want to, strip both ends of the wires where they have split and either twisting together or separate them and insulate. One of those options will read + 50 the other will read - 50. Choose the one that reads + 50 and you're no longer get low temperature warnings. 

I wish mine would fall off. It scares me to death when it bleeps to tell me it's 3' outside. Does it not realise I had to be outside to get inside the car and I know when it's bloody cold out there as a result! 

You can't have mine though. I like to see how hot it gets in ze summer! 

Kirkynut 

I had the same issue - 'luckily' I went back to the place I caught the kerb and although the grass on the verge I was parked on had been cut, I found the sensor, the plug, and the wiring lol. Soldered the connector back on, plugged in the sensor and stuck it to the inside of the bumper near the foglight and it's all back to normal!

Didn't realise it linked into the climate, but now you say it, I have noticed the climate doing funny things while the temp sensor is going up and down.

I'll see if I can grab a new one, although with the cabling being ripped off, I'm not sure I'm confident enough to replace it. Don't really want to have to trace the whole loom back either. I'll see what I can do :)

If you're missing the panel itself, it should be nice and easy - remove the passenger side fog light and you can get in that way. The sensor is only £6 on eBay, and I'm sure I've seen sensor and wiring kits for cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-E39-E60-E65-X5-Outside-Temperature-Sensor-with-wiring-loom-connection-/361442136872?hash=item5427a15328:g:fWoAAOSw0e9UyDYc